Apology issued after Khon Kaen Hospital admits putting wrong expiry date on AZ vax

webfact

41 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

looks like the bottle and box show 1/2022.  So my guess is that someone types out 01/2021 in error on a certificate, it is common to write the wrong year in the first month as many still forget we have moved into a new year. 

True - plus it seems highly unlikely that any batch of the AZ vaccine would have been expiring in January 2021 since they didn't start distributing it until December 2020 and (if unopened and kept at 2-8 degrees C) the vaccine has a six month shelf life.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Like 2

"............someone at the hospital had printed the wrong label."

I would have thought that it was the manufacturer who printed the expiration date on the label.

Best not to dwell on it I think.

????

• Like 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Khon Kaen hospital director Dr Kriangsak Watcharanukulkiat was obliged to issue an apology stating that someone at the hospital had printed the wrong label.

In reality, he said, it should have read 01 of this year meaning that the vaccine was usable until the end of this month, reported Thai PBS.

Of course. ????

18 minutes ago, hamleknoi said:

who here reckons that they store them at -80C?

image.png.898044009ee4822c98b1f6ffaa8b1e9d.png

Your posting info for either Pfizer or another and not Vaxzevira/Astrazenica.

https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infectious/covid-19/vaccine/Pages/az-refrigerator-to-administration.aspx

Overview  

The COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca (ChAdOx1-S) can be stored at between +2° to +8°C for up to 6 months.

Each vial contains 4 mL or 5 mL of solution in an 8 or 10-dose vial (clear type I glass) with stopper (elastomeric with aluminium overseal). It comes in packs of 10 multidose vials.

Each vial contains at least the number of doses stated on the label. It is normal for liquid to remain in the vial after withdrawing the final dose. When low dead volume syringes and/or needles are used, the amount remaining in the vial may be sufficient for an additional dose. Care should be taken to ensure a full 0.5 mL dose is administered. Where a full 0.5 mL dose cannot be extracted, the remaining volume should be discarded. Do not pool excess vaccine from multiple vials.

https://www.fiercepharma.com/manufacturing/astrazeneca-hopes-warmer-storage-needs-for-covid-19-vaccine-will-be-advantage-against

AstraZeneca's COVID-19 vaccine candidate, dubbed AZD1222, can be stored and transported at normal refrigerated temps of 2 degrees to 8 degrees Celsius (36 degrees to 46 degrees Fahrenheit) for at least six months and can be administered in "existing healthcare settings," giving the shot a major logistics leg up over a leading mRNA-based competitor that requires ultra-cold storage

Edited by ThailandRyan

14 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Your posting info for either Pfizer or another and not Vaxzevira/Astrazenica.

https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infectious/covid-19/vaccine/Pages/az-refrigerator-to-administration.aspx

Overview  

The COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca (ChAdOx1-S) can be stored at between +2° to +8°C for up to 6 months.

Each vial contains 4 mL or 5 mL of solution in an 8 or 10-dose vial (clear type I glass) with stopper (elastomeric with aluminium overseal). It comes in packs of 10 multidose vials.

Each vial contains at least the number of doses stated on the label. It is normal for liquid to remain in the vial after withdrawing the final dose. When low dead volume syringes and/or needles are used, the amount remaining in the vial may be sufficient for an additional dose. Care should be taken to ensure a full 0.5 mL dose is administered. Where a full 0.5 mL dose cannot be extracted, the remaining volume should be discarded. Do not pool excess vaccine from multiple vials.

https://www.fiercepharma.com/manufacturing/astrazeneca-hopes-warmer-storage-needs-for-covid-19-vaccine-will-be-advantage-against

AstraZeneca's COVID-19 vaccine candidate, dubbed AZD1222, can be stored and transported at normal refrigerated temps of 2 degrees to 8 degrees Celsius (36 degrees to 46 degrees Fahrenheit) for at least six months and can be administered in "existing healthcare settings," giving the shot a major logistics leg up over a leading mRNA-based competitor that requires ultra-cold storage

Oops,I got it in my head that it was Pfizer. Maybe because I read that it was still available at Bang Sue just before that.

17 minutes ago, hamleknoi said:

Oops,I got it in my head that it was Pfizer. Maybe because I read that it was still available at Bang Sue just before that.

Not a problem, glad I could help and get the info out there.

• Like 1