Drive while on overstay

23 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Has anyone ever been stopped by the police at a regular highway check point and asked for their passport ?

That answer would be no...   every highway check point I’ve come across I simply get waved through (whether alone or with family or friends). 

you cant make a blanket statement like that!

I have been asked for my passport at a check point, granted it was only 1 time in 20+ years.

Told the cop I didn't have my passport with me, gave my license and away I went. 

I do agree that chances of being asked are very slim.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ericthai said:
On 1/21/2022 at 10:50 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Has anyone ever been stopped by the police at a regular highway check point and asked for their passport ?

That answer would be no...   every highway check point I’ve come across I simply get waved through (whether alone or with family or friends). 

you cant make a blanket statement like that!

I have been asked for my passport at a check point, granted it was only 1 time in 20+ years.

Told the cop I didn't have my passport with me, gave my license and away I went. 

I do agree that chances of being asked are very slim.

Don’t you understand difference between a ‘blanket statement’ and ‘a statement of personal experience’ ? 

The two are not the same.

I answered the question: ‘Has anyone every been stopped by the police at a regular highway check point and asked for their passport ?'

The answer provided was based on personal experience: 'every highway check point I’ve come across I simply get waved through (whether alone or with family or friends)’

Now... a blanket statement would be ’no one gets stopped and asked for their passport’ which would be untrue. Or, ‘few people get stopped and asked for their passport’ which may be closer to reality. 

Or, more specifically...’on the rare occasions a foreigner is stopped at a highway police check point, it is very unlikely but not a certainty that a request to present identification is made, it is even more unlikely that identification such as a driving licence is rejected and a Passport is requested’ 

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Don’t you understand difference between a ‘blanket statement’ and ‘a statement of personal experience’ ? 

The two are not the same.

I answered the question: ‘Has anyone every been stopped by the police at a regular highway check point and asked for their passport ?'

The answer provided was based on personal experience: 'every highway check point I’ve come across I simply get waved through (whether alone or with family or friends)’

Now... a blanket statement would be ’no one gets stopped and asked for their passport’ which would be untrue. Or, ‘few people get stopped and asked for their passport’ which may be closer to reality. 

Or, more specifically...’on the rare occasions a foreigner is stopped at a highway police check point, it is very unlikely but not a certainty that a request to present identification is made, it is even more unlikely that identification such as a driving licence is rejected and a Passport is requested’ 

You're changing what you said.   I quote you  

"Has anyone ever been stopped by the police at a regular highway check point and asked for their passport ?

That answer would be no..."

Sure you further stated your experience by saying

"every highway check point I’ve come across I simply get waved through (whether alone or with family or friends). "

but you still made a blanket statement with the use of "anyone" 

Like I said it's very unlikely and in all the years I was only asked once, but it can happen.

On 1/21/2022 at 7:50 AM, richard_smith237 said:

Same here, I've been through countless military and police checkpoints and never been asked to show a passport. Just roll down the windows as you're approaching so they can see everyone and everything inside, look at him square in the eye smile sawasdeekraab khopkhunkraab and drive on though. 

I've driven my car around NE provinces and to BKK many times in the past 2 years and hardly even seen any police and roadblocks, certainly nothing like there was pre-pandemic. I guess the cops also want to reduce their chances of catching covid and keep their contact with the public to a minimum. Anyway, in all my years driving in Thailand I've never been asked for my passport, only a driving license, and only when I had done something wrong (speeding & overtaking when I shouldn't) usually whenever I got to a roadblock the cops saw a farang and just waved me through.