Popularity of crocodile meat rises among Thai consumers as pork prices surge

webfact

6 hours ago, Farangus said:

There is something strange in the photo... I advise you to just visit Big C and buy a fillet of crocodile tail for 135 baht (frozen food department).  I like meat from the tail of a crocodile, it is considered the most valuable.  And when I cook it, it smells delicious!  By the way, I don’t understand why everyone is talking about the similarity of a crocodile and a chicken.  It's more like lean pork.  In fact, I'm squeamish enough to handle raw chicken or pork without gloves.  But crocodile meat is pleasant to the touch even raw!  And one more thing: unlike pigs and chickens, crocodiles never get sick.  They have something like their own antibiotic in their blood.  Therefore, it is tasty, healthy and safe.

Whoa! I didn't even know that it's available at Big C! Many thanks for the tip

4 hours ago, timmyp said:

Whoa! I didn't even know that it's available at Big C! Many thanks for the tip

I think you can find it not in every Big C store, and the amount in the refrigerator is quite small.  Wild boar meat and deer meat are also usually sold there.  Plastic transparent packaging with white meat is small, only 250g.  That is, it is much more expensive than 70 baht per 1 kg (in fact, it is 540 baht per 1 kg).  But it's cheaper than buying from street food sellers.  I cut the meat into pieces, add some pepper, salt and lime for now.  After 2 hours, you can fry over low heat (the main thing is not to over-fry, otherwise the meat will become very hard).  I cooked several times for Thai girlfriends and they thought they were eating pork.  For some reason they are afraid to eat a crocodile ????

Edited by Farangus
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

It's all a matter of taste I suppose.

I had it as BBQ many times; from the tail is the best, other cuts get too dry. But I found it tastes not really like chicken; clearly different -- but very good.

As somebody else mentioned monitor lizard: this is one case of really yucky meat, and I am normally willing to pretty much eat anything.

16 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

Rabbits are easy to breed, grow fast, eat cheap food, and are low maintenance, , so why do Thai people not eat Rabbit more often.

The problem with raising rabbits in Thailand would be that they have really difficulties with the tropical temperatures here; one sees often pet rabbits being sold in Thailand, but they usually die soon if not kept in air-conditioned rooms.

What I have often wondered is, why they do not try to raise the rice field rats here, as they do in China; they are really delicious, not unlike rabbit meat but more fatty and therefore with more taste. However, all trials I have seen in Isaan failed, because the rats were extremely aggressive and it proved impossible to keep them together in one cage.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

Eating Croc Meat is fine, but there is one Meat that can be plentiful, cheap, and nutritious, and almost fat free if the animal is culled at the correct time. and Thais seem to stay well clear of it for one reason or another

I am talking about Rabbit Meat

Rabbits are easy to breed, grow fast, eat cheap food, and are low maintenance, , so why do Thai people not eat Rabbit more often.

Maybe with the price of Pork, and now Chicken prices being high, things will change 

Rabbit is good. I don’t know why it isn’t eaten by more people around the world. My best guess is it’s because they’re cute. 

My cousin used to breed Giant Rex rabbits, and some of them were huge. Easily as much meat on them as a turkey. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jts-khorat said:

The problem with raising rabbits in Thailand would be that they have really difficulties with the tropical temperatures here; one sees often pet rabbits being sold in Thailand, but they usually die soon if not kept in air-conditioned rooms.

What I have often wondered is, why they do not try to raise the rice field rats here, as they do in China; they are really delicious, not unlike rabbit meat but more fatty and therefore with more taste. However, all trials I have seen in Isaan failed, because the rats were extremely aggressive and it proved impossible to keep them together in one cage.

We had a couple of Rabbits as Pets in Thailand.

They used to run around the Garden all Day, and were caged at night for their safety.

Both lived to be over 3 Years old, and unfortunately both died within a couple of weeks of each other.

I also have wondered about those Rice Field Rats, and why they are not farmed commercially, but sure they are aggressive for sure.

I have seen some caught live in cages, and they are like a miniature Tasmanian Devil