Incarcerated in Bang Lamung

Sup3rfarang

Just now, habanero said:

Just out of curiosity. If they had put you in a hospital room, would your insurance then pay for it?

AXA Thailand's Sawasdee product appears to only cover medically necessary expenses. If the hospitalization was mandatory but not medically necessary, I suspect AXA Thailand would deny the claim.  Whether the claim gets paid might also depend in part on how the hospital describes treatment and fills out the claim form. But AXA is probably well aware of this issue and would possibly look closely at any claims submitted.

• Like 1

There's been quite a few reports of Negative on departure, but positive on Arrival.  

With the old COE system, you had to have 14 nights quarantine anyway, so there was no incentive for a positive test result - but now there's a $1000 bonus if the test result is positive, so that is a potential conflict of interest.

Any chance of getting an independent test?

Also, maybe you could develop some symtoms!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

There's been quite a few reports of Negative on departure, but positive on Arrival.  

With the old COE system, you had to have 14 nights quarantine anyway, so there was no incentive for a positive test result - but now there's a $1000 bonus if the test result is positive, so that is a potential conflict of interest.

Any chance of getting an independent test?

Also, maybe you could develop some symtoms!

He was negative on arrival

1 minute ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

The issue of forced hospitalization or isolation in hotels hasn't been adequately disclosed to incoming visitors (or even expats) and the fact that most insurers won't cover these expenses is also not well understood. Better disclosure is needed both from the Thai government and insurers.

They lied to my face.  Sincerely promised 100% reimbursement.  I re-asked the question several times to be sure.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

He was negative on arrival

Semantics ..... he was negative when he left and then positive after arrival.  Same issue of potential conflict of interest.  There should be a fully independent testing regime.

And I also though home isolation was now an option, which would remove the potential conflict?

Recently read of farang allegedly testing positive, he refused to comply with request for visit to hospital  from the hotel he was staying, hospital staff and police arrived took him away,complained he did not have that sort of money,and was placed in some god awful ,Thai,only accommodation for the duration

8 minutes ago, fredscats said:

Recently read of farang allegedly testing positive, he refused to comply with request for visit to hospital  from the hotel he was staying, hospital staff and police arrived took him away,complained he did not have that sort of money,and was placed in some god awful ,Thai,only accommodation for the duration

This is what I sensed would happen if I struggled. Better to pay up.  They got you by the balls.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

At least you got wi fi, but probably not free!

Free hotel wifi plus three very mediocre meals a day. Thousand year old semi-fossilized towels are a highlight.  Big room with hard echoing walls.  Balcony overlooking courtyard.  You can see the other inmates sitting forlornly on their balconies.   Hotel is advertised as 4 star.  Um, maybe in 1963 it was.  A/C works good.  I have complete privacy. No one has come to enter the room.  They just leave stuff on a little table outside the door.

• Like 2

Another big problem I have with all this is if, indeed, this is coming out of my pocket then I should be able go to the quarantine certified hotel of my choice and compare prices.   But I wasn't given that option.  Instead I'm paying $100 a day, under duress, for this dive.

So why does it have to be this hotel and no other?  Well I can't say but I think most of you are smart enough to figure it out. 

• Like 2

Guest Isaanlife
4 hours ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

From the AXA Sawasee website's FAQ:

Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 21.38.27.png

Any person with 1 ounce of intelligence would have to question why this is?

Thailand is forcing you into quarantine as a condition of your supposed Covid Status.

No different than being confined to hospital room.

The fact the fee is so high and the insurance is not paying tell me someone is making some money here.

A week later you walk out of the hotel $1100 poorer and mysteriously cured?