Drive while on overstay

You’re asking for opinions....  You’re better off asking for fact. 

Has anyone ever been stopped by the police at a regular highway check point and asked for their passport ?

That answer would be no...   every highway check point I’ve come across I simply get waved through (whether alone or with family or friends). 

That said, I have been stopped at check-points in Bangkok: Wife Driving (DUI check) or a in a Taxi at what appeared to be a ‘shake-down’ (never amounted to anything).

I dont think there are police check points on the way. If there are they will only want to see your thai or international driving license. They MIGHT ask your passports if you dont have license. But probably they have no idea about visa and that details. Also they probably only want to see where you are from. just act natural and friendly, thats all. 

7 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Travelling to Issan I often, as a passenger  get asked to show my passport. Always friendly and cursory. My driver  is Thai

So they ask for your passport. Take a look at the id page or even at the visa? Thank you.

in the border area in trat (just before turning to koh chang) there is a permanent check point. On top of checking my DL they have also asked to see passports of all passengers. That was once in a very many times.

On minivan to aranyaprathet there is also permanent check point and checking all passengers passports.

Once I was asked at bangkok terminal of mahachai train line, I have explained I left it at hotel. They were checking IDs for all on the platform, possibly looking for illegal cambodians. They were local station cops, not immi

4 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Show to who?

I don't believe this.

4 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Nonsense.

it is true. Whenever they stopped me in Isaan area the first ask my driver license and then passport. They only look where i am from thats all. 

4 hours ago, Tayida said:

So they ask for your passport. Take a look at the id page or even at the visa? Thank you.

They only look where i am from thats all. they look pages too but with empty eyes. They dont know that visa details. 

Edited by problemfarang

5 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

it is true. Whenever they stopped me in Isaan area the first ask my driver license and then passport. They only look where i am from thats all. 

Havent for a few months now but I used to drive up to Nakhon Ratchasima atleast once a month (Wife's girlfriend parents live there)..... always got stopped, never had a request for passport.

where in Isaan do they ask you ?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Havent for a few months now but I used to drive up to Nakhon Ratchasima atleast once a month (Wife's girlfriend parents live there)..... always got stopped, never had a request for passport.

where in Isaan do they ask you ?

well, normally im in khon kaen area. but i travelled isan lot for 10 years now. In bangkok last 6 years now. time to time still going to khon kaen area to check my empty house and other isan cities. Im pretty sure they will stop me for this or that reason as you mentiones. Tbh sometimes (especially like 10-12 years ago) they jsut smile ask me where i am from and let me go. But later they started to ask driver license they check it and then they ask my passport. they look at the first page and check other pages with empty eyes. and in seconds give me back all. there are times not asked passport but i would say 80% they asked my passport. I have no problem showing them. not bothers me at all.

Edited by problemfarang

5 hours ago, Ralf001 said:
12 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Travelling to Issan I often, as a passenger  get asked to show my passport. Always friendly and cursory. My driver  is Thai.

Nonsense.

This does seem to differ from the experience of many. Additionally, the comment has not offered any detail.

However, why would he [Hammer2021] just make this up ???...  If he’s been stopped regularly, then thats what has happened.

@Hammer2021:

- how many times have you been stopped ? 5 out 10 times???  

- did they ask for your passport every time ?

- did they look for your immigration status ?

Or, were you stopped once and they asked for ID (which in Thailand means they ask for Passport ?).

They aren't going to request a driver's license from other than the driver. If I understand correctly you, not your friend, would be the driver.

They might request passports of both of you - usually would not, but possible.

Odds are you won't be stopped if you drive carefully and observe all rules of the road and have a current tax sticker on your car. Just slow down at any checkpoints, make eye contact with the police with a mild, inquiring expression and (again assuming up to date tax sticker) in my experience you'll usually be waved through. Do not act visibly nervous or eager to not be stopped.

Don't even consider doing this in a car with expired tax sticker though. In my experience, except during times of specific political unrest, checkpoints are mainly looking to collect fines from people without up to date tax sticker (andm, i nthe case ofg checkpijts near a land border, to catch illegal migranst from neighboring countries).

If stopped odds are they won't ask for passenger's passport. And if they did, odds are they would not look at/understand  the permission to stay stamp.

Worst case  is within the realm of the possible.... but  very unlikely. And probably resolvable with explanation that he is on route to the airport (show the ticket out) plus cash.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I've lived in Khon Kaen for close to 20 years

I have lived and driven in Thailand for the same period and I have never been stopped at a checkpoint and asked to show my UK passport - only my Thai Driving License. So, from my experience your passenger should be okay but could be "famous last words" - I sincerely hope not!

20 hours ago, Denim said:

Are the trains not running to the airport now. Drop friend off at a railway station on the airport link and let him train in . Not yet heard of police boarding trains to

check passports.

Yo Demin you aren't an ex spy are you?  ... this sounds like serious 'trade craft' lol ????????

• Haha 1