When is ASQ not ASQ?

25 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Farang is used by many newbies  to include all foreigners. They are wrong

We can agree on that.

For the rest, my own view is well expressed in https://theculturetrip.com/asia/thailand/articles/is-it-offensive-to-call-westerners-farang/ [a view, by the way, that is backed up by the พจนานุกรม ฉบับราชบัณฑิตยสถาน (Royal Institute Dictionary)].

Edited by BritTim

54 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

OK, but that can happen anywhere. At the market, shops, walking down the street and from your family members just as well. 

Except in those cases you would get to choose whether or not you told the Thai authorities you had it, or whether you even got tested at all. It's entirely out of your control in AQ. You have to get tested, and you will be forced to hospital/hospitel whether you have symptoms or not. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

A lesson here is to fully read the reviews before selecting a hotel.

One person actually commented that a positive for the hotel is that you didn't have to wait for the PCR result before leaving your room. That all the red flag I would have needed.

Another commented on their concern that all meals were to be served by a buffet, which they thought should definitely not be the safe process for an ASQ (I think buffets were one of the first things shut down in my country and was a big contributor to the cruise ship disasters)

Imo, this hotel should be shut down immediately as an ASQ.

Indeed it should. And if the authorities come to know of it, it will be.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

Except in those cases you would get to choose whether or not you told the Thai authorities you had it, or whether you even got tested at all. It's entirely out of your control in AQ. You have to get tested, and you will be forced to hospital/hospitel whether you have symptoms or not. 

According to what you say, as he's only staying for 1 night until he gets the negative result of a swab taken upon his arrival it makes no difference

21 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

According to what you say, as he's only staying for 1 night until he gets the negative result of a swab taken upon his arrival it makes no difference

You've totally missed the point. I'm covid free for over 2 years, I limit my movements in last 3 days in Aus to ensure no exposure, I social distance and wear a mask for 13 hours travelling to Thailand...

...then I'm placed in a free for all quarantine facilty where all arrivals, including unvaccinated, are free to move around and eat buffet meals within a crowded space before they have received their negative PCR result. The point is I have no choice but to live with their rules.

This is a super spreader occasion waiting to happen as I read over 5% of arrivals are currently testing positive on arrival. 

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

You've totally missed the point. I'm covid free for over 2 years, I limit my movements in last 3 days in Aus to ensure no exposure, I social distance and wear a mask for 13 hours travelling to Thailand...

...then I'm placed in a free for all quarantine facilty where all arrivals, including unvaccinated, are free to move around and eat buffet meals within a crowded space before they have received their negative PCR result. The point is I have no choice but to live with their rules.

This is a super spreader occasion waiting to happen as I read over 5% of arrivals are currently testing positive on arrival. 

Seems you also miss the point. Unvaxed does NOT mean infected any more than vaxed means not infected. 

The 5% of infected cases are ALL VACCINATED as they all came under the T&G and sandbox programs. In my experience and knowledge from Western countries - unvaxed have to test every few days if they want to go to places such as restaurants, pubs and even university whereas vacxed people hardly ever get tested as they hold the grin pass. 

A friend of mine is a teacher at a primary school where most kids are unvaxed, just like her. Most other teachers are vaxed. If she wants to continue teaching she has to take a test twice a week (and pay for it too) , but none of the vaxed teachers have to get tested. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

Seems you also miss the point. Unvaxed does NOT mean infected any more than vaxed means not infected. 

The 5% of infected cases are ALL VACCINATED as they all came under the T&G and sandbox programs. In my experience and knowledge from Western countries - unvaxed have to test every few days if they want to go to places such as restaurants, pubs and even university whereas vacxed people hardly ever get tested as they hold the grin pass. 

A friend of mine is a teacher at a primary school where most kids are unvaxed, just like her. Most other teachers are vaxed. If she wants to continue teaching she has to take a test twice a week (and pay for it too) , but none of the vaxed teachers have to get tested. 

I think I am objective, and you make the best possible case for being less restrictive towards the unvaccinated. The points you make are valid.

However, let me briefly explain why I believe strongly pressing people to be vaccinated is appropriate. Absent other factors, being vaccinated makes it less likely that you will be infected. The protection is far from absolute, and the degree of protection varies tremendously based on the type and timing of the vaccine you receive, and the endemic Covid variant you are exposed to, but the reduced infection risk is real. Those who are not infected cannot infect others. In addition to the lesser likelihood of being infected and infecting others, if you are unlucky enough to be infected anyway, your risk of hospitalisation, death or long Covid is substantially reduced (again, the degree of protection depends on vaccine type and timing). That implies reduced pressure on health systems, and it implies less economic impact.

Vaccination, by itself, does not totally eliminate the challenge to society of Covid-19. However, there is a tremendous difference in the scale of the challenge depending on whether 70% of the eligible population is fully vaccinated versus 95%. That, in my view, justifies measures that, in isolation, may seem unfair, even illogical ... if they contribute to reduce the proportion of the population that is unvaccinated.

Edited by BritTim
  • Thanks 1

Should I just name the hotel and let people report?

I was cleared at 8pm so was free to go, thought I would go to 7/11 across the road. It was about 200m so decided couldn't be bothered. Thing is, security guard let me out, no questions, do whatever you want. I could have been anyone who just arrived then mixing with Thai locals at 7/11.

I also tried to check out this morning, no-one cared to even talk to me. Finally they said just leave key on counter. I then got in taxi and drove out without question. Made me think I could have done a nana run with no questions if I came back lol

3 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

He will have another mandatory test on day 5-7.

1 hour ago, aussiexpat said:

Should I just name the hotel and let people report?

I was cleared at 8pm so was free to go, thought I would go to 7/11 across the road. It was about 200m so decided couldn't be bothered. Thing is, security guard let me out, no questions, do whatever you want. I could have been anyone who just arrived then mixing with Thai locals at 7/11.

I also tried to check out this morning, no-one cared to even talk to me. Finally they said just leave key on counter. I then got in taxi and drove out without question. Made me think I could have done a nana run with no questions if I came back lol

Well don't name it here, as it would create liability for the forum.

And don't post anything anywhere that can be traced back to you personally.

But you might like to report it to the COVID hotline or MoPH.

• Like 1