Popularity of crocodile meat rises among Thai consumers as pork prices surge

webfact

Thai-PBS-World-logo-40.jpg

Thai consumers are turning to crocodile meat, as an alternative source of protein, after the price of pork skyrocketed due to the spread of African Swine Fever (ASF) in the country.

A crocodile farm posted on its Facebook page on Monday offering croc meat, starting at ฿70/kg. The post garnered over 4,100 likes and nearly 2,000 comments.

Netizens expressed interest in trying the exotic meat, as the price is much lower than that of pork, which now costs over ฿200/kg. The farm, as well as those who have tried it, confirmed it tastes similar to chicken.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/popularity-of-crocodile-meat-rises-among-thai-consumers-as-pork-prices-surge/

Logo-top-.png
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-01-14

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Joe Farang said:

Tried it once in a place after soi 7 Pattaya. It was a bit rubbery.

The problem with croc meet is there are only a few good cuts. You want to get the filets. They are still extremely lean, so you have to be real careful when you cook. Very similar to chicken breast. 

Its great of you slow cook it in a croc pot or cook with sous vide. I typically sous vide mine. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Netizens expressed interest in trying the exotic meat, as the price is much lower than that of pork, which now costs over ฿200/kg. The farm, as well as those who have tried it, confirmed it tastes similar to chicken.

I have eaten it while I was in South Africa and I agree it tasted good and not unlike chicken 

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Netizens expressed interest in trying the exotic meat, as the price is much lower than that of pork, which now costs over ฿200/kg.

Yep, never mind anything else! As long as it´s cheap enough, we will eat it. ????????????

Not saying it´s something wrong with crocodile meat, though. Just implying that the mind set of people is Fokked Up!

Edited by Gottfrid

It's all a matter of taste I suppose.

What meat is most similar to chicken?

Alligator (and crocodile!)

But not only is alligator meat very edible, it actually—you guessed it—tastes like chicken! Alligator and crocodile meat is popular everywhere from the American South to the Outback. If you're not sure which is which, find out exactly what the difference is between alligators and crocodiles.

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

I will take your word for it..... tried it in Louisiana some years ago and not keen. I see more dogs than crocs here!

Ditto, didn't do anything for me.  Matter of fact, one of the only meals ever, I didn't bother finishing.  

I've had it before, but always wondered about what I could do with it if I were cooking it. I'm going to order a few kilos from Shopee right now and explore. 

https://shopee.co.th/-ลดเลย!!-30-เพียงใส่โค้ด-JULINC30-เนื้อจระเข้-เนื้อลำตัว-ขนาด1kg.-i.2188071.3060570533

https://shopee.co.th/product/177410297/9914148902

30 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

Eating Croc Meat is fine, but there is one Meat that can be plentiful, cheap, and nutritious, and almost fat free if the animal is culled at the correct time. and Thais seem to stay well clear of it for one reason or another

I am talking about Rabbit Meat

Rabbits are easy to breed, grow fast, eat cheap food, and are low maintenance, , so why do Thai people not eat Rabbit more often.

Maybe with the price of Pork, and now Chicken prices being high, things will change 

Yeh I can not understand it either. Underground Mutton, bloody beautiful. I wish I knew where to purchase some.

Rabbits that is

39 minutes ago, timmyp said:

I'm going to order a few kilos from Shopee right now and explore. 

There is something strange in the photo... I advise you to just visit Big C and buy a fillet of crocodile tail for 135 baht (frozen food department).  I like meat from the tail of a crocodile, it is considered the most valuable.  And when I cook it, it smells delicious!  By the way, I don’t understand why everyone is talking about the similarity of a crocodile and a chicken.  It's more like lean pork.  In fact, I'm squeamish enough to handle raw chicken or pork without gloves.  But crocodile meat is pleasant to the touch even raw!  And one more thing: unlike pigs and chickens, crocodiles never get sick.  They have something like their own antibiotic in their blood.  Therefore, it is tasty, healthy and safe.

• Like 2