Change Extension (Based on Family/Marriage to Work)?

Can I change my extension from one based on family to one based on work? Without leaving country to start a new visa?

I did this before (from work to family) without leaving country, but I dunno if they just let me do this cos the country was locked due to covid.

But now I would like to switch back to an extension based on work.

Is it possible?

You can change the reason for your extension of stay from marriage to one based upon working for a company without needing to leave the country.

You can get a work permit and work with a extension based upon marriage. It is even possible to use the income from working to meet the 40k baht income requirement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And is it just the regular documents required for a normal work extension?

(i.e. school's docs, our contract, my passport copies, work permit, and teaching license, and my educational certs)?

Nothing unusual or additional?

Example from immigration website:

In the case of study in a private educational institution:

Criteria for Consideration:

1. The alien must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (NON-IM).

2. Said educational institution is permitted to operate by a relevant government agency.

The alien must have been confirmed and requested by that particular educational institution.

3. The alien must have been confirmed and requested by that particular educational institution.

4. The alien must have been confirmed by the relevant government agency

Documents to be submitted:

1. Application form

2. Copy of applicant’s passport

3. Copy of evidence of permission to establish the educational institution issued by the relevant

government agency

4. Letter of confirmation and request for a temporary stay, issued by the educational institution

5. Confirmation letter issued by a government agency 

23 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You can change the reason for your extension of stay from marriage to one based upon working for a company without needing to leave the country.

You can get a work permit and work with a extension based upon marriage. It is even possible to use the income from working to meet the 40k baht income requirement.

I suppose they require to see 12 months of bank statements with this income already?

Or the employment contract stating what will be earned?

32 minutes ago, 2009 said:

I suppose they require to see 12 months of bank statements with this income already?

If working the want proof of tax payments for the extension. For the first extension it is normally 2 or 3 months of income proof if working.

42 minutes ago, 2009 said:

And is it just the regular documents required for a normal work extension?

It can depend upon the office where you apply for the extension.

The info on the immigration website is just basic requirements.

Most will also want proof you qualified to be a teacher by showing degrees and etc.

• 1 month later...

Is it possible to extend for 60 days (for current reason of family) before I make the switch to a one year extension based on work?

And for a 60 day family extension (if possible), do you need to show finances?

15 minutes ago, 2009 said:

Is it possible to extend for 60 days (for current reason of family) before I make the switch to a one year extension based on work?

You can apply for the 60 day extension if you have not had one since your last entry to the country with a visa and then apply for the new type of extension.

16 minutes ago, 2009 said:

And for a 60 day family extension (if possible), do you need to show finances?

No

21 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You can apply for the 60 day extension if you have not had one since your last entry to the country with a visa and then apply for the new type of extension.

No

Thank you

Yeah, I have never done a 60 day extension, plenty of one year extensions though.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a strange problem on this topic.

I actually tried to do this today in Bangkok. I tried to do an extension based on work (previous extensions were based on child, done at an immigration office in another province).

The officer said that in addition to all my work documents (which are correct), they also need me to bring my child's ID card & birth certificate and also my bank statements for a whole year (actually 15 months cos they want to see the financials I used to do my extension based on child at the other province).

So weird, right? I went to change my extension to work and they are holding me on the financial requirement for a family extension which shouldn't even come in to it for a work extension. I can't get my head around it. Any ideas why this would be?

I mean, I have over 40k coming in from my work, so it shouldn't be a problem -- hopefully.

Edited by FruitPudding

12 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

I have a strange problem on this topic.

I actually tried to do this today in Bangkok. I tried to do an extension based on work (previous extensions were based on child, done at an immigration office in another province).

The officer said that in addition to all my work documents (which are correct), they also need me to bring my child's ID card & birth certificate and also my bank statements for a whole year (actually 15 months cos they want to see the financials I used to do my extension based on child at the other province).

So weird, right? I went to change my extension to work and they are holding me on the financial requirement for a family extension which shouldn't even come in to it for a work extension. I can't get my head around it. Any ideas why this would be?

I mean, I have over 40k coming in from my work, so it shouldn't be a problem -- hopefully.

Normally, you would enter the country on a Non-B visa. During the life of that visa, you would apply for your work permit. Once you have the work permit, your visa will expire and you will extend your stay based on the work permit.

However, in your case, you are on an existing extension for family. This extension, I believe, allows you to apply for a work permit. Then, once your work permit is obtained, and your family extension is expired (or you cancel the extension), you would renew your extension based on the work permit. I can only assume that their interest in your financials boils down to verifying that you have met the requirements for the existing extension, before allowing the change to the new extension.

7 minutes ago, timendres said:

I can only assume that their interest in your financials boils down to verifying that you have met the requirements for the existing extension, before allowing the change to the new extension.

I don't get this logic though.

Suppose I got a job that paid less than 40k a month; I wouldn't satisfy the requirements for the family extension, but wouldn't they still allow me to do an extension based on work?

3 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

Suppose I got a job that paid less than 40k a month; I wouldn't satisfy the requirements for the family extension, but wouldn't they still allow me to do an extension based on work?

There is no minimum salary requirements for teachers. So if a school hires you at 20,000 thb a month, you can get an extension of stay based on WP

5 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

For Family/Thai wife extension, you can use 400,000/- baht in the account method

15 minutes ago, DrJoy said:

There is no minimum salary requirements for teachers. So if a school hires you at 20,000 thb a month, you can get an extension of stay based on WP

Exactly, I thought I was asking them to change me to that kind of extension.

Even though my salary does meet the requirements to remain on the family extension, I'd just rather be on a regular work extension cos it makes everything simpler and less stressful (without involving my family) by just doing it through the school.

Edited by FruitPudding

20 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

They are not looking forward, they are looking back. They are trying to determine if you met the requirements for the current extension that you are trying to change.

For example, if I was on a retirement extension, that required my bank account to never fall below 400,000 THB during the entire previous year, then I went for a new extension and they saw that my balance fell to 200,000 THB, then they would not allow me to file for a new extension, regardless of whether or not I had the required 800,000 THB balance at the time I tried to extend. Because I did not meet all of the requirements for the existing extension.

49 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

What method  for financial proof did you use to apply for your current extension. I think they suspect that you used an agent to do the extension. 

49 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

Were you working with a work for the past year?

26 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

What method  for financial proof did you use to apply for your current extension. I think they suspect that you used an agent to do the extension. 

Were you working with a work for the past year?

The extension I am on now: I used 400,000 that I had sitting in the bank at the time last year.

Now, for financial proof, I can show over 40k monthly income which I have earned with a work permit for over a year now.

Edited by FruitPudding

2 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

The extension I am on now: I used 400,000 that I had sitting in the bank at the time last year.

You can use proof of that if needed.

3 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

Now, for financial proof, I can show over 40k monthly income which I have earned with a work permit for over a year now.

You can use that to apply for your extension based upon being the parent of a Thai. You will need to show your tax return you filed for last year and proof you have paid taxes on it this year.,

You do not have to change to a extension based upon working.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You can use proof of that if needed.

You can use that to apply for your extension based upon being the parent of a Thai. You will need to show your tax return you filed for last year and proof you have paid taxes on it this year.,

You do not have to change to a extension based upon working.

The 400,000 lump sum, I don't have anymore, so I would need to use my salary.

I would just prefer to be on a work visa (it's just my preference) as it is far less hassle than lugging my young family and complaining GF to immigration; always a stressful time.

I thought it would be straight forward to switch.

12 hours ago, FruitPudding said:

he 400,000 lump sum, I don't have anymore, so I would need to use my salary.

The 400k baht in the bank for last year when you applied for the extension if they want to see your bank book to prove it. Not for this year.

12 hours ago, FruitPudding said:

I would just prefer to be on a work visa (it's just my preference) as it is far less hassle than lugging my young family and complaining GF to immigration; always a stressful time.

If you are from a western country you will need to prove a income of at least 50k baht to apply for a extension based upon working. See number one here. https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/visa-extension/

image.png.4ff9c6f66af88c6566fbfead873ab5a0.png

11 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The 400k baht in the bank for last year when you applied for the extension if they want to see your bank book to prove it. Not for this year.

If you are from a western country you will need to prove a income of at least 50k baht to apply for a extension based upon working. See number one here. https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/visa-extension/

image.png.4ff9c6f66af88c6566fbfead873ab5a0.png

Oh, I always thought it was 40k a month if you are working in Thailand I often saw that figure on here.

11 hours ago, FruitPudding said:

Oh, I always thought it was 40k a month if you are working in Thailand I often saw that figure on here.

The 40k baht is only for an extension based upon marriage to a Thai or for being the parent of a Thai.

This is the line in clause 2.1  of the immigration order referenced above on the list of required salaries.

"(2) The alien must earn an income per the attached Table of Income (Annex A)."

A general list of requirements for the extension is number 1 here. https://www.immigration.go.th/en/?page_id=1890

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

The 40k baht is only for an extension based upon marriage to a Thai or for being the parent of a Thai.

This is the line in clause 2.1  of the immigration order referenced above on the list of required salaries.

"(2) The alien must earn an income per the attached Table of Income (Annex A)."

A general list of requirements for the extension is number 1 here. https://www.immigration.go.th/en/?page_id=1890

Sorry, I don't understand this now. So, what's the 50k for? Sorry, if I have missed something. 

I am a parent of a Thai. Currently, on an extension based on that. So, if my understanding is correct, I could extend that using my 40k income (which I have had legally for over a year)? 

I was just looking to switch to a work extension cos it is easier than taking my family over to immigration n all that. I just got confused when they started asking for my finances cos I have done work extensions in the past and finance doesn't come into it.

Thanks for your help.

36 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

So, what's the 50k for?

It is the minimum salary to apply for a extension of stay based upon working for a company.

36 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

I am a parent of a Thai. Currently, on an extension based on that. So, if my understanding is correct, I could extend that using my 40k income (which I have had legally for over a year)? 

You can use your 40k baht income to apply for a extension of stay based upon being the parent of a Thai.

It is the minimum salary to apply for a extension of stay based upon working for a company.

Thank you so much for your insight.

I am still a bit confused about this 50k for working cos previously I made extensions for work and I was only earning 35k; immigration weren't interested in my salary. Is this a different type of visa extension?

10 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

I am still a bit confused about this 50k for working cos previously I made extensions for work and I was only earning 35k; immigration weren't interested in my salary. Is this a different type of visa extension?

If teaching there is no minimum salary requirements and it is under a different clause of the immigration order.

If working for a company the minimum salary is determined by your nationality shown on annex a of the immigration order that I posted earlier.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Hypothetical question:

Suppose you wanted to switch back again (from an extension of stay based on work to an extension based on family).

Could you make that switch and just get a 60 extension to begin with (based on family), rather than going straight for the one year extension right away?

The reason I ask is because to my knowledge the 60 day family extension doesn't require proof of funds in the bank, but the one year extension does, right?

1 hour ago, 2009 said:

Suppose you wanted to switch back again (from an extension of stay based on work to an extension based on family).

Could you make that switch and just get a 60 extension to begin with (based on family), rather than going straight for the one year extension right away?

The reason I ask is because to my knowledge the 60 day family extension doesn't require proof of funds in the bank, but the one year extension does, right?

You could change your extension of stay to one based upon marriage or being the parent of a Thai.

You could first apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife or child that does not require financial proof.

• Like 1

You could change your extension of stay to one based upon marriage or being the parent of a Thai.

You could first apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife or child that does not require financial proof.

I am currently on an extension based on work.

My question is: if I wanted to change back again to an extension based on being parent of a Thai child, could I make the change to a 60 day family extension first? 

Then, later extend it for a year with financial proof.

Thank you ????