PCR test required for returning Thais?

paddlinsteve

Yes, your wife needs a negative PCR test result.

https://tp.consular.go.th/en/plan

Unfortunately, the file you've linked to just deals with matters post arrival in LOS. It has to do with the suspension of Test ;n;; Go and the need for two vaccine shots while in 7-day quarantine. My wife knows about that and it's unavoidable. However, what about prior to boarding the plane leaving the U.S.? Will she need to show a negative result of a PCR inside 72 hours of departure (as I had to do when I left the States at the end of November)? I haven't found a consistent answer so far.

I just called American Airlines office in Bangkok and asked them whether the wife would need to be tested or not before flying. After quite a wait while they (apparently) searched various notices and lists for an answer, they replied that my wife would indeed need to show a negative PCR test result before being allowed to board a flight to first Tokyo and then Bangkok.

If anyone has information contrary to this, I would be glad to hear it!

ubonjoe: could you perhaps shed some light on this problem of whether returning Thais need to show a negative PCR test result to board an aircraft bound for Thailand? I just can't find overwhelming proof that it's either necessary or a waste of time and money. Incidentally, my wife has received two Moderna injections, if that matters. Also, her Thailand Pass has been approved for this trip. Thanks!

So I work the United & Delta contracts at my station. This is what I got when i pulled up the entry requirements off Timatic our internal United system;

Passport

Passport required.

Passport Exemptions:

Nationals of Thailand with a Certificate of Identity.

Nationals of Thailand with a temporary passport.

Document Validity:

Nationals of Thailand are allowed to enter with an expired passport.

When nationals of Thailand travel with a Certificate of Identity or a temporary passport, it must be valid on arrival.

Warning:

Passengers must have a Thailand Pass QR code obtained at https://tp.consular.go.th4b66ce5d2cb18a5140bc79b13c886521.svg

Passengers entering Thailand must have a negative COVID-19 RT-PCR test result issued at most 72 hours before departure from the first embarkation point. The test result must be in English or Thai.
This does not apply to nationals of Thailand traveling under the Alternative Quarantine (AQ) scheme.

This does not apply to passengers younger than 6 years traveling with a parent/guardian.

This does not apply to passengers with a positive COVID-19 RT-PCR test result issued at most 72 hours before departure from the first embarkation point, and a COVID-19 recovery certificate issued at least 15 days and at most 3 months before arrival.

Passengers entering Thailand must have a COVID-19 vaccination certificate showing that they were fully vaccinated with AstraZeneca (Vaxzevria), Covaxin, Covishield, Janssen, Moderna (Spikevax), Pfizer-BioNTech (Comirnaty), Sinopharm, Sinovac or Sputnik V at least 14 days before departure.
This does not apply to passengers traveling under the Alternative Quarantine (AQ) scheme.

This does not apply to passengers younger than 12 years.

This does not apply to passengers younger than 18 years traveling under the Sandbox program with their fully-vaccinated parents/guardians.

This does not apply to passengers between 12 and 17 years with a COVID-19 vaccination certificate showing that they received one dose of AstraZeneca (Vaxzevria), Covaxin, Covishield, Janssen, Moderna (Spikevax), Pfizer-BioNTech (Comirnaty), Sinopharm, Sinovac or Sputnik V.

This does not apply to passengers with a recovery certificate and a COVID-19 vaccination certificate showing that they received at least one dose of AstraZeneca (Vaxzevria), Covaxin, Covishield, Janssen, Moderna (Spikevax), Pfizer-BioNTech (Comirnaty), Sinopharm, Sinovac or Sputnik V at least 14 days before departure.

Passengers traveling under the Test & Go scheme must:
- arrive from, or in the past 21 days have only been in Australia, Austria, Bahrain, Belgium, Bhutan, Brunei Darussalam, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Canada, Chile, China (People's Rep.), Croatia, Cyprus, Czechia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong (SAR China), Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland (Rep.), Israel, Italy, Japan, Korea (Rep.), Kuwait, Lao People's Dem. Rep., Latvia, Lithuania, Malaysia, Maldives, Malta, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Oman, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sweden, Switzerland, USA, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom or Viet Nam; and
- have a hotel reservation for 1 night at AQ, OQ, or SHA+ hotel obtained at www.thailandsha.com4b66ce5d2cb18a5140bc79b13c886521.svgor https://asq.in.th4b66ce5d2cb18a5140bc79b13c886521.svg

Passengers traveling under the Sandbox Program scheme must:
- arrive at Phuket (HKT) or Ko Samui (USM); and
- have a hotel reservation for 7 nights at SHA+ hotel obtained at www.thailandsha.com4b66ce5d2cb18a5140bc79b13c886521.svgand proof of payment for COVID-19 tests. They are subject to quarantine for 7 days.

Passengers traveling under the Alternative Quarantine (AQ) scheme must have proof of payment for COVID-19 tests; and
- a hotel reservation at AQ, OQ or AHQ hotel obtained at www.thailandsha.com4b66ce5d2cb18a5140bc79b13c886521.svgand https://asq.in.th4b66ce5d2cb18a5140bc79b13c886521.svg:
- for 7 nights if they were fully vaccinated with AstraZeneca (Vaxzevria), Covaxin, Covishield, Janssen, Moderna (Spikevax), Pfizer-BioNTech (Comirnaty), Sinopharm, Sinovac or Sputnik V at least 14 days before departure; or
- for 10 nights if they are not fully vaccinated.

Health

Exempt from Yellow Fever vaccination:

Children under 1 year of age.

Passengers transiting countries with risk of yellow fever transmission if not disembarking the plane during transit.

Recommended:

Malaria prophylaxis: malaria risk exists throughout the year in rural, especially forested and hilly areas of the country mainly towards the international borders, including the southernmost provinces. There is no risk in cities (e.g. Bangkok, Chiang Mai city, Pattaya), urban areas, Samui island and the main tourist resorts of Phuket island. However, there is a risk in some other areas and islands. P. falciparum resistant to mefloquine and to quinine reported from areas near the borders with Cambodia and Myanmar. Artemisinin resistance reported near the border with Myanmar. P. vivax resistance to chloroquine reported. Human P. knowlesi infection reported. Recommended prevention in risk areas: A ; in areas near Cambodia and Myanmar borders: C .

The WHO recommended type of prevention is referred to as:
- Type A (very limited risk of malaria transmission) - Mosquito bite prevention only.
- Type B (risk of non-falciparum malaria) - Mosquito-bite prevention plus chloroquine or doxycycline or atovaquone-proguanil or mefloquine chemoprophylaxis.
- Type C (risk of P. falciparum malaria) - Mosquito-bite prevention plus atovaquone-proguanil or doxycycline or mefloquine chemoprophylaxis.
Chemoprophylaxis should be started preferably one week before departure and no later than the first day of exposure; it must be taken with unfailing regularity and continued for 4 weeks after the last exposure. No prophylactic regimen is 100% protective against infection, but even if it fails to prevent the disease it may, nevertheless, render the infection milder and less life threatening.

2 hours ago, paddlinsteve said:

I just called American Airlines office in Bangkok and asked them whether the wife would need to be tested or not before flying. After quite a wait while they (apparently) searched various notices and lists for an answer, they replied that my wife would indeed need to show a negative PCR test result before being allowed to board a flight to first Tokyo and then Bangkok.

If anyone has information contrary to this, I would be glad to hear it!

No, this is 100% correct.

I just left BKK to Narita to LAX on the 9th of January and I needed the exact same thing.

However she needs to test 24 hours or less before departure from BKK.

This is very important.

Edited by PoodThaiMaiDai

10 hours ago, PoodThaiMaiDai said:

No, this is 100% correct.

I just left BKK to Narita to LAX on the 9th of January and I needed the exact same thing.

However she needs to test 24 hours or less before departure from BKK.

This is very important.

Isn't this topic about flying to Bangkok?

• Haha 1

We flew in on JAL about a week ago.  Test and Go. My wife needed the test, if not for Thailand, for sure to fly JAL If I were you "Just do it!"

I just wanted to add, do it early as some of the labs are backed up due to weather and the increased number of people getting tested. It can be nerve racking. We got out test 71 3/4 hr before the flight. We got the notice that the test arrived at the lab 30 hrs later. The small print says you get  results 24 to 48 hrs after the test is RECEIVED by the lab. Notified that the sample went in for testing 46 hrs after we took it. Got the results about 18 hrs before the flight. I had checked on the testing at the airport that claimed to get results back in as little as 1 hr at $250 a pop. They claim to be able to do 500 a day----they were already backed up 3 days after my flight date.

Edited by bunnydrops
addition

"Clarity" has come at last. With my wife's Thailand Pass QR code came these notes adding some amplification of the policies, but ultimately just allowing more uncertainty: We've decided to go ahead and splash out for the PCF test, not just because Thai authorities might insist on it, but also as she's passing through Tokyo on the way, the Japanese are tightening their borders as well.

Dear Mrs. XXXX
Thailand Pass system has approved your registration. You can access and download your Thailand Pass QR Code by double clicking the attached PDF
cleardot.gif
Travelling to Thailand
  1. 1. Please prepare your documents to present at the check-in counter and to the agencies concerned when arriving in Thailand. The documents are as follows
    1. 1.1 Passport with visa (if required)
    2. 1.2 Thailand Pass QR Code (on mobile device or printed copy)
    3. 1.3 Medical certificate with a laboratory result indicating that COVID-19 is not detected through RT-PCR test (issued within 72 hours before departure). If the Port Health and Quarantine at airports in Thailand discover that you have invalidated COVID-19 RT-PCR test result or if the type of the test is not RT-PCR method, you will not be eligible to be exempted from quarantine, but you may be allowed to enter Thailand by quarantine only.
  2. 2. When arriving in Thailand, please present your documents and Thailand Pass QR Code to the immigration and disease control officers.
Remarks: if your airline requires additional documents, kindly prepare the additional required documents, or you may be denied boarding.
* This email is automatically generated. Please do not reply. *