Do you actually need a Sim Card?

aussiexpat

2 minutes ago, treetops said:
7 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Lol, in 14 years coming to Pattaya I've never sat outside waiting for a taxi. They message/Line me when outside and then I leave my condo. If catching a taxi away from my Condo, they're on the street ready to go

How do you hail a Bolt or Grab out on the street in an area with no regular taxis?

He means ‘just flagging down a taxi’.... 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

I'm most familiar with the K+ App, which must be reactivated using mobile data if you change your phone number.  This can be done in the App:

image.png.1ac7146e2cf12cf6ac146ab6c76d6c20.png

Once it is activated you can use any wifi connection, not necessarily in Thailand, to connect and do your banking.  I log onto the App using my fingerprint and, once I've set up a transaction, enter my 6 digit PIN to confirm.  I have transfered money to other accounts when out of Thailand using this method on a number of occasions.

That works with my Bangkok Bank mBanking, but not my SCB mBanking. 

IF I change my phone or for whatever reason delete and need to re-install my App, I need to use a registered Phone Number and a Bangkok Bank ATM machine to activate the App again. 

With SCB I still need the OTP.

12 minutes ago, treetops said:

How do you hail a Bolt or Grab out on the street in an area with no regular taxis?

I don't even know what a Bolt or a Grab is so I think I'll survive having never used them in my life so far lol

Btw, I bought a condo central to everything in Pattaya so that I never needed to catch a taxi again ????

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, treetops said:

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

He means ‘just flagging down a taxi’....

I understand, but there aren't many taxis in a lot of places, including tourist places, and Grab/Bolt are their replacements.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

I don't even know what a Bolt or a Grab is so I think I'll survive having never used them in my life so far lol

Once you learn about them you'll wonder why you didn't use them earlier.   You probably didn't use wifi for many years of your life, but just look at you go now.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, treetops said:

Once you learn about them you'll wonder why you didn't use them earlier.   You probably didn't use wifi for many years of your life, but just look at you go now.

As I said earlier, I bought a condo central to everything in Pattaya so that I never needed to catch a taxi again...don't need Bolt or Grab whatever they are. I can walk everywhere.

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

As I said earlier . . .

Correction - what you edited into your post after I'd replied or as I was replying.

6 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

As I said earlier, I bought a condo central to everything in Pattaya so that I never needed to catch a taxi again...don't need Bolt or Grab whatever they are. 

I stay in Central Pattaya too, but travel all over and even just visiting friends a few miles away puts you out of luck as regards hailing taxis, but there's plenty other good reasons for having a SIM been given in the thread, and at minimal cost the question should be why not have one rather than do I need one.

Edited by treetops
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Line and Skype do not need a SIM card - they just need an internet connection.

I meant Duo does not need a SIM card either. The picture quality and range of movement with Duo is definitely superior to LINE, have not used Skype for quite a while.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

My son introduced me to a video conferencing tool called Duo, works better than LINE or Skype, no SIM card required.

I used google voice for calls and texts via wifi-----also have duo but never use it---Line app is handy

Also use AIS sim with unlimited data for 200bt a month--stream spotify all day and hotspot to stream movies to chromecast---ive use tons of data--well worth the 200/month

12 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

As I said earlier, I bought a condo central to everything in Pattaya so that I never needed to catch a taxi again...don't need Bolt or Grab whatever they are. I can walk everywhere.

Thats fair enough if you are happy being limited to area’s within walking distance, or using a baht-bus route.

Having the option at hand to use Grab of Bolt makes life more convenient for many, perhaps just not you. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, treetops said:

there's plenty other good reasons for having a SIM been given in the thread, and at minimal cost the question should be why not have one rather than do I need one.

I haven't seen any good reasons to get a Sim. I've had a Thai Sim for 14 years but now been back 4 days and Sim died as I was away too long. So far haven't missed it. Most reasons given have been banks but I'm covered by wifi, or taxi's which I don't use. I guess I've answered my own question, don't need a Sim in Pattaya (I'll get one when I travel north)

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thats fair enough if you are happy being limited to area’s within walking distance, or using a baht-bus route.

Having the option at hand to use one of those services makes life simpler and more convenient, thats all. If you don’t think you’ll ever need a taxi ever again in your life, there is no need for those apps, or you can just call a ‘local taxi’ from your landline.

(I’ve not had a landline for over 10 years - there’s another topic !).

Why would I need a landline to hire a taxi? That's the point, all taxi are bookable by wifi internet. I have a taxi service I've used for 5 years, they'll take me anywhere in Thailand. Bookable by email.

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, aussiexpat said:

Why would I need a landline to hire a taxi? That's the point, all taxi are bookable by wifi internet. I have a taxi service I've used for 5 years, they'll take me anywhere in Thailand. Bookable by email.

Ah ok... so you book them through e-mail..... (no need to phone them at all then).

E-mail your taxi service and ask if they can pick you up in 5 mins to take you to Nong Prue (or wherever)... see if you get a reply before morning !!!

Using e-mail means you have to book ahead.... Using a GRAB / Bolt Service is instant.

Of course, its all your choice.... its also your own inconvenience.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

I haven't seen any good reasons to get a Sim. I've had a Thai Sim for 14 years but now been back 4 days and Sim died as I was away too long. So far haven't missed it. Most reasons given have been banks but I'm covered by wifi, or taxi's which I don't use. I guess I've answered my own question, don't need a Sim in Pattaya (I'll get one when I travel north)

Let's see how long you last before you fold and realise its worth the added convenience of having number you can register with various delivery services, banks, taxis etc....

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

These threads....  

- Do you need a SIM card in Thailand ?

- Do you need our own transport Thailand ?

- Do you use ‘cashless / digital payment’ ?

- Do you need a Yellow Book / Pink ID card ?

etc etc....  are all the same... posters come up with a myriad of excuses as to why the don’t need something... or don’t need to do something a certain way etc... 

Why is it that every thread you imply the OP has a hidden agenda or what they say didn't really happen because it doesn't fit your understanding. Thread is simple, do we actually need a Sim in Pattaya anymore?

• Confused 2

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Ah ok... so you book them through e-mail..... (no need to phone them at all then).

E-mail your taxi service and ask if they can pick you up in 5 mins to take you to Nong Prue (or wherever)... see if you get a reply before morning !!!

Using e-mail means you have to book ahead.... Using a GRAB / Bolt Service is instant.

I don't book taxi at 5 minutes notice, why are you thinking your life is the same as mine?

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:
8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Expand  

I don't book taxi at 5 minutes notice, why are you thinking your life is the same as mine?

You asked.... Do you actually need a Sim Card?

You are getting answers as to why I (we) find having a SIM card may be necessary or more convenient - for both the number itself and the availability of mobile data.

In retrospect, given your argumentative nature to the responses.... everyone should simply be responding... You, don’t need a SIM card, but everyone else finds having a Thai mobile number to be of convenience worth the minimal cost involved. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Thread is simple, do we actually need a Sim in Pattaya anymore?

And posters are suggesting Yes, and explaining why.... then you are telling everyone why ‘you’ don’t fit that category.... 

If you don’t accept any of the reasons why a ‘long termer’ in Thailand (in any city) would find having a SIM card to provide additional convenience then thats up to you....

But I bet, within a short time frame you will find yourself in a situation where you wish you had mobile data and a phone number.... 

• Like 1

What does immigration say when you submit paperwork without a phone number?

I have lived without a sim before and it is so much easier to be able to provide a phone number than explain why I don't have a phone number. I personal think the cost of my data plan is worth not having to ask for a wifi password in every place I go.

• Like 1

Guest Isaanlife
7 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

Why is it that every thread you imply the OP has a hidden agenda or what they say didn't really happen because it doesn't fit your understanding. Thread is simple, do we actually need a Sim in Pattaya anymore?

If you can afford one, why not?

My logic is in case of emergency, I want to get in touch with my family.

Other than that, as Richard mentioned, having data to check maps and other things is handy.

To answer your question, there are many here old enough to remember before mobile phones and we managed to get by just fine.

It is a luxury and not a necessity

Will the phone turn on fully without a SIM in it? Seem to recall a few times the phone hanging saying NO SIM. Anyhow, internet banking and even logging onto Google and Yahoo is using 2 step verification  involves an SMS. And there are quite a few WI-Fi dead spots that will catch you out... and some very unsecure Wi-Fi spots. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

So you're never gonna go outwith walking distance from you're condo in central Pattaya?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

As scuba said, it's a security risk, and a BIG one.

All it takes is for someone on the network to run wireshark or similar, and they can see what you are doing.

Also, it's nothing for someone to set up "Bodega Bar Free WiFi" and use the same password as the Bodega Bar's actual WiFi and sit back a wait.  They get everything because they are now the Bodega Bar's WiFi hotspot for you.. 

Someone can have one beer in Bodega Bar, ask for the password, then go back to their room nearby and hack.  Same with Irish Rovers.  Who knows what the guy staying upstairs is doing on their network, or the guy at the end of the bar with a laptop.

With so many bars in close proximity, a hacker can have one beer in 10 different bars, get the WiFi passwords in each bar, and then sit in his room hacking away or injecting ransomware or bringing up phishing websites, including a banking website, or even mirroring the device.    

For banking, you should be using your own network with a strong password, or cellular data through the sim card.

Plenty on the net about it.

This experiment netted 93 people who should know better, in just 2 days, at a tech conference.

It seems the word "Free" is too hard for many to resist.  ????  

You can take precautions yes but you're never safe online - fact.

3 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

So you're never gonna go outwith walking distance from you're condo in central Pattaya?

Not read the whole thread HBH? 

14 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

I've answered my own question, don't need a Sim in Pattaya (I'll get one when I travel north)

Up to the Op but depends how long he is going to stay here. Sounds more like cutting off your nose to spite your face if you are going to get one anyway.

Presume Line is linked to your home number otherwise I would have thought that an issue?

16 hours ago, Lacessit said:

My son introduced me to a video conferencing tool called Duo, works better than LINE or Skype, no SIM card required.

It might be good but it is not better than Skype.

Skype can call landlines and mobiles for instance.

• Like 1

Geez, the rubbish I come up after 12 beers. Some really good points on why to get a Sim.

Last time I was here I went to River Kwai using only trains and local bus. The Google maps was my lifesaver as it is what told me what stops to get off at. So as I plan to travel alot this year I went ahead and got a dtac Sim.

Unlimited data at 20Mbps, which seems significantly faster than my condo and bar wifi. They tried to deny me the 'local' package as I only have exempt entry but after showing my Thai bank book she gave it to me. 399 baht paid up to 23 March. Nothing really, but I wouldn't have bothered with a tourist Sim package

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Like 1