Gold buying for investment -

The best way to buy gold in Thailand is in 96.5% bars. You can see here the selection available. GCap produces 1 baht bars too and they should be available in most gold shops... or you could order them online. The local gold shops will likely only have the small denominations.

https://www.gcap.co.th/gcapgold/productgold965.php

It's not really an investment as it doesn't return any income... it's a safe haven asset that will sit in your safe until needed. A lot of fiancial advisors are suggesting the price will skyrocket soon. Soon was 2020, then 2021, and we're still waiting.

Edited by JensenZ

27 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

It's not really an investment as it doesn't return any income... it's a safe haven asset that will sit in your safe until needed

Some investments like land do not return income too... and it is really an investment...

How did you know about my safe? Now I better change the combination, in case you know that too. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Some investments like land do not return income too... and it is really an investment...

How did you know about my safe? Now I better change the combination, in case you know that too. 

Sorry for confusing you. Please replace "income" with "profit", as that is what investment is.

You could have thanked me for the info instead of trying to start an argument about what is an investment or not. I did make an effort to send you useful info.  

Edited by JensenZ
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

Sorry for confusing you. Please replace "income" with "profit", as that is what investment is.

I am not in the least confused... not all investments throw off income, and some of my best have had negative income until the big payout at the end... 

profit is not income - it is what remains after a successful investment... 

Thanks for the advertisement you sent. 

6 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

Value of gold hasn't changed for 5000 years.

Buy the gold shop, thats where the moneys made.

Yes, for sure on buying the gold shop... 

the value of gold changes on a daily basis... at least in the world that I journey out into... ?

It is not a high return investment, but it does have intrinsic value so it will should always be worth something. The wife loves it. 

I bought in 2014 and I'm up ~41% as of yesterday, so that's something less 5% a year. I'm up ~33% over the same period with silver so less than 4%. Not great, but not nothing. 

If you don't already have one, now may be a good time to get a safe deposit box. Depending on where you are, they can be hard to get. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

not all investments throw off income, and some of my best have had negative income until the big payout at the end

If you are talking about land or real estate, the former can be used for farming, the latter can be rented out, as people need shelter. Both give the investment a cashflow (income).

If you choose to live there yourself, the income is effectively the money you are saving by not having to pay rent to someone else.

You are right that you can invest in non-productive assets, and profit when you resell. Generally though, investing in non-productive assets is risky, as you are betting on the future supply/demand ratio to fall, but if this was a safe bet, it should already be priced in, minus storage cost and discount for capital outlay.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I am not in the least confused... not all investments throw off income, and some of my best have had negative income until the big payout at the end... 

profit is not income - it is what remains after a successful investment... 

Thanks for the advertisement you sent. 

Investment is always about gaining profit, and profit ultimately equals income, even over a long time frame. If you sold an asset for a "big payout" after 10 years, that's income. You have a more limited definitiion of what constitutes income... and that's why I changed the word to "profit" to avoid confusion.

Gold is a non-income (profit) producing asset. It's not an investment which produces profit. In good times people sell it to put their money into income (profit) producing assets. In bad times they buy it to protect against purchasing power loss or permanent loss. If you buy a truck load of gold, hoping it will gain value, that's not investment, but speculation. In real terms (adjusted for inflation) gold today is close to the value of it in 1720. It reached a peak of $3045 back in 1980, and now it's hovering around $1800.

I wish you good luck and hope your gold will reach over $3000 in the near future. Many predict this.

I'm not arguing that buying gold is a bad idea. If I had a lot of spare cash I would buy a lot more. I do trade gold on margin through brokers, but don't own much physical gold.

Edited by JensenZ

23 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

It is not a high return investment, but it does have intrinsic value so it will should always be worth something. The wife loves it. 

I bought in 2014 and I'm up ~41% as of yesterday, so that's something less 5% a year. I'm up ~33% over the same period with silver so less than 4%. Not great, but not nothing. 

If you don't already have one, now may be a good time to get a safe deposit box. Depending on where you are, they can be hard to get. 

Yet, if you have bought gold in a bit earlier in October 2013 you would have lost money (taking into consideration inflation). Did you factor inflation into your calculations? Can gold drop low again? It took a big dive in February 2020 after the stock market crashed 30%, so it can happen again. 

I agree that if you need to store a lot of gold, one needs a very secure deposit box. A gun pointed at your head is an easy key for home safes. You have to hide your safe too.

Is there some advantage to buying physical gold as opposed to buying shares in an ETF that tracks the spot gold price, like GLDM, SGOL or BAR? With physical gold I would have to worry about storing it and securing it, and then transporting it when time to sell. Buying virtual gold seems simpler, unless you have a Goldfinger obsession.

Paul Laew

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Paulaew said:

Is there some advantage to buying physical gold as opposed to buying shares in an ETF that tracks the spot gold price, like GLDM, SGOL or BAR? With physical gold I would have to worry about storing it and securing it, and then transporting it when time to sell. Buying virtual gold seems simpler, unless you have a Goldfinger obsession.

Paul Laew

I suppose the only advantage is that gold in a safe is like cash in a safe - ready for immediate sale. In Thailand you can sell it everywhere, and there's no ID requirements to buy and sell it. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Paulaew said:

Is there some advantage to buying physical gold as opposed to buying shares in an ETF

I hold a fair amount of GLD...

The difference is that will have to go through probate and will take probably at least a year to be transferred here when I pass... the gold can be here hassle free in a safe... 

31 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

I'm not arguing that buying gold is a bad idea. If I had a lot of spare cash I would buy a lot more. I do trade gold on margin through brokers, but don't own much physical gold.

It's a small % of my portfolio... and the handy aspect of having it here, is that when I kick it, the family will have it in their hands in minutes... 

I'm lucky that I never needed to but you have guts to go out on margin... especially on gold as it tends to stay in a trading range... 

1 minute ago, 1FinickyOne said:

The difference is that will have to go through probate and will take probably at least a year to be transferred here when I pass... the gold can be here hassle free in a safe... 

If you have a beneficiary designated for a retirement account, there is no requirement to go through probate when you die. The beneficiaries take precedence over the will.

Paul Laew

3 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

It's a small % of my portfolio... and the handy aspect of having it here, is that when I kick it, the family will have it in their hands in minutes... 

I'm lucky that I never needed to but you have guts to go out on margin... especially on gold as it tends to stay in a trading range... 

I like a tight trading range as I scalp it. It's when it shoots $50 - $100 and more I'm in trouble. It can be very stressful.

4 minutes ago, Paulaew said:

If you have a beneficiary designated for a retirement account, there is no requirement to go through probate when you die. The beneficiaries take precedence over the will.

Paul Laew

In USA? and with a Thai inheritor?

I have a Will - and an executor in USA and a Will here too. 

Just now, 1FinickyOne said:

In USA? and with a Thai inheritor?

I have a Will - and an executor in USA and a Will here too. 

Yes, there is no restriction on the nationality of beneficiaries for an IRA or 401k. I have my Thai wife designated as the beneficiary for my retirement accounts held in the USA. Since the bulk of my assets are there, it avoids the probate problems in Thai courts.

Paul Laew

3 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

I like a tight trading range as I scalp it. It's when it shoots $50 - $100 and more I'm in trouble. It can be very stressful.

I had a managed account in USA for a long time w/a buy and hold investor/agent/broker - she was the best and we did great... but she can no longer keep my account because my US address in c/o at a friends house. So, I am left to managing my own through Schwab and that is stressful too... and the worst part is that the stressful part happens when I should be sleeping... 

1 minute ago, Paulaew said:

Yes, there is no restriction on the nationality of beneficiaries for an IRA or 401k. I have my Thai wife designated as the beneficiary for my retirement accounts held in the USA. Since the bulk of my assets are there, it avoids the probate problems in Thai courts.

Paul Laew

I do not have an IRA or 401k...

I guess I avoid the probate problems by having cash and gold coin [soon] in a safe - - though the biggest thing is that we have bought farmland and homes and a condo all in my wife's name... so, she is ok... 

I am pretty well diversified 

8 minutes ago, JackGats said:

I once wanted to buy and bury some gold "in case of civilisation collapse". Someone rightly pointed out that in such a case it was pointless to have gold if I didn't also have a gun.

Even 5 armed guards will not protect you from a roaming gang of 100... 

The only use a gun will have in case of entire collapse would be to use it on yourself and end the horror... 

18 minutes ago, JackGats said:

I once wanted to buy and bury some gold "in case of civilisation collapse". Someone rightly pointed out that in such a case it was pointless to have gold if I didn't also have a gun.

As long as you hide it well, what's the problem? Burying it is a good idea and better than a home safe. No one should know you have it. Having a gun is more likely to get you killed as the people coming after it will also be armed. If you don't have a gun, they may not shoot you, but if you do have one, it's nearly a guarantee.

Edited by JensenZ