#1 reason to own a Benz

pedro01

1 hour ago, digbeth said:

Both BMW and Benzes are just equally unreliable, looking at how much Lexus charges extra over both European brands here, I'd say reliability has its price

When i look at most of the taxies here in Denmark most are Mercedes Benz

and when i talk to the drivers, they say they are really reliable.

Never owned a car in my life, so have no clue about cars,

but if the majority of taxies are Mercedes, they can't really be that unreliable.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, gargamon said:

BMW = break my wallet.

I have a buddy with a Mercedes. $600 to get his oil changed.

Fools.

same thing with buddy who owned porsche...everytime he took for oil change it was always something else and cost $1000 +.....he finally got tired of it and bought a toyota which has had zero problems...

• Like 1

#1 reason to own a Benz? I'll give you more than one reason. Quality, reliabilty, service and comfort. Owned 4 (all bought brand new) Mercedes since 2005. Done about 650,000 Miles in them. Never been stranded at the roadside. OK there's been a few issues but Mercedes always sorted it fast and never off the road for more than 2 days. 3 year unlimited mileage warranty with no quibble - ever. Good value for money and peace of mind in my opinion. Before that owned 4 Toyotas all bought new and they were good too. Other than Mercedes or Toyota the only other brand I would buy is a McLaren - but I haven't won the lottery yet!

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Like 1

Just now, Albert Zweistein said:

I know very well what a Tesla is because I drive one but a Telsa I've never heard of. Besides it's not your business what I read or not.????

LOL, Sorry, now I get it.

I guess I was just typing too fast and did not proof read.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, In Full Agreement said:

If you buy a Lexus, you'll have reliability, comfort and luxury for a lower price than a benz.

However, they are very lack lustre looking vehicle, with no outstanding visible design features. No pizzaz

In the almost 3 years since my wife bought a Benz, it's cost us a total of less than 10,000 baht and it's been very reliable.

Had a few minor issues, all covered by warrantee and serviced immediately when we drove in without an appointment.

The service at the Chiang Rai Benz dealer has been fantastic. Next car will definitely be bought from them.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

What makes me laugh Bm & Merc owners still go on about having small issues my daughters Honda City has had no issues from new ever and has been serviced at Cockpit from new aswell.

I know - this "foreign object lodged in brake pads" is certainly never going to happen on a Honda City.

Nor is a gang of Swedish Au Pairs likely to queue up for a ride in one either.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, pedro01 said:

I know - this "foreign object lodged in brake pads" is certainly never going to happen on a Honda City.

Nor is a gang of Swedish Au Pairs likely to queue up for a ride in one either.

You don't know much about motors.

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

You don't know much about motors.

Correct. But I know my way around a Swedish au pair.

My first car was a uk Austin Metro. You could take the engine apart blindfolded. 

Now, I dont recognize half the stuff under the hood.

1 hour ago, Excel said:

Love it when gibberish is posted. The last "Benz" was made in 1923. Yet it appears most Thais and Americans can not spell Mercedes-Benz, or else they are simply uneducated to quote actual manufacturers correctly.

You are in a foreign country. Like many, they have their own language.

Its Benz here. Benz, Benz, Benz. 

If the words used here offend you, you can always go home.

• Sad 2

8 minutes ago, pedro01 said:

If the words used here offend you, you can always go home.

... oh no you didn’t just do that....  ... ‘if you don’t like it go home’ ??? ...  You’ve surely been on this forum long enough to know thats a silly cop-out !!!

& the discussion about ‘benz’...  is just pathetic (not aiming this comment at you at all BTW)....  

Benz, Merc etc.... who cares, we all know whats being discussed !!!.... 

Hope the car gets fixed.... its a shame when something so nice ends up in the shop.... 

• Like 2

On 1/14/2022 at 3:46 AM, jimmybcool said:

Funny stuff in this thread.  Lot of opinions and I wonder how many owned any of these brands.  For myself in the last 20 years I have owned (or wife unit) this incomplete list:  And I might have some of the years wrong.

200? E Class Merc

2010 S Class Merc

2012 Lexus LS

2012 ML Merc

2014 X3 BMW

2013 535 BMW

2017 540i BMW

2020 Porsche Cayenne

2021 BMW X5

2021 Audi Q3

There are pluses and minuses to all cars and these have their share.  Realistically though the only consistent minus is they cost more than some other cars that will do pretty much what they do.  For example a Honda will carry the same number of passengers and luggage just as well.  But, there are differences other than basic job in how well they do it etc.  You pay for it just as you pay more for a house with better views in a safer area.

With regards to Mercedes one advantage you are paying for versus the similar sized Honda is safety.  The attached picture was a car the wife unit was driving.  She was at a complete stop and a full size Chevrolet Silverado pickup truck rear ended her that police estimate was moving at 65 MPH (104 KPH) and never touched the brakes.  Yes, the whiplash caused some injury.  But no part of the passenger compartment was violated and no one would have been cut on anything.  I think in a Honda she might have died.  That has some added value.  And none of these cars ever left me on the side of the highway.  Ever.

spacer.png

Sounds like  you're partial to size and weight.

If so why not go for the full on experience..

15137572941093689795biggest-tank_hi.png.897be95253ca024be909e979cde93456.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Excel said:

Love it when gibberish is posted. The last "Benz" was made in 1923. Yet it appears most Thais and Americans can not spell Mercedes-Benz, or else they are simply uneducated to quote actual manufacturers correctly.

How dare you confuse Thais with Americans.      Are you a Thai basher or something?   ????

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

... oh no you didn’t just do that....  ... ‘if you don’t like it go home’ ??? ...  You’ve surely been on this forum long enough to know thats a silly cop-out !!!

& the discussion about ‘benz’...  is just pathetic (not aiming this comment at you at all BTW)....  

Benz, Merc etc.... who cares, we all know whats being discussed !!!.... 

Hope the car gets fixed.... its a shame when something so nice ends up in the shop.... 

It was only a stone in the brakes - but it didn't break off after the 45km trip back from Abac and so I was concerned it might have been something metallic and ruin the pads/disks - so I got them to tow it and sort it out - took 10 mins. 

Total cost 0THB including the tow.

I think these "mates that paid $1000 for an oil change" got ripped off.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

how much for a Lexus here? Had a 2nd hand one in USA and it was a great car.... 

Look to pay about 30-50% above the price of a similar model BMW/Benz.

The BMW/Benz are mostly assembled here, so import duty is only paid on the parts and is waaaaay less than import duty on an assembled vehicle.

This article is worth a read - it's 2017 - but outlines Toyota's plight in Thailand - https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/1364799/toyota-downshifts-lexus-view

In my previous life most of my colleagues believed they had to own a BMW to be "one of them". I really enjoyed parking  my little Renault in one of the best parking spots near the lifts. 

Also had plenty of spare cash for my lunch time mongering, all benefit for the Organisation as nothing could stop me at 14:30, after a good release. 

But, for those who think I am bragging, I don't have an especially large appendage,

Edited by Boomer6969