Incarcerated in Bang Lamung

Sup3rfarang

3 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Sorry to hear your story mate. You've been "done up like a kipper" as the phrase goes. Anyone reading: Play the Thai game, no money, no money and show the "insurance" papers. Tell them no money, no credit card etc. Get the insurance company to pay as you paid the fuking premium! If neccessary feign symptoms to get the coverage. Fuking <deleted> show. I arrive on Wednesday 19th January and hope to avoid this scenario. Chok dee!

If no hab money, go to Thai room with 3 other people for 2 weeks. Food not good.

9 hours ago, Sup3rfarang said:

Going back to my hotel room was not an option.

Given the increasing numbers of pre-dep neg, neg, pos, I think the regime now allows non-symptomatic positive (#2) to self-isolate in the ir hotel. But I think the hotel needs to be so approved.

5 hours ago, Isaanlife said:

Any person with 1 ounce of intelligence would have to question why this is?

Thailand is forcing you into quarantine as a condition of your supposed Covid Status.

No different than being confined to hospital room.

The fact the fee is so high and the insurance is not paying tell me someone is making some money here.

A week later you walk out of the hotel $1100 poorer and mysteriously cured?

Some Thai insurers will cover the cost of hospitalization for asymptomatic persons who test positive for Covid, but most of the insurance industry will not. It would be no different if confined to a hospital if the hospitalization were not medically necessary.

From an underwriting standpoint there is a difference between covering expenses that are medically necessary and covering those that are incurred solely as a result of complying with public health policy. The former risk is fairly well known and understood by insurers, the latter less so making it more difficult to assess, quantify and cover.

There is also a morale hazard issue that arises: if a government knows that people have insurance, the government may be motivated to order hospitalization when it might otherwise not, perhaps in order to support the hospital industry. This is something that other posters have labeled a scam. Some insurers possibly take a similar view and don't want to pay for this.

As for insurers making money, the Covid situation is not a windfall for insurers. Many are facing much higher loss ratios due to Covid. Besides, would anyone want to do business with an insurer that loses money? It can be difficult enough to get claims paid by insurers that have the financial ability to pay. Try getting claims money from one that doesn't.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Sup3rfarang said:

This is what I sensed would happen if I struggled. Better to pay up.  They got you by the balls.

You want a good stay you pay, you want cheap you stay like Thais. I don't see the problem its the choice you have.

1 hour ago, robblok said:

You want a good stay you pay, you want cheap you stay like Thais. I don't see the problem its the choice you have.

Seriously? You don't see a problem with this? I was lucky I brought my credit  cards with me.  I was lucky they didn't deny a sudden huge unexplained charge from Thailand.  Others, I'm sure, were not as fortunate and are trapped in a hot roach infested hole right now.  It's not a choice when you are being coerced. 

19 minutes ago, Sup3rfarang said:

Seriously? You don't see a problem with this? I was lucky I brought my credit  cards with me.  I was lucky they didn't deny a sudden huge unexplained charge from Thailand.  Others, I'm sure, were not as fortunate and are trapped in a hot roach infested hole right now.  It's not a choice when you are being coerced. 

No I don't see a problem, you had a cheaper option available. You did not take it so it was your choice. So then you can't moan about costs and so on. I would have had a problem if you were forced in the higher tier pricing without a choice.

Its known that in Thailand people have to be quarantined. Did you expect that if you tested possitive you could just do as you wanted. 

The hotels are not made to keep infected as they could infect other tourists or staff. So i feel its justified, it sucks if your one of the infected. But it sucks more if your fine and you get infected during your holiday and have to be quarantined too because they let infected people stay in the hotels. 

So what would have been your solution to this ?

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

50 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

I'd like to know why they let one guy go home and self quarantine, did he pay a bribe to get out? nothing would surprise me here, this is just a scam on the face of it

Perhaps he is an expat with a multiroom house and could insolate from others adequately. You cannot just say in the hotel room that you had booked. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

I'd like to know why they let one guy go home and self quarantine, did he pay a bribe to get out? nothing would surprise me here, this is just a scam on the face of it

If its an expat with a house then he can self isolate, you can even self isolate if your condo allows it.

But I thought the OP was a tourists then there are no other options.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Best to make sure you have some serious symptoms if you want the insurance paying.

I'd suggest a lot of coughing and some gasping for breath + serious headaches and complaints of aching joints.

If Omicron .... throw diarrhoea into the mix.   ????

• Like 1

3 hours ago, robblok said:

No I don't see a problem, you had a cheaper option available. You did not take it so it was your choice. So then you can't moan about costs and so on. I would have had a problem if you were forced in the higher tier pricing without a choice.

Ok, let me try this out: "You can't moan about the wild crazy helicopter ride with the drunken pilot because you had the option of jumping out of the helicopter and you didn’t take it. It only would have been a problem if you were forced to stay in the helicopter."  Wow.  Even Thai logic can't match this voodoo.

Its known that in Thailand people have to be quarantined.

Flat wrong. This variant is highly contagious many times more than previous versions. The usual methods are not going to slow it down even a little bit.  In the next month everyone will be exposed to it and few will die.  Just like cold or flu.  We don't quarantine for cold or flu because it would be futile and ridiculous and this is no different. 

Did you expect that if you tested possitive you could just do as you wanted. 

Did I test positive? You have knowledge of this?  You wouldn't happen to have my test result sheet, would you?  Because I sure would like to see it.

• Like 2

If I understood the OP's account correctly, it was the intake staff at his local hospital who promised him that his insurance would cover his quarantine expenses -- not anyone from the company where he has his insurance policy....

Assuming my understanding is correct,  that's not whom he needed to hear the "yes, you'll be covered" assurance from.

"There are only two women processing all these foreigners and there is no A/C.

I showed them my covid insurance I had to buy as part of Test and Go and asked if it would reimburse me for this. They promised 100% reimbursement. I would receive a medical report at the end of quarantine that I could use to file a claim."

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

33 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

What if you wanted to stay in the hotel you had already paid for?

IMHO that is not possible unless its a quarantine hotel, but hotels should be flexible and refund when this happens. Risk should be spread between consumer and hotel.

57 minutes ago, Sup3rfarang said:

Ok, let me try this out: "You can't moan about the wild crazy helicopter ride with the drunken pilot because you had the option of jumping out of the helicopter and you didn’t take it. It only would have been a problem if you were forced to stay in the helicopter."  Wow.  Even Thai logic can't match this voodoo.

Flat wrong. This variant is highly contagious many times more than previous versions. The usual methods are not going to slow it down even a little bit.  In the next month everyone will be exposed to it and few will die.  Just like cold or flu.  We don't quarantine for cold or flu because it would be futile and ridiculous and this is no different. 

Did I test positive? You have knowledge of this?  You wouldn't happen to have my test result sheet, would you?  Because I sure would like to see it.

My solution is follow the outrageously successful examples of the states of Florida and Texas in the USA. Or the example of India where they stopped their Delta variant wave by going door-to-door passing out D3 and Ivermectin.

But you knew what you were getting into. Everyone knew. You had time to study this before comming to Thailand.

So you took the risk, it backfired. You were offered a cheaper option you did not take it.

I feel this is of your own making. Anyone traveling now should be aware of things like this. 

You have your right to develop symptoms anytime between receiving positive call to anytime in the hospitel. 
They have you hospitalise even for one specific symptom. The sooner you take your right, strait after that call, the faster is over. 
going for another pcr doesnt change anything, just wasting money.
Learn everything about covid symptoms, there are tens of them. Check on yt how people with them talk, behave.
Role play with a family member, friend, even over a video messenger call a doctor and patient interview. Change your roles to have the full feeling of process.

The best, if your role play partner is medically trained, or at least was hospitalised for covid at any stage. 

You have all time to prepare all necessary paraphenalia as a symptomatic. Use your wild imagination. Go some shops, pharmacy, to get them. 

Edited by internationalism
  • Confused 2

16 hours ago, Sup3rfarang said:

Thank you.  I'm so close to painting the page blue but I have to control myself.  They must figure that Thai tourism is dead and not coming back. Now they're stripping the carcass. 

OP could you let us know if you are new to Thailand? A tourist? 

I used to Paraglide and was taught to read the sky to assess turbulences hence risk. Coming to Thailand as a tourist these days is like taking off under a thunder cloud. But I truly feel for you as I know that most of the things about Thailand are based on lies and hidden reality. Even selling holidays.

And if I was tested positive as you are I couldn't stop myself of thinking that I may have fallen victim of a [made up fake] false positive. From what I understand we wouldn't be allowed to request an independent counter expertise. 

Edited by Boomer6969
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Sup3rfarang said:

Really?  As in "The woman that got raped brought it on herself. She should have known better than wear suggestive clothing. "  Dude, you're living in your own logic bubble.  Have a nice day.

Totally different comparison. You know the rules when you went here. You still chose to go accepting the risk. It backfired now be a man and man up. 

I don't travel around Thailand right now because of these rules, too dangerous. You made other choices and it went wrong. So you only got yourself to blame.

There been countless topics about the risk of getting quarantined yet you decided to risk it. 

As for a woman getting raped, strange mindset to compare the two. Its a crime to rape and woman have a right to wear what they want. Its a legal rule in Thailand that you can get quarantined if you have covid. Not knowing the law is no defense like they say in the USA. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Sup3rfarang said:

Bang Lamung Hospital 8am the next morning for 10 day quarantine. 

OMG.

That's going to be expensive.

Try to get into a hospitel.

Good luck and sorry to hear about your situation.

That's why people don't want to get tested at some official place.

It'll bankrupt you.