Covid testing outside Tree Town

grain

I saw this on YT last night, in one of those walk-around-town videos. Thais in full PPE set up outside Tree Town. So I'm just curious how it works. I presume to enter TT you need to give an on-the-spot neg rapid test. I also presume they would be documenting individual details, so you'd need to carry your passport. So what happens if you test positive? Do they grab you there and then and take you away? Do they allow you to go back to your hotel and gather your belongings before being locked up for 2 weeks? What if you test positive and tried to walk away, would they grab you in a half nelson? And are many establishments in Pattaya doing these mandatory tests at the doors?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, grain said:

I presume to enter TT you need to give an on-the-spot neg rapid test.

At the time I was there it was enforced loosely and inconsistent (one live music place needed, the other more stuffed didn't). And not needed for "open air", food court.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

First: on live videos from yesterday I didn't see them testing.

But only a local poster can confirm.

I watched the vid last night but it may have been shot a day or 2 or 3 earlier. I was just surprised when the video went past TT there were a dozen or more in full PPE and tables set up and I saw them poking around up one guy's snout. I also noticed there were sections cordoned off with tape, like the cops do at crime scenes. 

52 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

It is a crime scene........It a crime that they think this horse and pony show is accomplishing anything...And it's a crime the hell they put asymptomatic people through....

Because asymptomatic people don't spread the virus? 

The only stupid thing from the authorities is not allowing those who can to self-isolate at home.  Do that and it would encourage the more sensible to test regularly. 

Some, of course, will continue to deny there is any problem, and go "blah, blah, blah" when shown evidence otherwise - like part of the UK and USA health systems becoming overwhelmed.  It is a little bit of a shame that Darwin's Law will be unlikely to help.

PH

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, grain said:

I watched the vid last night but it may have been shot a day or 2 or 3 earlier. I was just surprised when the video went past TT there were a dozen or more in full PPE and tables set up and I saw them poking around up one guy's snout. I also noticed there were sections cordoned off with tape, like the cops do at crime scenes. 

Might have been shot even earlier as I passed through about 10 days ago and there was no longer any sign of the testers? Perhaps someone local can confirm?

You’ve got to laugh at the amount and type of PPE they wear though? Mind you there were quite a few travelers dressed exactly the same at the airport on the way home?

5 hours ago, Phulublub said:

Because asymptomatic people don't spread the virus? 

The only stupid thing from the authorities is not allowing those who can to self-isolate at home.  Do that and it would encourage the more sensible to test regularly. 

Some, of course, will continue to deny there is any problem, and go "blah, blah, blah" when shown evidence otherwise - like part of the UK and USA health systems becoming overwhelmed.  It is a little bit of a shame that Darwin's Law will be unlikely to help.

PH

Parts of Aus starting to feel the impact of omicron as well 

2 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

Been all over Pattaya bars and have yet to be asked for an ATK test or result. Most seem to accept the green temp sense reading. If they do ask for ATK, I'll just move on to next bar

You'll be asked to take the test at Party Bar Soi Buakhao. 

Cost 

50 baht for the test 

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

At the time I was there it was enforced loosely and inconsistent (one live music place needed, the other more stuffed didn't). And not needed for "open air", food court.

Come on, come clean.

You had a few beers and the hot chick on your arm insisted........... ????

It was the choice of an ATK or being flung back into the Soi Buakhao sausage fest.

Edited by sungod

1 hour ago, jimn said:

Not there any more. Some bars requiring an ATK test, especially on Soi Baukeau. The area and Tree Town very quiet now after the madness of Christmas and the New Year.

Even quieter today...all bars (sorry, restaurants) shut for two days.

PH

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, redwood1 said:

It is a crime scene........It a crime that they think this horse and pony show is accomplishing anything...And it's a crime the hell they put asymptomatic people through....

So are these test obligatory to enter Treeetown, or simply a testing facility made available to any who wish to avail themselves of? I have gone in to eat in restaurants neat there and have certainly NOT been required to test or show proof..... I think a lot of people are making up bogey man scenarios. 

21 hours ago, grain said:

You do realise you are on a forum and not texting on your smartphone. What does PPE stand for?

3 hours ago, Hanuman2547 said:

Yes, I wouldn't take the chance of testing positive.  I would just go elsewhere.  

What a self-centred, blinkered and selfish attitude.  Why not test at home and, if positive, self isolate for a few days? 

If we all do that then everywhere can stay open, with much reduced risk of spread, much reduced risk of serious illness for those whose immune systems are compromised through diabetes/lung damage/infirmity generally and much reduced risk of infection, and enforced time off work (with no income) for staff.

PH

9 hours ago, couchpotato said:

Not slang mate...known worldwide it is 'Personal Protection Equipment'

Mind boggling to think we are in the 3rd year of a global pandemic that gets reported on 24/7 on every TV station on the planet, and there is someone who has never heard of PPE. 

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, grain said:

Mind boggling to think we are in the 3rd year of a global pandemic that gets reported on 24/7 on every TV station on the planet, and there is someone who has never heard of PPE. 

In the deserts of Sudan
And the gardens of Japan
From Milan to Yucatan.... not everyone uses English.....

• Like 1