Arrested for not wearing a mask in Phuket

tsk3009

18 hours ago, DefaultName said:

I put my mask below my nose when at speed for precisely this reason (pottering around town it stays where it should).  Yes, I'm not wearing it correctly.  Yes, I could be stopped.  I'll risk that rather than possibly impede my vision.

If you don't agree with any law and are of at least normal intelligence, then just break it.

13 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Where have you been living for the last couple of years, in a cave. 

You're in Thailand now, we have laws in place to protect the population. 

You need to comply. 

Idiotic laws made by idiotic people, most of them by people with a lower intelligence level than yourself. Soldiers, police etc. :cheesy:

13 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Where have you been living for the last couple of years, in a cave. 

You're in Thailand now, we have laws in place to protect the population. 

You need to comply. 

"we have laws in place to protect the population". :cheesy::cheesy:

11 hours ago, 2long said:

The OP is either trolling for attention, or if telling the truth he deserves what he gets.

'had a couple of beers, but had a clear head' and 'sprayed the f word around arresting cops' and 'having to be restrained by 5 cops' sounds like asking for trouble.

Can we close this thread now?

No!

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, tsk3009 said:

I did take that approach, but the fourth time he told me to put on my mask and I told him I didn't have one on me, only in my hotel where I was going to, I started to get seriously perturbed. It was like he was asking the same handful of questions on repeat.

So are you out on bail? Still in remand?

Were you really arrested?

53 minutes ago, tsk3009 said:

The full story was posted in a previous post. Receipt from Thai Court for those clamoring troll.

Regular troll here, no clamoring.

I searched for subsequent posts by you, missed those detailing your meltdown at the police station.

So you were stopped for not wearing a mask?

I see DUI now.

Ouch.

Hopefully immigration is forgiving.

Is your license to operate a vehicle or motorbike impacted by your incident?

Edited by mtls2005

58 minutes ago, PFMills said:

Regular troll, no.

I was commenting on my own troll status, silver, maybe gold?, and not the OPs.

He comes across as many things, but not a troll.

40 minutes ago, tsk3009 said:

I posted this story because what happened was nuts

Come on, you're being too hard on yourself. What you did wasn't nuts.

You just made every rookie/noob mistake possible.

FWIW, the time for dealing with police issues is at first contact, where decorum, respect, obsequiousness, deep waing/prostration (if you really effed up) are the order of the day. "Officer, the dog ate my mask." type excuses won't work for you here.

If you're neck deep wrasslin' policemen in the station it may be too late for an easy exit.

If you go in front of a judge you may want to put your temper in check, and definitely do not use the F word.

Edited by mtls2005

19 hours ago, tsk3009 said:

I was riding back to my hotel at 2 am this morning. The police did a routine stop. Asked me about why I didn't have a mask and all sorts of other questions repeatedly. I had a helmet on and was driving safely. I started getting frustrated and said how f$$^ing stupid it all was to detain me for riding a motorbike for this. I dropped the f bomb a handful of times, not name calling, just out of frustration over the whole stupid scenario, because people go out all the time in Patong with no mask, the bar street, etc. Afterwards, he said something to the effect of you say f$&& f$&$^ f&#^, I take you to the police station. So I roll in to the station and there a five cops there to greet me. I was super <deleted> off now. So I started taking pictures of the 5 cops at the station who arrested me for not wearing a mask. That <deleted> them off and all five of the cops tackled me to get my phone, literally assaulted me. One pushed my head down, other were grabbing at my limbs. My back still hurts a little but nothing too serious. I just tried to resist and not fight back. In the end, I was on the ground with five cops on me. They put cuffs super aggressively on me and marched me up the the upper floor cell which was dirty tiles and a squatter in the corner. So they decide I was drunk and I said I had had a beer or two that night but my mind was perfectly clear. On the fifth time they told me to blow into the breathalyzer, they apparently got a reading of 50, the lowest level of DUI here. So they charged me with not wearing a mask in public which carries a 500 baht fine and DUI of 3000 baht fine. Spent a day in court and pled guilty. I was advised by a friend that was the way to go. After court, they put me back in the cell for a couple hours, not sure why. Funny thing was, when we got back to the police station, I entered a room with 4 cops, two of them hurriedly put on their masks when I walked in. Then I was just released but told to come back Tuesday to go to immigration with the police officer. 

Thank you for at least being honest about your atrocious behaviour.

Even if you think someone is acting the fool; it's important to not be seen following their example.

You went above and beyond in this instance. It's important to always stay cool and avoid conflict....unless you want conflict. It appeared that you asked for it, in many ways.

Time for you to start apologising all round. Say that you were drunk and stupid and didn't know what you were thinking. Otherwise it's looks as if you might be leaving....as a "bad guy out".

You have a couple of days to take some action.

22 hours ago, tsk3009 said:

I was riding back to my hotel at 2 am this morning. The police did a routine stop. Asked me about why I didn't have a mask and all sorts of other questions repeatedly. I had a helmet on and was driving safely. I started getting frustrated and said how f$$^ing stupid it all was to detain me for riding a motorbike for this. I dropped the f bomb a handful of times, not name calling, just out of frustration over the whole stupid scenario, because people go out all the time in Patong with no mask, the bar street, etc. Afterwards, he said something to the effect of you say f$&& f$&$^ f&#^, I take you to the police station. So I roll in to the station and there a five cops there to greet me. I was super <deleted> off now. So I started taking pictures of the 5 cops at the station who arrested me for not wearing a mask. That <deleted> them off and all five of the cops tackled me to get my phone, literally assaulted me. One pushed my head down, other were grabbing at my limbs. My back still hurts a little but nothing too serious. I just tried to resist and not fight back. In the end, I was on the ground with five cops on me. They put cuffs super aggressively on me and marched me up the the upper floor cell which was dirty tiles and a squatter in the corner. So they decide I was drunk and I said I had had a beer or two that night but my mind was perfectly clear. On the fifth time they told me to blow into the breathalyzer, they apparently got a reading of 50, the lowest level of DUI here. So they charged me with not wearing a mask in public which carries a 500 baht fine and DUI of 3000 baht fine. Spent a day in court and pled guilty. I was advised by a friend that was the way to go. After court, they put me back in the cell for a couple hours, not sure why. Funny thing was, when we got back to the police station, I entered a room with 4 cops, two of them hurriedly put on their masks when I walked in. Then I was just released but told to come back Tuesday to go to immigration with the police officer. 

its possible u will not be welcome in thailand anymore?  how much money do you spend.  do you stay in a nicely priced room or  a dumpy room?

2 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

What was the breathalyzer reading ?

They said one reading was 50, legal minimum for dui I've been told. They never showed me the results on the breathalyzer. Just some printed out document with the police paperwork. Honestly I've never used a breathalyzer before or been arrested 

1 hour ago, PoodThaiMaiDai said:

You have been honest except the title of the thread.

If you told the entire story on first post you probably would not have been taking a bashing here.

You made two mistakes.

Not wearing a mask on the motorbike.

And then instead of acting like a duck and let the cops questions roll off your back like water, you were offended and became agitated.

The cops lost face when you became agitated and began to disrespect them.

They tested you over and over on the breathalyzer because anyone in their right mind would not do what you did and they thought you must be drunk.

After that, I am sure their were trumped up charges and that is unfortunate.  However it is Thailand and all of us visitors (on holiday or as an expat) must learn to live in their system.  

3,500 Baht for. a life lesson is really not that bad.  

I made the first post at the police station minutes before they jumped me.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Dont confuse me said:

People have a lot to say about this! But ask yourself this, "what's the difference of being told to wear a seat belt, and a mask?"

NOTHING!

Well for those who do not believe the masks actually prevent transmission of covid the difference is seatbelts protect you from injury in an accident while the masks do nothing.  That is a difference.  So for anti-maskers it is a big difference.

For those who believe masks do help prevent transmission of covid then they are the same thing.  There is no difference. 

Not sure if it matters in this context though.  The reality is the government of Thailand believes masks serve a purpose and they have decided they can set the rules.  While I make no comment on if they are right or if government should have such powers it is a reality and we as guests are idiots if we don't just toe the line so we can party there. 

18 hours ago, 2long said:

Can you please stop playing the same tune about full face helmets? We got it the first timeS and even those of us who agree are getting bored.

you should tell that to those you are commenting my post, I'M JUST ANSWERING THEM! besides, in case you didn't know, here is something you should remember:  no law requires you to read my comments  and  NOBODY would blame you if you choose not to read what i'm writing!

• Haha 1

Posts with flaming comments toward other members have been removed:

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.