Bangkok Bank or SCB.....Which is better?

The single largest shareholder in Siam Commercial Bank is the Crown Property Bureau (currently 23.35%). That might not matter to you, though it does to me, especially since the assets of the CPB no longer belong to the Thai people.

Paul Laew

1 hour ago, Paulaew said:

The single largest shareholder in Siam Commercial Bank is the Crown Property Bureau (currently 23.35%). That might not matter to you, though it does to me, especially since the assets of the CPB no longer belong to the Thai people.

Paul Laew

Is that just inane virtue signaling, or can you recommend an alternative bank that IS owned by the Thai people?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Troy Tempest said:

Thanks for your very useful reply!

I notice that you mention 12 month statement!...... Is this a new requirement at Samui IMO?

When I went last year (January 21) with my bank letter and 3-month statement, the grumpy lady sent me away to get a 12-month statement. When I asked why? she answered, "Because that is what Boss want."

So i ended up paying twice at the bank.

This time I just asked the bank for a 12-month statement. Same price and  it was accepted.

No more difficult to get a twelve month statement vs a three month statement, so played safe.

It may be their way of checking that the 800,000 wasn't touched too early.

1 hour ago, phetphet said:

When I went last year (January 21) with my bank letter and 3-month statement, the grumpy lady sent me away to get a 12-month statement. When I asked why? she answered, "Because that is what Boss want."

So i ended up paying twice at the bank.

This time I just asked the bank for a 12-month statement. Same price and  it was accepted.

No more difficult to get a twelve month statement vs a three month statement, so played safe.

It may be their way of checking that the 800,000 wasn't touched too early.

Thanks Phetphet!.....By the "Grumpy One" I assume you mean the "Plump Lady" who normally deals with Retirement Extensions?

It seems that she treats different people on Samui in different ways according to how she is feeling on the day!.....I have noticed over the years that she is always far more accomodating just after lunch!....For that reason I normally go to IMO at about 1:15pm.

They used to put out the lists with all the requirements, but I haven't seen them for a while!

I know she treats people differently, but I was wondering if this 12 month Statement thing is a New Rule?.....I have never been asked for that before in 12 years......But as you know they change the rules all the time! :thumbsup:

The other thing is now Samui IMO only seem to allow a maximum of 10 working days before your extension is due unless there are extenuating circumstances!....Once I had to go back to the UK 4 weeks before my extension was due for business reasons. I normally spend a couple of months over there which would mean I would miss my extension date or have to come back very early!

At first they wouldn't play ball and said I would have to start my Visa application from scratch when I returned!.....However, they eventually relented on condition I provided copies of my return flight tickets! 

I have never asked KTB for 12 month's statements, but I know some banks can be slow as they have to get the statements from Head Office!....I am wary of missing the "Window"!

Edited by Troy Tempest

When I went to Immigration to get the forms a week or so before my application, they came all stapled together with the requirements document being the top one.

Yes. That is the lady.

Every time I have gone to Kasikorn for my bank letter, they have always done it in front of me while I waited.

Three months  or twelve months costs the same, and takes the same amount of time.

Why risk getting sent back to do it again? But up to you. I am only going by what happened to me last year.

In fact I did the medical the day before I was going, and the bank letter and statement on the same morning I was going. Bear in mind though, you will then need to do photocopies of all pages of updated bank book.

HTH

On 1/22/2022 at 9:50 AM, phetphet said:

When I went to Immigration to get the forms a week or so before my application, they came all stapled together with the requirements document being the top one.

Yes. That is the lady.

Every time I have gone to Kasikorn for my bank letter, they have always done it in front of me while I waited.

Three months  or twelve months costs the same, and takes the same amount of time.

Why risk getting sent back to do it again? But up to you. I am only going by what happened to me last year.

In fact I did the medical the day before I was going, and the bank letter and statement on the same morning I was going. Bear in mind though, you will then need to do photocopies of all pages of updated bank book.

HTH

Thanks again Mate!

I know how ''ANAL" they can be at Samui IMO.

My extension isn't due until July so I will get the updated requirements list when I do my next 90 day report......Although as we know Thai laws and Immigration "Rules" are subject to "Stingray Time"....As in "Anything could happen in the next half hour"!

I take no chances and actually do the Bank withdrawal, update the Bank Book, get the statements and Bank letter and go home to make the photo copies....Then go to the International Hospital to get the Med Certificate.....Pray to Buddha and Then go to  immigration hoping that the Fat One is not premenstrual on the day! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

It was even worse when "Mr. Angry" was The Boss Man at Nathon ....(Before he ended up in the "Nick")! :clap2::cheesy:

By the way....I have always done the Money in the Bank Route..i.e, I always keep over 1m Thb in my savings account....I do not do the Pension/Combination method and I am on Non Immigrant (O)....Not OA or Marriage Visa!.....

Edited by Troy Tempest