When is ASQ not ASQ?

I just arrived at my Test, & Go hotel in Bangkok this morning and have currently locked myself in my room in shock

The guy who greeted me explained that I was free to roam the hotel immediately whereas I was under the impression I had to wait for the negative Test. What was worse is that he said they only get 7/10 day ASQ now and when questioned he said they are also free to roam from as soon as they arrive.

So here I am in the so called 'safer' Test & Go program and I'm expected to mingle throughout the hotel with so call 'riskier' unvaccinated ASQ travellers who may have just got off the plane and haven't had their PCR result yet ( I know there would also be some vaccinated ASQ).

Thailand might as well scrap all arrivals programs if this is how the rules are implemented.

Meanwhile, please hurry up with the result so I can get the hell out of this place. I've got 3 meals with my booking and I don't want to go down to a crowded restaurant lol

Edit: I would love the above if I was in ASQ as I couldn't do 7 days locked in my room. The point is why bother mandating ASQ if it's not actually followed. It's just an income stream in this case.

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

This hotel has ‘got it wrong’...... Or more likely, the guy you spoke with misunderstood.

Alternate Quarantine (which is what it is now called under the Thailand Pass and previously known as ASQ) is for ‘unvaccinated’ arrivals - these are (supposed to be) unable to leave the room until their quarantine is complete. 

However, after stopping the ’Test & Go’ applications there may be ‘vaccinated arrivals’ staying for the 7 nights under the Alternate Quarantine option for whom there 'may be’ a different rule-set and they can use the hotel facilities without being able to leave the hotel.

I haven’t heard of this yet though, but it would make sense and these would pose no extra risk to you than you to them. 

• Confused 1

^ the hotel greeter was the person who explained it to me. He meets every guest, gets all their paperwork done and then takes us to our room explaining all aspects of the hotel. He spoke perfect English so there was no misunderstanding.

He was convinced all ASQ are vaccinated so obviously noone told him the 10 day ASQ are not vaccinated. 

Edited by aussiexpat

7 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Vaccinated or not Bangkok is not a Sandbox.

No one should be going out if they are following the rules.

Especially the fact people are free to roam before they even get their arrival PCR result. Isn't there like a 5% positive rate on arrival lately?

Edited by aussiexpat

Just now, aussiexpat said:

^ the hotel greeter was the person who explained it to me. He meets every guest, gets all their paperwork done and then takes us to our room explaining all aspects of the hotel. He wore a nice suit and spoke perfect English.

There was no misunderstanding. He was convinced all ASQ are vaccinated so no problem. Obviously noone told him the 10 day ASQ are not vaccinated. 

I’m not suggesting either of you is wrong.... I am suggesting there is scope for misunderstanding... 

If language and communication was not potential source of misunderstanding then there is scope of the person himself to actually have misread or misunderstood the regulations.

Perhaps check with the hotel manager exactly what their policy is regarding the 'freedom of movement around the hotel’ policy of Unvaccinated 7 days quarantinees. 

-------

I’ve quarantined 4x (ASQ x2 / Sandbox / Test & Go) on each of those occasions there has been someone who’s misunderstood or explained something unclearly so I have misunderstood... 

14 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I’m not suggesting either of you is wrong.... I am suggesting there is scope for misunderstanding... 

If language and communication was not potential source of misunderstanding then there is scope of the person himself to actually have misread or misunderstood the regulations.

Perhaps check with the hotel manager exactly what their policy is regarding the 'freedom of movement around the hotel’ policy of Unvaccinated 7 days quarantinees. 

-------

I’ve quarantined 4x (ASQ x2 / Sandbox / Test & Go) on each of those occasions there has been someone who’s misunderstood or explained something unclearly so I have misunderstood... 

Again, there is no misunderstanding, everyone is free to roam. The 2 guys I shared the airport taxi with were also dumbfounded by this.

Oh yeah, he took us to the breakfast buffet straight after the PCR test, no words needed to misunderstand. Your free to do as you like ( but pool is closed as he said it was deemed to high risk lol)

Edited by aussiexpat

When I arrived at my hotel at 6pm i got the pcr test , was escordet to the room.

Next morning 7am the test result was ready and I checked out.

I think your experience is unique.

What I didn't like was the Farrang in the airplane that sanitize their hands..

(70% alcohol is highly flammable)

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

What you describe is extremely unusual and not the case in most AQ hotels. Most enforce the rules quite strictly.

I wish mine was the same. I waited far too long to get back and the enforced hospital prison for a positive PCR is too high a risk in such a sloppy ASQ. 

Too late now though, counting the minutes until 8pm result...

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

There are no unvaccinated 7 day quarantines, it is 10 or 14 days if unvaxxed.

7 days is for fully vaccinated.I have not heard of any change in quarantine rules for them.

And I am quiet certain that T&G people are supposed to remain strictly in their rooms until they get PCR result.  I just entered less than 2 weeks ago on T&G. The room confinement was clearly explained and enforced. Even when receiving room service, a barrier was placed between the door and the hotel staff delivering it.

One wonders if the hotel in question is new to AQ.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BEngBKK said:

What scares me is duty free....a single bottle of brandy would down any airplane 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Sheryl said:

There are no unvaccinated 7 day quarantines, it is 10 or 14 days if unvaxxed.

7 days is for fully vaccinated.I have not heard of any change in quarantine rules for them.

And I am quiet certain that T&G people are supposed to remain strictly in their rooms until they get PCR result.  I just entered less than 2 weeks ago on T&G. The room confinement was clearly explained and enforced. Even when receiving room service, a barrier was placed between the door and the hotel staff delivering it.

One wonders if the hotel in question is new to AQ.

There is no 14 day AQ since the African countries were allowed the same entry rights into Thailand. Its now 7 days for vaccinated people and 10 days for un vaccinated.

11 hours ago, BEngBKK said:

When I arrived at my hotel at 6pm i got the pcr test , was escordet to the room.

Next morning 7am the test result was ready and I checked out.

I think your experience is unique.

We drink whisky and other spirits on aircraft. So what?   If the air crew did  not deem hand sanitizer a risk  then its not really  a problem.  Anyway  not all hand sanitizer is strong  alcohol. As for calling your fellow  travellers 'farang ' lol.

ชาวต่างชาติ.

Chaw tang chat means foreigners not farang..that just bar girl Street slang lol..

20 hours ago, Swiss1960 said:

Well, I won't ask for the name, but as soon as I would be out, I would report the place to every hotline I could find in the health ministry and the police.

Sure.....and then I'll be waiting for the police to show up at my door with the hazmat brigade sending me into 10 days hard quarantine as I stayed in an undisciplined ASQ under investigation...

...not to forget the defamation laws in Thailand...

No thanks, I'm free now ????

I really dotn't understand the panic and and the ridiculous 2 systems (1 for vaxed/1 for unvaxed).

Some facts to consider: 

1. The covid tests can detect the virus about 3 days after infection. So the test you had up to 3 days before the flight only show you were not infected up to 6 days before the flight, and the 1 you took on arrival shows you were still clean up to 3 days before arrival. 

2. Vaxed people also get infected and infect others, and the covid tests work the same for vaxed and unvaxed.

The different ways to treat vaxed/unvaxed around the world is just to put more pressure on people to get the jabs, there's nothing medically based on it. 

And last point - didn't you get vaxed on order to protect yourself from covid? Don't you trust the vaccine? 

Edited by LukKrueng
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

And last point - didn't you get vaxed on order to protect yourself from covid? Don't you trust the vaccine? 

I'm not worried about covid. I'm worried about getting infected in a mandatory quarantine hotel whereby I fail my 5-6 day PCR and end up carted away to a hospital for 10 days, even though not sick with any symptoms.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

I'm not worried about covid. I'm worried about getting infected in a mandatory quarantine hotel whereby I fail my 5-6 day PCR and end up carted away to a hospital for 10 days, even though not sick with any symptoms.

OK, but that can happen anywhere. At the market, shops, walking down the street and from your family members just as well. 

3 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

I really dotn't understand the panic and and the ridiculous 2 systems (1 for vaxed/1 for unvaxed).

Some facts to consider: 

1. The covid tests can detect the virus about 3 days after infection. So the test you had up to 3 days before the flight only show you were not infected up to 6 days before the flight, and the 1 you took on arrival shows you were still clean up to 3 days before arrival. 

2. Vaxed people also get infected and infect others, and the covid tests work the same for vaxed and unvaxed.

The different ways to treat vaxed/unvaxed around the world is just to put more pressure on people to get the jabs, there's nothing medically based on it. 

Protection  from getting infected with Covid-19 is quite different  from protection from getting seriously ill from Covid-19. So is your comment just basically anti vax propaganda  based on a deliberate  misinterpretation of the protection the vaccine  provides.?

10 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

We drink whisky and other spirits on aircraft. So what?   If the air crew did  not deem hand sanitizer a risk  then its not really  a problem.  Anyway  not all hand sanitizer is strong  alcohol. As for calling your fellow  travellers 'farang ' lol.

ชาวต่างชาติ.

Chaw tang chat means foreigners not farang..that just bar girl Street slang lol..

I partly agree with this. However, there is a distinction between "foreigner" and "westerner" in English, and the same is true in Thai. I believe @BEngBKK was specifically referring to Westerners who seem the worst offenders in terms of lack of adherence to Covid-19 prevention measures like face mask use.

The word "farang" is not one that I would use in formal settings, but it is certainly not restricted to bar girls or even uneducated/low class Thais. Yes, ชาวตะวันตก (chao tawan tok) exists, but the meaning is not quite the same, and it sounds stilted in normal speech. In informal settings, most Thais would use the word farang, though not to identify a specific Westerner within range of their hearing. That would be impolite.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

Sure.....and then I'll be waiting for the police to show up at my door with the hazmat brigade sending me into 10 days hard quarantine as I stayed in an undisciplined ASQ under investigation...

...not to forget the defamation laws in Thailand...

No thanks, I'm free now ????

"and then I'll be waiting for the police to show up at my door with the hazmat brigade sending me into 10 days hard quarantine"

That description owes more to hysteria and imagination than to reality.  From your 'speeding ripp off taxis' to your defamation  law fear and your hotel description and your 'hard days quarantine ' you view your holiday in Thailand  through a prism of fear and negativity. Good luck

• Confused 2

1 minute ago, BritTim said:

I partly agree with this. However, there is a distinction between "foreigner" and "westerner" in English, and the same is true in Thai. I believe @BEngBKK was specifically referring to Westerners who seem the worst offenders in terms of lack of adherence to Covid-19 prevention measures like face mask use.

The word "farang" is not one that I would use in formal settings, but it is certainly not restricted to bar girls or even uneducated/low class Thais. Yes, ชาวตะวันตก (chao tawan tok) exists, but the meaning is not quite the same, and it sounds stilted in normal speech. In informal settings, most Thais would use the word farang, though not to identify a specific Westerner within range of their hearing. That would be impolite.

I don't need a lecture on linguistics  from you. Farang is used by many newbies  to include all foreigners. They are wrong. Farang is impolite as it based on skin colour not individual cultural or racial differences.  It is at best lazy and  ignorant and at worst a racist insult made by ignorant uneducated thais. It is dismissive and discourteous. My better educated or more experienced  Thai friends never use the word farang. The say 'foreigner'. For foreigners to self  identify as 'farang' is demeaning. Anytime I correct a Thai using the word farang they immediately know the issue.