Arrested for not wearing a mask in Phuket

tsk3009

35 minutes ago, robblok said:

Why did you not have a mask on you ? I mean when im on my bike i take a mask with me as in BKK you need one. In Phuket too. So a bit self inflicted. Plus even if they start to become annoying its still stupid to get aggressive like that. Thais hate curses.

I went to play football the other night....  wore my full face helmet, I didn’t realise I’d forgotten my mask until I was at my destination and took off my helmet. 

No biggie as we were at a football pitch and I wasn’t wearing a mask anyway. 

But... its easy enough to forget - I have since put a spare with my motorcycle. 

-----------

With regards to cursing....  I hear as many Thai’s cursing in Thailand as I do Westerners - the difference is when. 

i.e. on a football pitch, at a friends house, drinking in a pub etc... everyones enjoying the use of colourful language in various languages. 

Get stopped by the Police??....  there is a way to remain firm and strong without swearing and being disrespectful which will only wind them up and encourage them to push your buttons.

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I went to play football the other night....  wore my full face helmet, I didn’t realise I’d forgotten my mask until I was at my destination and took off my helmet. 

-----------

With regards to cursing....  I hear as many Thai’s cursing in Thailand as I do Westerners - the difference is when. 

i.e. on a football pitch, at a friends house, drinking in a pub etc... everyones enjoying the use of colourful language in various languages. 

Get stopped by the Police??....  there is a way to remain firm and strong without swearing and being disrespectful which will only wind them up and encourage them to push your buttons.

I always need a mask as i go out for shopping, so forgetting a mask is just not happening as you won't be allowed into a shop. 

Plus like you i got a spare with the motorcycle. Yes I was talking about cursing to officials that is just not done. Sure cursing among friends is normal, but not against strangers that is asking for trouble especially officials. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Tug said:

Good no excuses for not following safe protocols during this pandemic stop sniveling and just wear the mask!

I think none of us is stupid enough to believe that wearing a mask while riding a motorcycle is an effective safety protocol....    it is this understanding of the obvious that possibly encourages some not to comply.

The idea that wearing a mask while riding a motorcycle protects others from Covid-19 is idiotic. 

That said, the regulations exist as a sweeping rule - and this enables police to enforce even the idiotic aspect of this regulation. 

Thus: while riding with an open face helmet, just wear a mask, wear it under your nose around your chin if you have... but be prepared to pull it up at a check-point. At least present the facade that you are complying - it's not that hard. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sirineou said:

Every time I see someone not waring a mask I stay away.

First of all, it is virtually impossible to spread or contract Covid while riding anything outdoors be it a motorcycle a horse, or a pogo stick. Every time I see an idiot zooming around wearing a useless mask but no helmet I marvel at the sheer stupidity of it all.

2 hours ago, tsk3009 said:

I did take that approach, but the fourth time he told me to put on my mask and I told him I didn't have one on me, only in my hotel where I was going to, I started to get seriously perturbed. It was like he was asking the same handful of questions on repeat.

you should offer him 50b for a mask, even one from his face.

Much less, than 3500b in fines, hurting back, night at pigs house and day in dodgy courts, deportation order within 7 days on Tuesday and blacklist for a year

Edited by internationalism

1 hour ago, tsk3009 said:

I didn't want to carry one around and I was in a place where nobody was wearing them. I don't live here. It would never have crossed my mind that such a thing would be strictly enforced if at all, especially since transmission while riding seems highly unlikely.

Where have you been living for the last couple of years, in a cave. 

You're in Thailand now, we have laws in place to protect the population. 

You need to comply. 

6 hours ago, easydoor said:

freedomnow

•  
  • Advanced Members
  • 1453 posts

Stupid rule made by stupid people.

Edited 8 hours ago by freedomnow

Stupid people not following the rules of a country where they are GUESTS.

If you’re a guest in Thailand I’d like to know who invited you and can I see the invitation please. It’s utter nonsense to say we are guests here. We are immigrants if we’re living here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tsk3009 said:

I was riding back to my hotel at 2 am this morning. The police did a routine stop. Asked me about why I didn't have a mask and all sorts of other questions repeatedly. I had a helmet on and was driving safely. I started getting frustrated and said how f$$^ing stupid it all was to detain me for riding a motorbike for this. I dropped the f bomb a handful of times, not name calling, just out of frustration over the whole stupid scenario, because people go out all the time in Patong with no mask, the bar street, etc. Afterwards, he said something to the effect of you say f$&& f$&$^ f&#^, I take you to the police station. So I roll in to the station and there a five cops there to greet me. I was super <deleted> off now. So I started taking pictures of the 5 cops at the station who arrested me for not wearing a mask. That <deleted> them off and all five of the cops tackled me to get my phone, literally assaulted me. One pushed my head down, other were grabbing at my limbs. My back still hurts a little but nothing too serious. I just tried to resist and not fight back. In the end, I was on the ground with five cops on me. They put cuffs super aggressively on me and marched me up the the upper floor cell which was dirty tiles and a squatter in the corner. So they decide I was drunk and I said I had had a beer or two that night but my mind was perfectly clear. On the fifth time they told me to blow into the breathalyzer, they apparently got a reading of 50, the lowest level of DUI here. So they charged me with not wearing a mask in public which carries a 500 baht fine and DUI of 3000 baht fine. Spent a day in court and pled guilty. I was advised by a friend that was the way to go. After court, they put me back in the cell for a couple hours, not sure why. Funny thing was, when we got back to the police station, I entered a room with 4 cops, two of them hurriedly put on their masks when I walked in. Then I was just released but told to come back Tuesday to go to immigration with the police officer. 

Fascinating short story. Now wake up pls

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The OP is either trolling for attention, or if telling the truth he deserves what he gets.

'had a couple of beers, but had a clear head' and 'sprayed the f word around arresting cops' and 'having to be restrained by 5 cops' sounds like asking for trouble.

Can we close this thread now?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, apetryxx said:

First of all, it is virtually impossible to spread or contract Covid while riding anything outdoors be it a motorcycle a horse, or a pogo stick. Every time I see an idiot zooming around wearing a useless mask but no helmet I marvel at the sheer stupidity of it all.

Helmets are there to prevent brain damage ,for most expats in Thailand that ship has sailed .

On the bright side, the good thing about brain damage is that you never know you have it ????

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

If the guy is on a motorbike it would be difficult to stay close to him anyway.

When we go out riding our bicycle I don't wear my mask also , but we are in a rural setting with few people around. 

I do have the mask on my chin and put it on if I approach people or is riding trough a village,

It is not only to prevent the spread of the virus but as a common curtesy to others who might feel nervous seeing strangers with no masks, not knowing their infection status,   

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Isaanlife said:

Not all helmets are full faced or have a shield smart guy

well, you are  so smart that you know that "Not all helmets are full faced", so  IF, IF, IF you don't want people to see  your  face, ie to see whether or nor you are  wearing a mask, which helmet would you choose, you so smart guy?

15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The laziness in this post points to a troll... the Op has left so many doors open and questions unanswered.... 

No one is arrested for mask wearing - the Op is exaggerating and over reacting.

He may have been stopped and fined for not wearing a mask - that happens. 

------------------

The rule is ‘masks must be work in all public areas’....  That means whenever out of your house (obviously unless eating and exercising). 

When riding a motorcycle - a mask must be work (according to the regs).

Thus, when wearing an open face helmet I wear a mask. 

When wearing a full face helmet I don’t. 

Reasons:

When wearing an open face helmet its easy to spot if I’m not wearing a mask. 

When I flip the face shield down I also pull the mask down to my chin as it causes the face shield to steam up. 

When wearing a full face helmet I don’t wear the mask as it causes the face shield to steam up. 

hi, i'm REALLY THANKFUL TO you for explaining  my comments! i must say i'm completely  taken aback to see people can't UNDERSTAND that  when i'm talking about wearing a  helmet, i'm NATURALLY REFERRING  to a full face helmet!

11 hours ago, tsk3009 said:

I didn't want to carry one around and I was in a place where nobody was wearing them. I don't live here. It would never have crossed my mind that such a thing would be strictly enforced if at all, especially since transmission while riding seems highly unlikely.

Science has little to do with the regulations or enforcement.

Try to be civil with the Immigration interviewer 

15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The above post is just odd.....  

IF the op was wearing a helmet when it he was stopped. Then its likely it wasn’t a full face helmet.

thank you! a few comments here made me wonder...if people use their brain! it's obvious that if you are riding a motocyle but don't  want to wear a mask, then use a full face helmet. chances to be caught are small and then again, you have strong arguments to defend yourself if police arrest you...it's so obvious!

On 1/22/2022 at 3:23 AM, Pique Dard said:

my guess is you didn't even wear a helmet, so what did you expect?

I go along with that, you cannot wear a mask with a helmet on, it is almost impossible, but is the fine for not wearing a mask not a lot more than for not wearing a helmet?

I would bet the policeman who stopped the OP would not have done that with a Thai.

A policeman told my wife to tell me to wear a mask while cycling or I would get fined, I told my wife just let him try.

These policemen, who pay for their jobs, have about the same mentality as the average Thai along with the soldiers in government.

No wonder the country has gone to the dogs.

13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

My mother always told me to never leave the house without a spare pair of underpants.

Handy if I forget my mask.

On 1/22/2022 at 6:05 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

I don't know if it is funny or sad when people believe such a sentence.

Maybe he was fined - which I think is fair enough.

And maybe he didn't want to get fined and made lots of trouble. And maybe that behavior motivated someone to arrest him - which I also think is fair enough.

Over the years I had over hundred encounters with the police when they stopped me for not riding on the left lane. It was always friendly. Don't pi@$ them off and all will be fine.

Good Morning Thailand.

Yes, if the police or any other people in authority pull you up for anything silly with a smile on their face and without raising their voice, even if you don't agree with them, talk back in a nice manner, and maybe even laugh at them, most of them are the equivalent of a western country's village idiot, so just treat them as such. ????

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pique Dard said:

thank you! a few comments here made me wonder...if people use their brain! it's obvious that if you are riding a motocyle but don't  want to wear a mask, then use a full face helmet. chances to be caught are small and then again, you have strong arguments to defend yourself if police arrest you...it's so obvious!

Can you please stop playing the same tune about full face helmets? We got it the first timeS and even those of us who agree are getting bored.

On 1/22/2022 at 7:25 AM, bkk6060 said:

Bugs, rocks, bad air, others sneezing around you at stop lights all very dangerous while riding a motorbike good protection to always wear a mask.

You cannot wear a mask with a helmet, and when riding a motorbike, you should always be wearing a helmet.

On 1/22/2022 at 7:43 AM, Pique Dard said:

well this is a question you should ask yourself! because if he wasn't wearing a full face helmet, it is OBVIOUS THAT the police would have noticed the absence of the mask. i don't think  it is difficult to understand that i'm OBVIOUSLY referring to a full face helmet Hjälm BOLT A-613S Svart

I have never tried it but trying to wear a mask even without a full face helmet would, I think, be a bit awkward.

12 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Where have you been living for the last couple of years, in a cave. 

You're in Thailand now, we have laws in place to protect the population. 

You need to comply. 

Are tourists supposed to study everchanging laws that make no sense, like wearing a mask on a motorbike? If the police really cared and wanted to protect the population, they would go out in the day when people are around in public places and instruct people to wear masks with a warning, not interrogate people at length who are putting nobody at risk. Shouldn't the police themselves wear masks when inside a building?

Edited by tsk3009
  • Thanks 1

On 1/22/2022 at 5:46 AM, stigar said:

GOOD LUCK!!!U get scared now?Meeting wih he thai embassy.Be aware.You don know knohing who i im-Me in white shirt.We had lunch togeher 2 hour.ImNOT work for the auhorihes in thailand,bu i like to be updatet.The ambassadoer is my friend.If i ask he lates news she or her secreay uodate me by call..sms or in Line-

thai oslo.jpg

Was it "buy one pair - get one free" in the gym shoes dept at your local mall ? And, more to the point, what's my mother on law doing there "

On 1/22/2022 at 8:13 AM, 2long said:

Can you guys not see what this is? The OP just wants attention, and therefore left a short post at 3am on a Friday night and then no more input... probably just to get loads of hits, questions and replies.

I call it out as an attention-seeking troll post, and nothing more.

True, but I am still getting a laugh at this topic, troll or not. ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1