Jump to content

Bangkok Bank or SCB.....Which is better?


Recommended Posts

I currently only use Krung Thai Bank in Thailand, but now WISE will only allow transfers of less than 50,000 Thb per transaction to Bangkok Bank, SCB or Kasikorn I want to open another account.

 

I visited branches of the above today to enquire about opening a new account.

 

Kasikorn said I could not as my Visa is Non (O) Retirement and they only allow Non (OA) applicants who have retired.

 

So my choice is Bangkok Bank or Siam Commercial Bank.

 

So which is best?

 

Many thanks in advance!

 

 

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve had both for years and have not really noticed any difference.... 

 

Both have online and mBanking...  I have promptpay linked to my Bangkok account, but could have it linked to my SCB account if I wanted it. 

 

 

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess for objectivity, you need responses from someone who has banked with both.   Again, customer service levels can of course vary between branches.   Location of branch for convenience is important also.    Personally, I've been with SCB for 14 years, and no complaints.   Their security for on-line transactions via their app is good.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing I should have added is which do you feel is better if any when getting statements, updating Bank Books , etc., for Retirement Extension purposes?

 

I live on Samui and they are often difficult to deal with and tend to change 90 Day Report requirements as well as Annual Extension Requirements at short notice.

 

I know some offices ask for 12 month's statements when applying for the Annual Extension and that some banks may take over a week to supply these......

 

Samui immigration only normally allow a period of 10 working days before the extension is due to apply so any hold up in getting statements could cause severe problems!

 

Last year they only asked for 3 months "Back-Statements", but you know what it's like!

 

TIA

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a customer of both:  Bangkok Bank for 9 years, SCB for two weeks.

I like SCB's EZ Savings Account, currently paying 1.5% APR interest.  Don't think Bangkok Bank has a similar savings account.  Caution:  there is no passbook and so this account might not be a good choice for the account in which you keep your immigration required balance for your extensions of stay.

Bangkok Bank can take a week or so to produce a 12-month bank statement as only 6 months worth of customer data is maintained at branches.  The request for a 12-month bank statement must be made to Bangkok Bank headquarters and that takes a week to receive the results back.  I don't know how SCB stacks up in this regard.

I also like Krugnsri Bank's Mee Tae Dai savings account, currently paying 1.0% APR.  I use this account for immigration purposes.  Krungsri Bank is able to produce my bank letter and 12-month bank account statement the next day after I ask for it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, skatewash said:

I'm a customer of both:  Bangkok Bank for 9 years, SCB for two weeks.

I like SCB's EZ Savings Account, currently paying 1.5% APR interest.  Don't think Bangkok Bank has a similar savings account.  Caution:  there is no passbook and so this account might not be a good choice for the account in which you keep your immigration required balance for your extensions of stay.

Bangkok Bank can take a week or so to produce a 12-month bank statement as only 6 months worth of customer data is maintained at branches.  The request for a 12-month bank statement must be made to Bangkok Bank headquarters and that takes a week to receive the results back.  I don't know how SCB stacks up in this regard.

I also like Krugnsri Bank's Mee Tae Dai savings account, currently paying 1.0% APR.  I use this account for immigration purposes.  Krungsri Bank is able to produce my bank letter and 12-month bank account statement the next day after I ask for it.

Thanks guys for all your information.

 

In truth the only reason I am considering getting a second Bank Account is because of the problem with WISE transfers to Thailand over 50K Baht!.

 

I have been a Krung Thai Customer for 12 years plus and no complaints apart from when a "Girlie" was staying with me about 10 years ago and obviously stood behind me at the ATM....Clocked my PIN and you know the rest.....

 

120K Down before I noticed and KTB said it was my fault!...No compensation!

 

I even got her arrested by the Tourist Police when I found out about the loss and got the pictures of her withdrawing the cash from the ATM cameras......I also got the Tracking Codes and found out that she did not actually take most of it as cash, but had transferred it to her own account via the ATM!

 

When they arrested her I said I would see the cops at the station to give my statement and they took her away in  the car...(they were expecting me to get in the back of the "Paddy Wagon" with her)!.....No Way!.....She had suddenly turned into a WildCat! 

 

Guess what???....When I got to the Tourist Police Office there was no sign of her or the cops!.....I waited over an hour and then the Office Cop told me that she had "ESCAPED"! 

 

I told them that it was BS and she must have paid them off!.....Things then started to turn NASTY with the cops so I just said, "Forget it"! and put it down to experience and left.

 

I will keep my KTB account and probably just get a Bangkok Bank account to use for transfers.

 

Thanks again to all for your help and hope you learned from and/or had a laugh at my story??? :thumbsup::jap:

Edited by Troy Tempest
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Troy Tempest said:

I currently only use Krung Thai Bank in Thailand, but now WISE will only allow transfers of less than 50,000 Thb per transaction to Bangkok Bank, SCB or Kasikorn I want to open another account.

I had SCB for 14 years and have always been very satisfied with them. Never managed to get an account with BKK-Bank as my local branch was "farang can not, Need work permit etc." (Hence don't take the denial at one branch of Kasikorn too seriously. This babble about only O-A Visa is not true)

 

A bit confused by the OP. You want to change account from KTB to BBL or SCB because they have a limit on 50K wise transactions? Or dont they? I ask because i use SCB, but have not transferred through Wise for a while.

Who has the 50K limit? KTB, BBL, Kasikorn or SCB? or all of them?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

OP, just be aware that SCB does not have a branch in CW immigration. If in the future you deal with CW a bank account other than SCB is best.

BTW ...I have Kasikorn bank account and my original visa in Non O and my extensions are retirement.

Good bank BTW. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, just be aware that SCB does not have a branch in CW immigration. If in the future you deal with CW a bank account other that SCB is best.

BTW ...I have Kasikorn bank account and my original visa in Non O and my extensions are retirement.

Good bank BTW. 

 

Correct. Updating a bank book on the same day to satisfy a visa extension is a real pain with this bank.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Troy Tempest said:

Thanks guys for all your information.

 

In truth the only reason I am considering getting a second Bank Account is because of the problem with WISE transfers to Thailand over 50K Baht!.

 

I have been a Krung Thai Customer for 12 years plus and no complaints apart from when a "Girlie" was staying with me about 10 years ago and obviously stood behind me at the ATM....Clocked my PIN and you know the rest.....

 

120K Down before I noticed and KTB said it was my fault!...No compensation!

 

I even got her arrested by the Tourist Police when I found out about the loss and got the pictures of her withdrawing the cash from the ATM cameras......I also got the Tracking Codes and found out that she did not actually take most of it as cash, but had transferred it to her own account via the ATM!

 

When they arrested her I said I would see the cops at the station to give my statement and they took her away in  the car...(they were expecting me to get in the back of the "Paddy Wagon" with her)!.....No Way!.....She had suddenly turned into a WildCat! 

 

Guess what???....When I got to the Tourist Police Office there was no sign of her or the cops!.....I waited over an hour and then the Office Cop told me that she had "ESCAPED"! 

 

I told them that it was BS and she must have paid them off!.....Things then started to turn NASTY with the cops so I just said, "Forget it"! and put it down to experience and left.

 

I will keep my KTB account and probably just get a Bangkok Bank account to use for transfers.

 

Thanks again to all for your help and hope you learned from and/or had a laugh at my story??? :thumbsup::jap:

How did she get your card?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, just be aware that SCB does not have a branch in CW immigration. If in the future you deal with CW a bank account other than SCB is best.

But he lives on Samui!

 

23 hours ago, Troy Tempest said:

I live on Samui

That said, though, your point is IMHO well made in the case of anyone living in Bangkok and reading this thread with a similar question to his.

 

Edited by OJAS
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 1/17/2022 at 4:21 PM, pagallim said:

customer service levels can of course vary between branches.   

Very, very true. And even between staff in branches. My local BBL branch appears to be using the foreign transactions desk as a retirement job for ancient, very rigid (mai dai, mai dai) staff about to go. The branch up the road has an excellent foreign transactions desk who could not be more helpful.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 1/18/2022 at 7:23 AM, MajorTom said:

I had SCB for 14 years and have always been very satisfied with them. Never managed to get an account with BKK-Bank as my local branch was "farang can not, Need work permit etc." (Hence don't take the denial at one branch of Kasikorn too seriously. This babble about only O-A Visa is not true)

 

A bit confused by the OP. You want to change account from KTB to BBL or SCB because they have a limit on 50K wise transactions? Or dont they? I ask because i use SCB, but have not transferred through Wise for a while.

Who has the 50K limit? KTB, BBL, Kasikorn or SCB? or all of them?

Sorry MT if I did not make myself clear!

 

I do not wish to leave KTB, but I want to open another account simply for WISE tranfers over 50K Thb!

 

BBL, Kasikorn or SCB are the only Thai banks that WISE are allowed to transfer over 50K per transaction to!

 

I will just open a 2nd Thai bank account with one of those mentioned above purely for WISE transfers and then transfer the monies to KTB! :thumbsup:

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Bangkok Bank,its the quickest for receiving any monies from.abroad,as all overseas transfers go through their central office in Bangkok

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Jimbo53 said:

Bangkok Bank,its the quickest for receiving any monies from.abroad,as all overseas transfers go through their central office in Bangkok

 

Thanks Jimbo!

 

I went to immigration today on Samui as BBL want a certificate of residence to open an account here!

 

When I got to immigration it was packed with "Tourist Types" so I left and decided to open an account with SCB!.....When I arrived at the Local SCB Branch it was closed with a notice pinned to the door saying closed due to Covid within the branch (bank staff).

 

I can wait!

 

Maybe a blessing in disguise???? :thumbsup:

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jimbo53 said:

Bangkok Bank,its the quickest for receiving any monies from.abroad,as all overseas transfers go through their central office in Bangkok

 

You can add SCB. A wise transfer normally takes about 10 seconds.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 1/17/2022 at 5:03 PM, Troy Tempest said:

One thing I should have added is which do you feel is better if any when getting statements, updating Bank Books , etc., for Retirement Extension purposes?

 

I live on Samui and they are often difficult to deal with and tend to change 90 Day Report requirements as well as Annual Extension Requirements at short notice.

 

I know some offices ask for 12 month's statements when applying for the Annual Extension and that some banks may take over a week to supply these......

 

Samui immigration only normally allow a period of 10 working days before the extension is due to apply so any hold up in getting statements could cause severe problems!

 

Last year they only asked for 3 months "Back-Statements", but you know what it's like!

 

TIA

 

I live on Samui too.

 

Firstly. I have a K 'bank on a non O, so what they told you is BS. Try another branch.

The one along from Tesco Lotus, heading towards Makro on the ring road is good. Staff deal with foreigners all the time.

Take a certificate of residence with you to any bank where you wish to open an account.

 

In fact I did my annual extension this week, and K-Bank did my bank letter and 12 month statement in about 15 minutes for 250 baht. I updated my passbook, then photocopied all pages before going to Immigration.

 

Bangkok Bank in Central Festival is pretty good too. Helpful staff.

The bigger banks in Central Festival:  Bangkok Bank, SCB, Kasikorn, are probably more used to dealing with foreigners than the smaller banks. 

 

If you want to use Wise, then Bangkok Bank seems the slightly better favourite. IMHO.

 

HTH

Edited by phetphet
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 1/18/2022 at 2:36 PM, Chris.B said:

"Kasikorn said I could not as my Visa is Non (O) Retirement and they only allow Non (OA) applicants who have retired."

 

I have a Non O retirement visa and I opened an account at Kasikorn Bank.

 

 

Me too.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 1/18/2022 at 10:30 AM, Troy Tempest said:

a "Girlie" was staying with me about 10 years ago and obviously stood behind me at the ATM....Clocked my PIN and you know the rest.....

 

120K Down before I noticed and KTB said it was my fault!...No compensation!

Of course it was your fault!   Why would the bank be expected to compensate you?

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jimbo53 said:

Bangkok Bank,its the quickest for receiving any monies from.abroad,as all overseas transfers go through their central office in Bangkok

 

All Thai banks' incoming international transfers go through their respective head offices, not just BBL!

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Troy Tempest said:

When I got to immigration it was packed with "Tourist Types" so I left

What is the difference between your "type" and tourists, do you think that you're more special than those "types"?  Perhaps they were glad to see you and your attitude leave!

Edited by Liverpool Lou
Link to post
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, phetphet said:

I live on Samui too.

 

Firstly. I have a K 'bank on a non O, so what they told you is BS. Try another branch.

The one along from Tesco Lotus, heading towards Makro on the ring road is good. Staff deal with foreigners all the time.

Take a certificate of residence with you to any bank where you wish to open an account.

 

In fact I did my annual extension this week, and K-Bank did my bank letter and 12 month statement in about 15 minutes for 250 baht. I updated my passbook, then photocopied all pages before going to Immigration.

 

Bangkok Bank in Central Festival is pretty good too. Helpful staff.

The bigger banks in Central Festival:  Bangkok Bank, SCB, Kasikorn, are probably more used to dealing with foreigners than the smaller banks. 

 

If you want to use Wise, then Bangkok Bank seems the slightly better favourite. IMHO.

 

HTH

Thanks for your very useful reply!

 

I notice that you mention 12 month statement!...... Is this a new requirement at Samui IMO?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What is the difference between your "type" and tourists, do you think that you're more special than those "types"?  Perhaps they were glad to see you and your attitude leave!

The difference is having lived here for 12 years I know my way around Samui immigration office and their procedures.

 

These "Tourist types" obviously did not know their way around and were forming long queues at the information booths set up outside the office in tents!

 

I do not think I am "Special" as you put it! I was simply stating that they appeared to not know their way around!....

 

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Troy Tempest said:

 

 

I will just open a 2nd Thai bank account with one of those mentioned above purely for WISE transfers and then transfer the monies to KTB! :thumbsup:

I use SCB for about 15 years, no problem : I transfer my money only with Wise, and it works very well with SCB , maybe one day , ( and a few seconds with a credit card like Visa ( but I use the normal transfer bank to bank )) 

18 hours ago, Troy Tempest said:

 

 

 

Edited by Aforek
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...