Arrested for not wearing a mask in Phuket

tsk3009

1 hour ago, JayClay said:

So you accept that your original statement that "the opposite is advised - dont wear mask whilst driving" is correct?

I'm also not sure about your claim about motorcycles. I'm pretty sure that you're supposed to be wearing them but am willing to accept I don't know with 100% certainly.

Enforcement or not of any particular law isn't relevant in relation to your original claims.

My understanding is the same - it is a legal requirement to wear a mask whilst outdoors riding a motorbike.   But just like so many other laws here it is so ridiculous it is rarely enforced.   Since it is rarely enforced many people do not wear them and are surprised when they are stopped by the police for not doing so as they have seen so many others doing the same.   

• Thanks 1

I have a full face helmet....

I went to Phuket last week.  Had to show my vacinnation certificate at the checkpoint at Sarasin.  I didn't have a mask under my full face helmet.

No problems.  Wasn't RTP but some military...like...dudes...

When I asked him if they were military he said taharn tam ruat....(Military Police???)

Young guy.  Quite friendly to deal with.

22 minutes ago, James105 said:

Since it is rarely enforced many people do not wear them and are surprised when they are stopped by the police for not doing so as they have seen so many others doing the same.   

When they are stopped, does it typically result in a fine or arrest ?

11 hours ago, tsk3009 said:

I was arrested for not wearing a mask riding a motorbike in Phuket. Stay away!!

The laziness in this post points to a troll... the Op has left so many doors open and questions unanswered.... 

No one is arrested for mask wearing - the Op is exaggerating and over reacting.

He may have been stopped and fined for not wearing a mask - that happens. 

------------------

The rule is ‘masks must be work in all public areas’....  That means whenever out of your house (obviously unless eating and exercising). 

When riding a motorcycle - a mask must be work (according to the regs).

Thus, when wearing an open face helmet I wear a mask. 

When wearing a full face helmet I don’t. 

Reasons:

When wearing an open face helmet its easy to spot if I’m not wearing a mask. 

When I flip the face shield down I also pull the mask down to my chin as it causes the face shield to steam up. 

When wearing a full face helmet I don’t wear the mask as it causes the face shield to steam up. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Pique Dard said:
9 hours ago, Isaanlife said:

What in the world does wearing a COVID Mask have to do with a helmet?

Your guess is off the mark by a mile

if he was wearing a helmet, nobody would have noticed the absence of the mask. now i leave you the pleasure of qualifying your own comments

Hjälm BOLT A-613S Svart

The above post is just odd.....  

IF the op was wearing a helmet when it he was stopped. Then its likely it wasn’t a full face helmet.

7 hours ago, internationalism said:

no, wearing mask on motorbike is not compulsory. It's outright dangerous to do so, drivers lost their lives when mask moved into their eyes, blinding them.

You were stopped for speeding, not wearing helmet, braking road rules, but not for mask.

Yes in phuket it IS mandatory to wear a mask when on a motorbike and you can be fined and even blacklisted if caught without one. The phuket governor issued the mandate and rules well over a year ago now and as far as I know it is still in effect. I have seen thais who work in covid hospitals/ vaccination sites take photos of foreigners without masks and their motorbikes at stop lights many times while also giving them a lecturing!

If op continually refused to wear one, then maybe he was arrested....who knows.

Edited by theonetrueaussie
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, internationalism said:

no, wearing mask on motorbike is not compulsory. It's outright dangerous to do so, drivers lost their lives when mask moved into their eyes, blinding them.

You were stopped for speeding, not wearing helmet, braking road rules, but not for mask.

I put my mask below my nose when at speed for precisely this reason (pottering around town it stays where it should).  Yes, I'm not wearing it correctly.  Yes, I could be stopped.  I'll risk that rather than possibly impede my vision.

41 minutes ago, DefaultName said:

I put my mask below my nose when at speed for precisely this reason (pottering around town it stays where it should).  Yes, I'm not wearing it correctly.  Yes, I could be stopped.  I'll risk that rather than possibly impede my vision.

actually here it is compulsory..on a motorcycle.. ok if more than 1 person in a car mask must be worn...stupid i know I don't agree but i do it ..makes life a lot easier 

11 hours ago, Isaanlife said:

What in the world does wearing a COVID Mask have to do with a helmet?

Your guess is off the mark by a mile

both are mandatory thats what in the world they have to do with each other.  great work by the cops.  the thais wear masks but the entitled farang dont?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rwill said:

Maybe telling them you were not aware that you had to wear a mask on a motorbike, were sorry, and would wear one from now on would have worked better than telling them to F off.

I did take that approach, but the fourth time he told me to put on my mask and I told him I didn't have one on me, only in my hotel where I was going to, I started to get seriously perturbed. It was like he was asking the same handful of questions on repeat.

Edited by tsk3009
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, tsk3009 said:

I did take that approach, but the fourth time he told me to put on my mask and I told him I didn't have one on me, only in my hotel where I was going to, I started to get seriously perturbed. It was like he was asking the same handful of questions on repeat.

Well I hope things go alright for you at immigration.

Edited by rwill

30 minutes ago, robblok said:

Why did you not have a mask on you ? I mean when im on my bike i take a mask with me as in BKK you need one. In Phuket too. So a bit self inflicted. Plus even if they start to become annoying its still stupid to get aggressive like that. Thais hate curses.

I didn't want to carry one around and I was in a place where nobody was wearing them. I don't live here. It would never have crossed my mind that such a thing would be strictly enforced if at all, especially since transmission while riding seems highly unlikely.