Senior Thai doctor says COVID-19 could lead to long-term side effects

webfact

1 minute ago, Airalee said:

It’s acceptable enough to be able to comment that people (in general) don’t take good enough care of their health.

Clearly 1 in 10 did at least because they had no comorbidities which you claim is mostly down to lifestyle.

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Clearly 1 in 10 did at least because they had no comorbidities which you claim is mostly down to lifestyle.

1 in 10 is a pretty sad statistic.  Why hasn’t the MSM and governments around the world been pushing healthy living over the last couple years?   But nope.  Under the guise of diversity, now the mantra is “Health at every size”.  I suppose that’s why people in the US gained an average of 29 lbs during the pandemic.  I suspect the next crisis will be knee replacements and a shortage of mobility scooters. 

https://haescommunity.com

52 minutes ago, Airalee said:

A second opinion should be obtained from another qualified physician, not from myself.

I would however suggest that they try to eat a healthy diet, exercise and abstain from drinking and smoking.  But they probably wouldn’t listen anyways and would quite possibly say “who do you think you are?  My doctor?”

You are avoiding my question.

92% of Covid victims have a co-morbidity. Unless their medical condition precludes vaccination, wouldn’t you suggest they be vaccinated?

12 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Yes, I just posted similar comment elsewhere........it is a pity Omicron didn't come first, before the predecessors killed 5 million plus!!

Because it mysteriously replaced the flu?

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

You are avoiding my question.

92% of Covid victims have a co-morbidity. Unless their medical condition precludes vaccination, wouldn’t you suggest they be vaccinated?

I’m not their mom, Doctor or keeper.  It’s not my place to make suggestions nor recommendations.  Nor is it yours.

• Haha 1

I wonder why the medical world is not advising people to take Zinc, Vitamin D, Vitamin C and so on to boost their immune system against respiratory infections like Covid??? They would much rather tell the world how dangerous Covid is and to get double vaccinated and take your boosters as they become due. And after several boosters your immune system will be in a vunerable state placing you at the mercy of all and any other virus's that come along!  I am not against vaccine's but its relatively new and we should proceed with caution instead of banging booster shots into people every 6 months or so.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Yes, I just posted similar comment elsewhere........it is a pity Omicron didn't come first, before the predecessors killed 5 million plus!!

The weaker and more infectious variant always comes after the stronger one in a pandemic, not the other way around. 

12 hours ago, Airalee said:

One wonders what the health conditions and comorbidities were/are of those that suffer long term effects after Covid.  I know a few people who got Covid.  A couple are doing just fine afterwards (both were fit before contracting it and the effects both during and after were minimal.  One even ran a marathon shortly afterwards.  Even got a personal best if I remember correctly.  

Another was obese.  He had a tough time both during and for a while after his infection.  He has now decided to embark on a pretty serious fitness regimen and is doing much better now.

Could “long Covid” just be an extension of a persons general poor health.  Kind of a “straw that broke the camels back”?

Exactly -  I've counted 50+  friends and acquaintances who've had it and all had extremely minor symptoms, (certainly compared to the grave and genuinely life altering and life ending  illnesses that some unfortunately suffer, often more stoically) and apart from the possibly 10 or so that have significant other more serious conditions and varying degrees of obesity, none much in the way of post viral symptoms. 

As you rightly say, give yourself the best chance by being around the correct weight, eat a nutritious diet and exercise. Poor general health through lack of exercise, getting very fat and eating food devoid of nutrition will ensure much worse outcomes during any periods of illness. 

3 hours ago, paul1804 said:

I wonder why the medical world is not advising people to take Zinc, Vitamin D, Vitamin C and so on to boost their immune system against respiratory infections like Covid??? They would much rather tell the world how dangerous Covid is and to get double vaccinated and take your boosters as they become due. And after several boosters your immune system will be in a vunerable state placing you at the mercy of all and any other virus's that come along!  I am not against vaccine's but its relatively new and we should proceed with caution instead of banging booster shots into people every 6 months or so.

Let me inform you of something called “clinical trials”.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Oblomov said:

Exactly -  I've counted 50+  friends and acquaintances who've had it and all had extremely minor symptoms, (certainly compared to the grave and genuinely life altering and life ending  illnesses that some unfortunately suffer, often more stoically) and apart from the possibly 10 or so that have significant other more serious conditions and varying degrees of obesity, none much in the way of post viral symptoms. 

As you rightly say, give yourself the best chance by being around the correct weight, eat a nutritious diet and exercise. Poor general health through lack of exercise, getting very fat and eating food devoid of nutrition will ensure much worse outcomes during any periods of illness. 

And, yet, plenty of young healthy types have died from Covid.

3 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

And, yet, plenty of young healthy types have died from Covid.

And plenty of young healthy people have long covid now, in different gradations of severity. My sister and I both had covid in March 2020 and we’re still feeling it, my sister worse than me. We’re not so young anymore (both early 60’s) but we’re healthy, no weight issues or whatever. We both experienced mild symptoms yet the long term consequences were/are a lot more severe. 

• Sad 1

On 1/17/2022 at 7:28 PM, realfunster said:

Cutting-edge research, the good doctor should inform the global medical community of this development.

I am not a medical professional but I would propose ‘long COVID’ as a catchy name that gets the message across to the general public.

I guess that's what he's talking about, as at present they don't know if Omicron is causing long covid, so he's talking about Delta and the previous variant. Which are now virtually displaced by Omicron. 

11 hours ago, Rimbuman said:

Because it mysteriously replaced the flu?

One could see it that way...but previous mutations were far far removed from flu-like symptoms, putting multitudes onto ventilators and induced comas, that many would never come out of. 

Now we have a less severe mutation and fortunately it appears to displace its predecessors.... calling it 'the flu' may still be best avoided though.... damned fools were calling Covid 'the flu' a year and more ago and likely responsible for a stupidity that cost lives. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Did not appear to be the case with Alpha and then Delta did it? Variants are random..... how they do is Darwinian. 

Indeed. The previous and outdated theory as proposed by the anti vaxers who think that variants naturally mutate into a more infectious but less virulent form is called Lamark's Theory, a long since disproved theory which holds that mutations occur will fit the need. As you state, mutations in all species are random and the best adapted survive. The others don't.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ozimoron said:

The destruction of the economy from opening up with high levels of infections is also well known.

You need to qualify this statement by noting that it also depends at what stage of the pandemic a particular country finds itself. The UK, for instance, still has very high levels of infection, by any measure, but has opened up (to a greater or lesser extent) and is now showing better economic growth than most of the rest of Europe.

There comes a point when the raw level of infections is no longer a metric about which to worry, whether because of level of vaccination, mildness of prevalent strain, natural levels of immunity or whatever.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

You need to qualify this statement by noting that it also depends at what stage of the pandemic a particular country finds itself. The UK, for instance, still has very high levels of infection, by any measure, but has opened up (to a greater or lesser extent) and is now showing better economic growth than most of the rest of Europe.

There comes a point when the raw level of infections is no longer a metric about which to worry, whether because of level of vaccination, mildness of prevalent strain, natural levels of immunity or whatever.  

What is being experience in Australia is that, although the infections are milder, people simply aren't going out shopping and eating out much. Retail sales are down. Staff is in very short supply because of illness. Therefore I stand by my statement that I believe the actual level of infections needs to drop in order to restore public confidence.

"For the first time in Victoria's history, an emergency Code Brown alert has been activated across multiple hospitals in the state.

The government hopes using this rare alert will allow overwhelmed hospitals to better manage a surge in patients as Omicron COVID-19 cases soar.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01-19/what-is-code-brown-emergency-in-victorian-hospitals/100765890

Edited by ozimoron

9 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

From what I understand, the long term effects of death are far worse. 

Well, to be more precise, the long term effects of death are non-existent, or non-existence. As Lucretius said,

“Death is nothing to us. When we exist, death is not; and when death exists, we are not. All sensation and consciousness ends with death and therefore in death there is neither pleasure nor pain.”

Or to quote a more modern philosopher:

"I'm not afraid of death. I just don't want to be there when it happens." -- Woody Allen

This is not to say that I'm recommending death, but you'll get it when you're ready. Or maybe sooner.

Paul Laew

30 minutes ago, Paulaew said:

Well, to be more precise, the long term effects of death are non-existent, or non-existence. As Lucretius said,

“Death is nothing to us. When we exist, death is not; and when death exists, we are not. All sensation and consciousness ends with death and therefore in death there is neither pleasure nor pain.”

Or to quote a more modern philosopher:

"I'm not afraid of death. I just don't want to be there when it happens." -- Woody Allen

This is not to say that I'm recommending death, but you'll get it when you're ready. Or maybe sooner.

Paul Laew

True. But I was referring to death, relative to life. As Darwin surmised, we make decisions based upon our fitness for this life. Some are less fit than others, and I put the anti vax people into the former camp.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, ChC1 said:

HIV death is rare too, until AIDS comes in. I am just saying for the sake of science and statistics. The point is that we don't know about Omicron and its long term effects yet until a decade of 20 years later when we have enough evidence to confirm. After all there was an early report (have not been recalled yet!!) that the first few cases of Omicron were detected among HIV patients in South Africa or/and Zimbabwe and lead the scientist to believe Covid had merged with HIV. This piece of news was seen in some right wing media outlet when Omicron was first detected. I personally was very sceptical about that report and thought it could be misinformation

I am not say that we shouldn't get on with life. We absolutely needs to. But it is also important to be vigilant and try to keep an open mind. 

I am not scared by any of the Covid virus neither. But I firmly believe it takes time to understand the full effects of a virus, especially if there is a good chance that this virus was a synthetic or Gain-of-function product. Again I am not saying it is. I am just keeping an open mind about it.

I appreciate your concerns.   To rest a few of your fears.  Omicron may have emerged in a patient with untreated HIV, an immune compromised person, but there is no evidence that it has undergone recombination with HIV.  There seems to be evidence it has recombined with the common cold (Rhinovirus), possibly explaining its milder symptoms and lower mortality rate.  There is always the risk of a virus such as the cold, flue or coronavirus recombining with something like Ebola.  This is the basis for many excellent zombie films.  However life goes on.  We live day to day with these risks.  Omicron provides long term TCells (Memory TCells) to retain information to fight any variant of the virus.  Therefore its a relatively low impact mass vaccination programme.  Lets hope we dont have found 4 - Ebolicron - or something worse.  ????  

On 1/19/2022 at 4:21 PM, jacko45k said:

You should have attended secondary school.....far better to compare like to like. In case you did not know, Influenza is not Covid.... 

Here's a link to the CDC website that compares the flu VIRUS with the Covid-19 VIRUS:

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/symptoms/flu-vs-covid19.htm

They're both viruses. 

Obviously you never learned set theory. 

We learned that in 2nd grade. ????

Seriously.

At the time, they called it "new math" because it represented the logic behind computer programs.

In this case the set of VIRUSES is a circle.  All viruses inside this set are also circles.  Each represents a different TYPE of virus.  

One type would be coronaviruses.  Inside that SUBSET of the virus SET, would be other circles.  One circle for alpha, another for beta, another for delta, another for omicron.

All these things can be described by logic ANDs, ORs, NOTs, etc.

At the time, they called this UNION and INTERSECTION.  

So, yes you can compare different things.  You can compare facts about them.  Inclusion in different sets.  Differences.

To say you can't compare COVID with flu virus molecules, is like saying you can't compare Granny Smith apples with Red Delicious apples, which is not only absurd, insane and probably the most stupid thing I have read.

Tell us more about aliens, chemtrails, injecting bleach and drinking urine. ????

Edited by SiSePuede419