Is LOS the most corrupt in Asia?

DrJoy

Corruption in one form or another is part of the human condition. 

In my country of origin it takes different forms but is corruption nonetheless. I love it when folks talk about Asians races (other than white ones most often) when discussing corruption, and those Thai government officials are just so darn corrupt and contemptible, when at the same time our nations governments, our shining western (superior nations?) are habituated in grifting, and enslaving their own peoples. No different to Thai's. Same horses just a different hue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tropposurfer said:

Corruption in one form or another is part of the human condition. 

In my country of origin it takes different forms but is corruption nonetheless. I love it when folks talk about Asians races (other than white ones most often) when discussing corruption, and those Thai government officials are just so darn corrupt and contemptible, when at the same time our nations governments, our shining western (superior nations?) are habituated in grifting, and enslaving their own peoples. No different to Thai's. Same horses just a different hue.

Good points.  Easy to look at poor countries and assume corruption while giving a pass to richer countries.  As an American, I can see my previous President using his office to line his pocket and still lying to his supporters to raise money.  What level of corruption is that?

Another way to measure would be "How does corruption impact my life?"  In Thailand, not so much.  But yes, getting rid of corruption would certainly improve the lives of ordinary citizens....in Thailand and every country on Earth.    

During NCPO Prayut's regime 2014-2017 he has used Article 44 to override anti-corruption laws in government contracts such with infrastructure projects.

Though now as an "elected" PM* he doesn't have that power, his appetite has been "wetted" as he continues to control the government, parliament and state-owned enterprises in a fashion similar to NCPO PM Prayut.

So in terms of "Asia," I'd say Thailand can be perceived as the Land of Sophistication concerning corruption similar to China. The other countries in Asia mentioned as corrupt are just blatant in their corruption, no nuance required.

* due solely to an NCPO appointed Senate.

11 hours ago, TropicalGuy said:

Could start with numbers of conscience prisoners jailed for speech alone, then numbers detained without charges or trial, number of bloggers or journalists arrested or executed, proper democracy in place or not, then look at numbers & methods of execution, disappeared families, etc . Plenty of Hard Measures rather than Perceptions. Places like Iran, N. Korea & China would score solid Zeros. Thailand would still score much higher in comparison as their corruption is rarely murderous although they do shoot unarmed civilians …..and disappear dissidents on occasion. 

I think your talking more about human rights than corruption

26 minutes ago, Smithson said:

I think your talking more about human rights than corruption

Highest form of corruption. all govt. institutions (except Health) in Thailand are entirely corrupt. Immigration & Police corruption, convenient in fact to bypass financials & bs, been done to death.

Imm System here is a marvel of corruption in that one rule is ….there are no rules which cannot be set aside. Hence Agent process to monetize Imm.

18 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

It depends how you measure  corruption.

For petty corruption Thai is high but for world beating corruption the UK is very high

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/dec/10/britain-global-corruption-liz-truss-democracy

Maybe the difference is that politicians in the UK are usually highly educated people with university degrees and have the brains to hide a lot of corruption, where here in Thailand, the soldiers running the country have no more brains than the average Thai in the street, and how it shows.

18 hours ago, McTavish said:

Corruption in Asia?   Compared to what, Russia, China or USA ... lol, most of Asia hasn't yet embraced western methods.

Next election may see Thailand move closer to corruption obscurity.

Election???? What next election?? The unelected soldier posing as a PM does not need an  election, he has soldiers with guns.

The other Chuckle Brother is waiting for the chance to be PM, and it does not take much savvy to know that the Thai electorate will certainly not vote for him.

So again I ask "what next election"?

Edited by possum1931

19 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

Have you live in every asian country? Dont know how officially count level of corruption but in daily life what shown ,Thailand is much more corrupted than Philippines! LIke if you DUI in Phil you cant just pay police and continue driving!

On the other hand trying to secure the forms necessary to apply for a passport or a driving license is an expensive nightmare in PH.

It takes two, to tango!

We can talk about the "corrupt" all day, but what about the corruptors? Without them, 

there would be no corrupt ones.

The reason third world countries are fingered as being highly corrupt is blindingly

obvious. In countries where so many live on the poverty borderline, falling sway to temptations 

such as bribery is second nature. It is easy, therefore, to overlook such venality, if one were

in that person's shoes.

In first-word countries, the forms of corruption and the sums involved, the "prizes" if you will, are correspondingly greater, and the "corrupted" suddenly become equally  as weak.

On a tangential note, African countries can teach Asian countries a whole lot about corruption.

It is expected, carried on utterly blatantly, almost like one of the perks of the job, and done with

a smile. South Africa, from State Presidents on down the pecking order, is one such egregious example.

On 1/19/2022 at 11:19 AM, TropicalGuy said:

Highest form of corruption. all govt. institutions (except Health) in Thailand are entirely corrupt. 

... although in the Joe Ferrari case, it's known that the local hospital obliged the police in their initial death certificate. 

52 minutes ago, law ling said:

... although in the Joe Ferrari case, it's known that the local hospital obliged the police in their initial death certificate. 

Did imply Health here not “entirely” corrupt ????

certainly they will bow to Interior Ministry or Top Police wishes !

and Thai medical Insurers are very corrupt in denying  big claims…????