Senior Thai doctor says COVID-19 could lead to long-term side effects

webfact

24 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Any snarky comments I made were not directed at the doctor but at the bashers. I make no apology for that. Stop projecting.

Understood. I did start by saying I supported your comment and my other remarks were directed at the Thai bashers, too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

The good doctor is of course correct. I don't understand the spiteful uninformed Thai bashing that goers on here when any article is posted which quotes Thai science. People must have a chip on their shoulder because they are politically motivated and on the wrong side of history and science. Here is some Australian research which supports what this doctor is saying.

Unvaccinated people with long COVID – even those whose initial infection was mild or moderate – have a sustained inflammatory response for at least eight months following their infection, suggesting that long COVID is very different to other infections.

https://scitechdaily.com/what-causes-long-covid-symptoms-new-clues-from-under-the-microscope/

Actually that study says nothing really about the unvaccinated and long Covid. In fact, the researchers go to some lengths to state that it's not clear whether vaccination status has any relevance to the risk of contracting long Covid:

Dr David Darley from St Vincent’s Hospital, who is also a lead author on the paper, says there is no data as to whether different variants like Omicron cause the same changes, or what role vaccination may play in reducing the risk of developing long COVID. “From some early international data, we are very hopeful that with a milder variant and with high vaccination rates we may see less long COVID, but we will need further immunological data before we can say this for certain. “We are currently looking at some data from the Delta wave to understand whether vaccination may reduce the possibility of long COVID.”

• Like 1

18 hours ago, webfact said:

Analysis of over 80 research works on how people, who used to be infected with the virus, have a greater chance of developing long-term effects, such as fatigue and cognitive impairment.

Long term effects...

It's only been a short time infection so far?

What long term study?

• Like 2

...possible...could lead to...what!

It is documented in almost all studies and published papers that in many cases, particularly children; Sars-Covi-2 can/will and does cause 'Long Term Covid', ie symptoms lasting longer than 4 weeks.

10 hours ago, Mr Derek said:

Why are there two insurance adverts attached to this article?

Now the crisis is over, it seems that the medical profession, the insurance industries, and AseanNow are all looking for other ways to keep up the scare-mongering.

...in case you hadn't realised, the 'crisis' is all around us...can't you see the amount of daily infections and hospitalizations are increasing rapidly?

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, sead said:

Wow. They are really far advanced when they can tell about long term effects and it has just passed 2 years. I guess that is some of the top students winning prices all over Asia

Doctors and scientists are capable of drawing informed conclusions by observation of inflammation and organ damage. For example, they don't need to wait years to determine that a heart attack can cause long term damage.

• Like 1

Just now, raccos21 said:

Sounds like the ‘long- term Covid side effects’ also can bring more income to the policy makers by swindling more money from the regular ATK or PCR testing and travelers.

How do the policy makers profit financially from testing? That's a long bow you are trying to draw.

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, webfact said:

A senior doctor at the Faculty of Medicine of Thailand’s Chulalongkorn University has advised that it is better to protect oneself from COVID-19 infection due to the possible long-term side effects of the disease, even if they are not hospitalised

Erm, isn't that what most people are doing, but some still get infected? Perhaps some recommended procedures to protect 100% would help.

23 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Your use of the word "will" implies that you seem fairly sure that there will be long term side effects of the vaccines. Instead of spreading FUD why not support your claim with credible links? We all know that there are none.

I know someone that was doing fine till she had the second dose. Months later still not well. Never had the disease itself to her knowledge.

NB. I am not claiming that the jab DID cause her subsequent illness, as it could have been caused by something else at the same time as the jab. Just a huge co incidence.

Sorry, obviously no "link" possible. Believe or not- up to you.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I know someone that was doing fine till she had the second dose. Months later still not well. Never had the disease itself to her knowledge.

Sorry, obviously no "link" possible. Believe or not- up to you.

A very few people will suffer bad effects and even death from any vaccine. We know that. We also know that the risk from the virus is much worse.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The good Dr says to not get infected, but offers no way to do so 100%. Perhaps he should have been more cautious about what he says then.

That is the aim. Wearing masks is obviously intended to avoid infection. Nobody pretends it is 100% effective but it has been proven beyond shadow of doubt that wearing masks, social distancing and vaccines reduce the likelihood of infection.

• Confused 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, ozimoron said:

A very few people will suffer bad effects and even death from any vaccine. We know that. We also know that the risk from the virus is much worse.

You are deflecting. I gave an example of a possible side effect of a vaccine, nothing more or less. I'm not even advocating to not have one given I am double jabbed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

That is the aim. Wearing masks is obviously intended to avoid infection. Nobody pretends it is 100% effective but it has been proven beyond shadow of doubt that wearing masks, social distancing and vaccines reduce the likelihood of infection.

Reduce being the pertinent word. I want to know how the good Dr suggests we avoid infection 100% given he advises us to not get infected at all.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Reduce being the pertinent word. I want to know how the good Dr suggests we avoid infection 100% given he advises us to not get infected at all.

Do you really believe that Fauci implied that is was possible to 100% avoid infection? I think you are clutching at straws here.

5 minutes ago, patman30 said:

does losing the use of your limbs count as Long term side effects ?
"250 people have received payouts of 100,000-240,000 baht for severe conditions that could have been caused by vaccination such as losing functions of their limbs which affected their daily lives. "

what about death or permenant disiability, do they count as long term side effects?
"400,000 baht were provided to 2,264 families of the deceased patients or people permanently disabled"

Those are the realised short term effects. Long term effects in the context of the post I replied to implies potential unrealised and yet unknown long term effects of the vaccines.

Edited by ozimoron

long term ... after 2 years?  We saw how accurate extrapolation/modelling has been so far with covid. 

One may suffer long term effects from covid and one may be run over by a bus, by all means be careful crossing the road.

The questions to answer is not whether someone somewhere will still suffer from having been infected with covid but how will they suffer, how meaningfiul is that, what is the probability of such suffering based on whih charcteristics. 

1 minute ago, thaibook said:

long term ... after 2 years?  We saw how accurate extrapolation/modelling has been so far with covid. 

One may suffer long term effects from covid and one may be run over by a bus, by all means be careful crossing the road.

The questions to answer is not whether someone somewhere will still suffer from having been infected with covid but how will they suffer, how meaningfiul is that, what is the probability of such suffering based on whih charcteristics. 

There's huge amounts of data out there which provides informed opinions by doctors and scientists. The consensus is that it is a serious problem. Covid is known to damage all organs including the brain.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Caldera said:

"Long Covid" seems to be more of an issue in those countries where people are well compensated for calling in sick. The destruction of the economy as a result of overly harsh measures, on the other hand, is very tangible.

The destruction of the economy from opening up with high levels of infections is also well known.