Thailand drops to 25th place on the top lists of places to visit for students

webfact

4 hours ago, rott said:

Germany: a 500 ml bottle of beer costs £0.52 on average. Long time since I've been there but that sounds like a very cheap shop price. Can anyone say what a bar/caff price would be on average. 

Lol. According to Google the average beer price in Germany is 3.60 $, and it will be even more in a bar. 

• Like 1

People travel for different reasons and people have changed.  Gap year kids tend to have a little more money and don't mind spending it.  I know several that were and are planning on taking a gap year and Thailand is not on their radar at all.  

If you want "Thailand-esque", then Bali is where they ALL want to go.  Thailand is a modern 2nd world country that is in many ways solidly third world and acts like it is first world.  

Indonesia is what Thailand was years ago.  Of course Indonesia didn't really change, Thailand did but that's the way things go.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ArcticFox said:

By the way.  I don't buy any of this. 
Covid has screwed the world's tourism. 

I want to go to the Netherlands - hummm cops firing live rounds into groups of protesters.  Nyah.
I want to go to Ireland - double jobbed and a nasal swab to have a beer.   Oh! Wait!  Triple jabbed now or you're "Unvaxxed?  Can we see your papers please?" <then you get Omicron anyway>

This really doesn't have anything to do with Thailand right now.  The pandemic has changed things and international travel is extremely limited.  There are countless horror stories out there of people having to quarantine after their holiday and even quarantining while transiting between flights.  Then quarantining when they get home.

Even those that travel feel that they aren't really travelling - it is difficult to even get around.  And flights are hard to get.

Give it three to six months and maybe travel will ease if this is indeed the end of the pandemic and the beginning of the endemic phase.  

12 hours ago, webfact said:

However, the survey perhaps did not take into consideration, that students love the laid-back style of many remote regions in the country known as the Land of Smiles.

There is no "however" in the survey. I consider 25th spot as a below average grade. Wake up Thailand before it's to late.

3 hours ago, ArcticFox said:

Mummy and Daddy separated from children and left in care of - Who?

When have children been separated from their children? I know there was the case where a Danish (I think) man was worried he would be separated from his daughter but wasn’t. Have there been cases I missed (quite possible)?

Translation-Money is money and we will take it..but thais simply want the tourists that spend most...

Aka the Chinese--even with the crass behavior the rules always applies in LOS--Money #1

Add in Thai-Chinese folks in Government and it crystal clear who they want back---the chinese tourists dressed like hisos and threw money around---the ole big money big face heyday pre-covid days

The Irony being covid came from china---the gift and the curse--beware chinese offering gifts...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, webfact said:

Germany is a country famous for its beers and the world-famous Oktoberfest, and it has the cheapest average price of a beer; a 500ml bottle of local beer costs £0.52 on average. 

In Thailand, the survey said the average beer here costs US$1.72.

I love it.  They can't make a price comparison using the same currency.  

8 hours ago, ArcticFox said:

By the way.  I don't buy any of this. 
Covid has screwed the world's tourism. 

I want to go to the Netherlands - hummm cops firing live rounds into groups of protesters.  Nyah.
I want to go to Ireland - double jobbed and a nasal swab to have a beer.   Oh! Wait!  Triple jabbed now or you're "Unvaxxed?  Can we see your papers please?" <then you get Omicron anyway>

You're sure you don't mean Kazachstan ?

8 hours ago, micmichd said:

Lol. According to Google the average beer price in Germany is 3.60 $, and it will be even more in a bar. 

is alcohol cheap in Germany?

Alcohol. Even though taxed, alcohol is ridiculously cheap in Germany. Even the very best beer costs only about €0.75 a bottle. ... Germany is probably the cheapest place on earth for brand liquors.

23 hours ago, webfact said:

However, the survey perhaps did not take into consideration, that students love the laid-back style of many remote regions in the country known as the Land of Smiles.

Presuming life will return to some normality; If weed was made legal here, then I think the Students would come in droves, what would add to that is if they could make a decent beer, plus the safety factor, not just of murder and rape, but also the safety on the roads + scams. A three month visa without any hassles as well. 

my 5 cents for what thats worth.......gap yr students are usually from prosperous middle class background and dont represent the reality of life for many people,who at 21 or 22 could afford to swan off to long distance destinations for a yr!!they tend to be obnoxious know it alls,entitled and judgemental,so i think i wont miss them as a friend so knowingly christened them.....DBIs    which stands for Daddy Bought It        ok wah     ha ha ha,right on the nail.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Blumpie said:

This really doesn't have anything to do with Thailand right now.  The pandemic has changed things and international travel is extremely limited.  There are countless horror stories out there of people having to quarantine after their holiday and even quarantining while transiting between flights.  Then quarantining when they get home.

Even those that travel feel that they aren't really travelling - it is difficult to even get around.  And flights are hard to get.

Give it three to six months and maybe travel will ease if this is indeed the end of the pandemic and the beginning of the endemic phase.  

Then in endemic times Thailand will have all kinds of domestic students. 

15 hours ago, gejohesch said:

The Thailand "old hands" know that's exactly the Thai logic at work : if customers (for whatever) get fewer, prices will get higher to compensate. The fact that higher prices will discourage even more would-be customers has never come to the mind...... Go and try to understand!

That's exactly right! A new batch of bars opened in my neck of the woods, and when every other bar in the area was charging 60/70 baht  for a beer they were charging 100 baht. Needless to say, they were pretty much deserted, and my friends and I only had one beer and then left, but before going on our merry way, I asked why they were charging so much for their drink. (OK - you know the answer already!) "Because we don't have many customers!" The mind boggles!

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, sambum said:

That's exactly right! A new batch of bars opened in my neck of the woods, and when every other bar in the area was charging 60/70 baht  for a beer they were charging 100 baht. Needless to say, they were pretty much deserted, and my friends and I only had one beer and then left, but before going on our merry way, I asked why they were charging so much for their drink. (OK - you know the answer already!) "Because we don't have many customers!" The mind boggles!

As incredible as that might be (anywhere else in the "known universe"), this is a perfectly credible story in Thailand ????

• Like 1