Do you actually need a Sim Card?

aussiexpat

I debated this over 2 years ago as my condo has wifi and every Pattaya bar you go to has free wifi also. Do you really need a Sim card with so many social media ways to contact people? You can even call each other on wifi messenger if you actually want to speak to someone.

Maybe not having 24/7 access to social media is a good thing ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, In Full Agreement said:

Do you ever have need to call a business in your home country?

No I email them

12 minutes ago, Paulaew said:

You do need a SIM card if you're going to do any electronic banking here, since the bank may want to send SMS codes to your phone for security.

Paul Laew

I do all my banking with wifi. All banks I have use apps and the OTP code is given via the app rather than by sms

16 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

For the cost, ease and convenience of a SIM Card and data plan in Thailand the question really should be, why wouldn’t anyone get a SIM card ?

Well, you and I think like that, but there is a whole generation of younger people in America (and probably elsewhere) who have opted out of the phone sevice provider system altogether, and just use wifi wherever it's available. They mainly use social media and, as the OP said, "You can even call each other on wifi messenger if you actually want to speak to someone."

As if you might actually want to talk to a live person!

Paul Laew

Edited by Paulaew
spelling
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Paulaew said:

Well, you and I think like that, but there is a whole generation of younger people in America (and probably elsewhere) who have opted out of the phone sevice provider system altogether, and just use wifi wherever it's available. They mainly use social media and, as the OP said, "You can even call each other on wifi messenger if you actually want to speak to someone."

As if you might actually want to talk to a live person!

Paul Laew

Thats interesting to know... 

I don’t pay for a Plan... It comes as part of the Internet package at home....   800 baht all in for True Internet (400 mbps) / Mobile Phone (30 GB) per month.... 

Before that I think I had a plan for about 100 baht per month...  and topped up on the App IF I needed extra data. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, aussiexpat said:

I don't want to, I'm in the "Get off my lawn" stage of life ????

I'm at the stage of life where the doctors' offices are calling me to confirm my appointments. I have to have a SIM card so they can reach me ????

Paul Laew

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

In addition, many mobile banking apps must be activated using mobile data and not wifi.

Not true, I switched all my bank sms alerts to give app alerts

Edited by aussiexpat

Just now, aussiexpat said:

Not true, I switched all my bank sms alerts to their app

What if you change your phone ???  (the app needs a ref code SMS’d to the registered phone number, no ?)

Do you need a phone number and OTP to activate the App on that Phone ??

Do the ThaiBanks have that option?

I travel a lot and having to switch back to my Thai SIM to receive an OTP while over seas to carry out a Thai transaction is somewhat of an annoyance - App approval for Thai Banks would be a step forwards. 

Note: I have App approval with my UK accounts (and some from other countries), but not Thailand. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, blackcab said:

You will need a sim card if you use Thai banking apps, as many of these provide a one time passcode via SMS to verify your online purchases.

And wont allow certain aspects of the app to be completed over wifi.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, treetops said:

I would say mobile data is required if you want to use Bolt or Grab to get around.  You might have wifi in your condo or an establishment you frequent, but once you're a few yards outside waiting on a taxi you need to be able to communicate with them.

Lol, in 14 years coming to Pattaya I've never sat outside waiting for a taxi. They message/Line me when outside and then I leave my condo. If catching a taxi away from my Condo, they're on the street ready to go

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

What if you change your phone ???  (the app needs a ref code SMS’d to the registered phone number, no ?)

Do you need a phone number and OTP to activate the App on that Phone ??

Do the ThaiBanks have that option?

I travel a lot and having to switch back to my Thai SIM to receive an OTP while over seas to carry out a Thai transaction is somewhat of an annoyance - App approval for Thai Banks would be a step forwards. 

Note: I have App approval with my UK accounts (and some from other countries), but not Thailand. 

I'm most familiar with the K+ App, which must be reactivated using mobile data if you change your phone number.  This can be done in the App:

image.png.1ac7146e2cf12cf6ac146ab6c76d6c20.png

Once it is activated you can use any wifi connection, not necessarily in Thailand, to connect and do your banking.  I log onto the App using my fingerprint and, once I've set up a transaction, enter my 6 digit PIN to confirm.  I have transfered money to other accounts when out of Thailand using this method on a number of occasions.

3 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Lol, in 14 years coming to Pattaya I've never sat outside waiting for a taxi. They message/Line me when outside and then I leave my condo. If catching a taxi away from my Condo, they're on the street ready to go

How do you hail a Bolt or Grab out on the street in an area with no regular taxis?

• Like 1