Do you actually need a Sim Card?

aussiexpat

17 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

All banks I have use apps and the OTP code is given via the app rather than by sms

You must be using a separate card reader or some other device to authenticate, no? I have a couple of those for UK bank online (computer, not smartphone) procedures.

None of my banks (all five of them), both Thai and foreign, send Two-factor authentication (2FA) codes via their smartphone app. They all send via sms to the mobile phone number authorized to receive them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:
16 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

As I said earlier, I bought a condo central to everything in Pattaya so that I never needed to catch a taxi again...don't need Bolt or Grab whatever they are. I can walk everywhere.

So you're never gonna go outwith walking distance from you're condo in central Pattaya?

If it's near Soi 6, no.

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

You must be using a separate card reader or some other device to authenticate, no? I have a couple of those for UK bank online (computer, not smartphone) procedures.

None of my banks (all five of them), both Thai and foreign, send Two-factor authentication (2FA) codes via their smartphone app. They all send via sms to the mobile phone number authorized to receive them.

Citibank allows OTP to be generated by app with sms option  turned off. My Westpac gave me a usb size code generator. I still need to check with my Krungsi bank as OTP goes to my now dead Thai phone so I can't even pay my elec bill lol

17 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

Why is it that every thread you imply the OP has a hidden agenda or what they say didn't really happen because it doesn't fit your understanding. Thread is simple, do we actually need a Sim in Pattaya anymore?

If you wanna do business with a Thai Bank then you absolutely need one!

Or if you want to order stuff online (Lazada, Shopee, Food etc) also

Or Immigration, but that one can be debatable as I gave them my number and they haven't called once!!

On the other end, not having a SIM can be very useful, the amount of Spam Callers (mostly automated .....t) that keep calling is increasing.

Or for example you buy a new car and just a couple of months before the Free insurance is running out, you get phone calls from Brokers saying that the insurance is running out, care to renew it. (One Broker company in particular ????)

On 1/17/2022 at 2:55 PM, aussiexpat said:

As I said earlier, I bought a condo central to everything in Pattaya so that I never needed to catch a taxi again...don't need Bolt or Grab whatever they are. I can walk everywhere.

I also got a condo in central Pattaya, so I can walk everywhere. 

Last month I had an accident in the street and needed a taxi to go urgently to Bangkok hospital.

I needed to Grab a taxi.

As with many countries a sim card number functions as a form of ID and is often required, needed, requested in day to day  dealings. My mobile  number has identified  me at my hospital and my bank for  over a decade. It keeps me connected  with drivers in other cities and hotels I wish to return to. Line and WhatsApp  are great but WiFi dependant and thus not reliable. I'm pretty sure most mobile phones require a sim card for  them to function but for what reason would someone want to avoid owing  sim card..

Edited by The Hammer2021

On 1/17/2022 at 7:15 PM, aussiexpat said:

You can even call each other on wifi messenger if you actually want to speak to someone.

Yeah, let us know how long that call lasts once you relocate to another bar.

Mobile providers here and elsewhere do offer WiFi calling but that does require a SIM/account to register and use.

I think some could get by without a mobile phone account (eSIM or SIM), like the OP, while others cannot. I know I couldn't.

Finally one does need a mobile telephone number to register for

On 1/17/2022 at 7:15 PM, aussiexpat said:

so many social media ways to contact people

services like FB/Messenger, LINE, WhatsApp!, etc.

So there's that.

On 1/17/2022 at 7:33 PM, Lacessit said:

My son introduced me to a video conferencing tool called Duo, works better than LINE or Skype, no SIM card required.

DUO is Google's communication app, same as Skype, Teams etc. SIM is not needed for any of those as long as you have Wi_Fi.

34 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

any of those as long as you have Wi_Fi.

And the person you wish to call also has the same app, and you have their ID (or telephone number!), and they have to have WiFi too.

Duo may be headed for the bin so maybe be aware of that before committing too much time to it?

You can register for Duo without a SIM, although that is also an option, by associating it with your Google Account.

Edited by mtls2005

Plenty of verifications per SMS. Plus, some banking apps refuse to work when the VPN is on. Not sure whether using a banking app on a public Wi-Fi network without VPN is safe.

Why skip a sim-card in Thailand where 4G is good and cheap? If I had to do skip either Wi-Fi or 4G I would skip the former.

the truth is... No

Unless you want to make a receive traditional phone calls, a SIM card is not required, just wifi. Also, even if you are in an area that does not have wifi, but another person is with you that has a SIM card, you can ask them to make their phone a wifi hotspot, and you can connect via their phone. The only downside to not having a SIM would be ordering online. Some sites require a phone number for delivery. I had 38 years working as an engineer with at&t back in the states. I have also visited Thailand several times, and did not get a SIM card.