Just out of Covid Hospitel

2 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

A small fine

Right now, that is true. However, he is being advised by many here to just wait until he leaves the country and pay the fine. Sure, his current intention is to leave at the weekend. If that actually happens, the risk is low and the fine not too much. However, time and again, I have seen cases where people think "it will soon be resolved, and I can afford a small fine". In practice, he may leave at the weekend, or may not. Various things can happen to derail his plans, especially in the current environment. In his position, if not suffering brain fog as a side effect of the Covid infection, I would promptly sort this out before procrastinating into a crisis.

8 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

But in reality does this really happen? A random stop on the street and asked about visa status, it's certainly never happened to me or anyone i know in 20 years+.

The issue is getting into a wreck / altercation or any sort of nefarious activity, then you're up the creek without a poodle for sure.

You obviously have never lived or moved around in the jurisdiction of the Thonglor police department. They used to place some of their fine officers at the Ekamai bus station and do random checks (luggage, pockets, everything short of cavity searches) on arriving and departing farangs. No passport or valid visa, and you would get an invitation to their Soi 55 office. 

16 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

But in reality does this really happen? A random stop on the street and asked about visa status, it's certainly never happened to me or anyone i know in 20 years+.

The issue is getting into a wreck / altercation or any sort of nefarious activity, then you're up the creek without a poodle for sure.

Not common but it does sometimes happen. Certainly anyone on overstay should keep a very low profile and leave the country as soon as possible.

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Not common but it does sometimes happen. Certainly anyone on overstay should keep a very low profile and leave the country as soon as possible.

Not that uncommon in certain areas of  Central Bangkok. Extremely unlikely in the sticks.