Assistance please.

Hi all ???? I realize this is a very basic, open ended question. But I have to start somewhere. I'm contemplating building a small, one bedroom house, I mean having built, within 12 to 18 months time. It will be my retirement home. I don't need any advice or info on the land aspect, that's already sorted.

I'm thinking  between 50 & 60 sq. m.   No decision on base of the house as yet. Concrete slab. Raised on concrete or steel stumps. Wouldn't want it to be anymore than 1 m above ground level.  Suggestions, advice please.

First question is what is the cheapest, most economical  construction material, method?  

1. Concrete block & rendered.

2. Framed & clad. I don't mind the "Sheara type" cladding. I guess steel frame ? Drywall interior ?

3. Other.

4. Corrugated gal roof ?

Any idea of cost per sq. m ?

Thanks all. 

60 sqm is a very small house ....  

anyways,  your best solution would be ;

Concrete block rendered with zincalume roof sheeting is the way to go ....  imo

The problem with the ' sheera board ' cladding on steel frame is that it looks tacky , and it's construction is time consuming with cutting, drilling, fixing etc ...   (  find me a builder who can do a professional job ? )

prices will vary depending on the builder,  how far he has to travel every day, also how far to the nearest hardware store,  block supplier etc .... 

If the builder is nearby and has suppliers at his disposal then price could be as low as 8,000 per sqm.

The other problem with pricing now is that everything has increased somewhat,  blocks, concrete, roofing, re-bar, steel, sand etc ....    therefore making it very hard to put a figure on house construction.

Your best bet is to find something you like and get a quote on fully constructed to lock up.  Check it includes all electrical and plumbing obviously. 

A couple of nice homes below with tiled roofs :

image.png.e28126cba4b0317f86dcd60c2cf9031f.png

image.png.8f9f73b5273e1903c83f136a84141f73.png

• Like 1

As stated above, find a home builder in your area, pick a model and have them quote it. 

What's cheapest does not make any difference if you can't find anyone to do it, or if the construction is inappropriate for the area. 

What's cheapest for the area, is likely going to be what everyone else all the Thais are doing in your area. 

You also need to decide what level of comfort you expect. Construction with and without AC would be very different. 

• Like 1

On 1/13/2022 at 2:39 PM, Crossy said:

Madam built this, Shera cladding on a steel frame, as a replacement for the old wooden family home (in the background) for under 1MB.

Last year, Ayutthaya area (Pha Chi).

Obviously much larger than you are looking at but to give some idea.

235036032_3030270880522548_7736606762727286324_n.jpg.e8b74a7b34a5369122781fa74c41f4a3.jpg

Thanks Crossy. Ok if I send a PM with a few questions ?  Cheers.

On 1/13/2022 at 3:05 PM, steven100 said:

60 sqm is a very small house ....  

anyways,  your best solution would be ;

Concrete block rendered with zincalume roof sheeting is the way to go ....  imo

The problem with the ' sheera board ' cladding on steel frame is that it looks tacky , and it's construction is time consuming with cutting, drilling, fixing etc ...   (  find me a builder who can do a professional job ? )

prices will vary depending on the builder,  how far he has to travel every day, also how far to the nearest hardware store,  block supplier etc .... 

If the builder is nearby and has suppliers at his disposal then price could be as low as 8,000 per sqm.

The other problem with pricing now is that everything has increased somewhat,  blocks, concrete, roofing, re-bar, steel, sand etc ....    therefore making it very hard to put a figure on house construction.

Your best bet is to find something you like and get a quote on fully constructed to lock up.  Check it includes all electrical and plumbing obviously. 

A couple of nice homes below with tiled roofs :

image.png.e28126cba4b0317f86dcd60c2cf9031f.png

image.png.8f9f73b5273e1903c83f136a84141f73.png

Agreed, a very small house. I guess you could call it a granny, or more appropriately a grandad flat. The site is on the outskirts of a reasonably sized town, not city. all supplies available locally.

On 1/13/2022 at 3:21 PM, Yellowtail said:

As stated above, find a home builder in your area, pick a model and have them quote it. 

What's cheapest does not make any difference if you can't find anyone to do it, or if the construction is inappropriate for the area. 

What's cheapest for the area, is likely going to be what everyone else all the Thais are doing in your area. 

You also need to decide what level of comfort you expect. Construction with and without AC would be very different. 

Thanks. Definitely air in the bedroom, probably whole house.

This is a 36 sqm guest unit, built about 5 years ago. Local builder, 15 crew, Chiang Rai area. Only power tool was a welder for the roof frames, everything else by hand.

Total cost 350,000 baht, can't buy a new car that cheap.

IMG20170527151336.jpg

IMG20170326074711.jpg

IMG20170311081521.jpg

IMG20170305071119_1.jpg

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

This is a 36 sqm guest unit, built about 5 years ago. Local builder, 15 crew, Chiang Rai area. Only power tool was a welder for the roof frames, everything else by hand.

Total cost 350,000 baht, can't buy a new car that cheap.

IMG20170527151336.jpg

IMG20170326074711.jpg

IMG20170311081521.jpg

IMG20170305071119_1.jpg

Thanks for that. Wow, even the posts made on site. Usually made @ a factory & just installed on site.

• Like 1