Arrested for not wearing a mask in Phuket

tsk3009

8 hours ago, jimmybcool said:

Well for those who do not believe the masks actually prevent transmission of covid the difference is seatbelts protect you from injury in an accident while the masks do nothing.  That is a difference.  So for anti-maskers it is a big difference.

For those who believe masks do help prevent transmission of covid then they are the same thing.  There is no difference. 

Not sure if it matters in this context though.  The reality is the government of Thailand believes masks serve a purpose and they have decided they can set the rules.  While I make no comment on if they are right or if government should have such powers it is a reality and we as guests are idiots if we don't just toe the line so we can party there. 

So many different proof of how a simple mask works, and the difference of the masks. 

Up to you, or is it? 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Hummin said:

So many different proof of how a simple mask works, and the difference of the masks. 

Up to you, or is it? 

Interesting video.  But I suspect those who do not believe masks are effective will find fault in it somehow.  Seems once entrenched in a position people refuse to keep an open mind.  Sad really.

• Like 2

Epilogue

So I went in to the station this morning, an officer drove me to the court to drop off some papers and then to immigration. No cuffs, I sat in the passenger seat, and the officer was really nice. I only got out of the truck at immigration where I waited 10 minutes to get my passport back. There were no other fees to be paid. 

Talking to what I believe was a police chief before my trip to immigration this morning. He said normally they take many breath tests and make an average of all the tests to determine the BAL. The arresting officers submitted my intoxication report with one breath test, 50, the legal minimum, when they made me do the breath test 5 times. You can draw your own conclusion. 

It's seems you would get in less trouble if you would break a not so serious law, are polite about it and apologize profusely than be argumentative after committing no real offense.

Edited by tsk3009
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, tsk3009 said:

Epilogue

So I went in to the station this morning, an officer drove me to the court to drop off some papers and then to immigration. No cuffs, I sat in the passenger seat, and the officer was really nice. I only got out of the truck at immigration where I waited 10 minutes to get my passport back. There were no other fees to be paid. 

Talking to what I believe was a police chief before my trip to immigration this morning. He said normally they take many breath tests and make an average of all the tests to determine the BAL. The arresting officers submitted my intoxication report with one breath test, 50, the legal minimum, when they made me do the breath test 5 times. You can draw your own conclusion. 

It's seems you would get in less trouble if you would break a not so serious law, are polite about it and apologize profusely than be argumentative after committing no real offense.

Now you got it.  And understand fully - it doesn't matter if you committed a real offense AT ALL.  This isn't Europe or USA etc.  Police there have almost no oversight and are used to everyone showing deference.  When a westerner shows any belligerence that triggers their response which is to make it hurt for you.  And as you can see they win.  Every.  Time.

On 1/24/2022 at 6:04 AM, jimmybcool said:

Well for those who do not believe the masks actually prevent transmission of covid the difference is seatbelts protect you from injury in an accident while the masks do nothing.  That is a difference.  So for anti-maskers it is a big difference.

For those who believe masks do help prevent transmission of covid then they are the same thing.  There is no difference. 

Not sure if it matters in this context though.  The reality is the government of Thailand believes masks serve a purpose and they have decided they can set the rules.  While I make no comment on if they are right or if government should have such powers it is a reality and we as guests are idiots if we don't just toe the line so we can party there. 

For a mask to actually "protect" IMO they'd have to filter the virus, and seal around the nose and mouth completely, and preferably have an eye shield as well.

Masks that do neither may IMO stop the wearer spreading the virus to others to a certain extent, but IMO they are not very good at protecting the wearer.

I wear a mask when in shops etc, because I have to, but I do not personally believe it is "protecting" me from the virus ( I wear the cheap ones the supermarket gives away for free ).

Once the omicron version gets established it's likely many will catch it, including myself, so I'm not stressing about trying to prevent myself catching it as IMO there are too many ways to become infected to protect against all.

I'll do whatever the dictat says I have to do, but I don't take it particularly seriously.

11 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

For a mask to actually "protect" IMO they'd have to filter the virus, and seal around the nose and mouth completely, and preferably have an eye shield as well.

Masks that do neither may IMO stop the wearer spreading the virus to others to a certain extent, but IMO they are not very good at protecting the wearer.

I wear a mask when in shops etc, because I have to, but I do not personally believe it is "protecting" me from the virus ( I wear the cheap ones the supermarket gives away for free ).

Once the omicron version gets established it's likely many will catch it, including myself, so I'm not stressing about trying to prevent myself catching it as IMO there are too many ways to become infected to protect against all.

I'll do whatever the dictat says I have to do, but I don't take it particularly seriously.

I made no comment on the value of mask wearing.  I merely pointed out how it compared to the seatbelt comment.  Notice I have both sides of the issue.  For the record I am not a great mask advocate.  I do not believe wearing a mask makes ME a lot safer.  I do think if a person is in a highly contagious stage of a virus (a few day period) it can help reduce spread when they cough or sneeze.  Perfect?  No.  Do I advocate wearing masks?  If you are sneezing and coughing and have to go out in public yes.  Do I like mask mandates?  No. 

Heck with omicron we are all going to be exposed to it and it's just a question of if you get ill.  I am now in day 10 of it.  Played golf yesterday (poorly) and it really wiped me out.  Still a bit phlegmy.  But no reason to shut down the world for this variant if I am the norm.  Which it seems reports indicate.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jimmybcool said:

I made no comment on the value of mask wearing.  I merely pointed out how it compared to the seatbelt comment.  Notice I have both sides of the issue.  For the record I am not a great mask advocate.  I do not believe wearing a mask makes ME a lot safer.  I do think if a person is in a highly contagious stage of a virus (a few day period) it can help reduce spread when they cough or sneeze.  Perfect?  No.  Do I advocate wearing masks?  If you are sneezing and coughing and have to go out in public yes.  Do I like mask mandates?  No. 

Heck with omicron we are all going to be exposed to it and it's just a question of if you get ill.  I am now in day 10 of it.  Played golf yesterday (poorly) and it really wiped me out.  Still a bit phlegmy.  But no reason to shut down the world for this variant if I am the norm.  Which it seems reports indicate.

I wasn't attacking you when I made my post. I was just pointing out to some that the sort of cheap masks most wear are not so good at "protecting" the wearer.

I agree with wearing a mask when coughing/ sneezing etc, and did so last time I had a cold, which was long before covid.

I also agree we are probably all ( or rather most of us ) going to get some version of covid, so IMO time to man up and live with it, instead of making futile attempts to eradicate it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...