Phuket hotel calls 191 after Estonian tourist with Covid leaves with her husband to Koh Samui

webfact

1A.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Daily News reported that the Ban Yindee Boutique Resort in Patong, Phuket called the Thai emergency number 191 to report that an Estonian woman with Covid-19 had left with her husband and two other tourists bound for Koh Samui.

They said they had no forwarding address for 50 year old Janika P. and her husband Jeder A. after they left Phuket in a van.

Pol Col Supharik Phankosol said the couple were traced to the Chaweng Park Palace hotel in Bo Phut and then taken for correct treatment to the Aura Lamai. 

He said they complied willingly with the order. 

Daily News said that the husband and other tourists were tested and also taken into quarantine as per health authority orders. 

Long Stay Visa Health Insurance Plans

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-01-22

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Under the first round of Test & Go, I was given an RTK test to administer myself and send a photo of the results back to the AQ hotel. Done, no problem.

A few weeks later, under the same Test & Go regimen, in lieu if the DIY method, a friend was given a slip of paper by the AQ hotel that he needed to present to a hospital at his ultimate destination for his 5th day RTK test. Done, no problem.

I recall a post on this forum where a member claims he was so busy, he forgot to go and get the 5th day test and asking if he should bother and if he didn't, would immigration know about it when he went for an extension. While some members urged that he go ASAP and get the RTK test, a fair few more suggested that he should just ignore it as there's supposedly no linkage between the MOPH procedures and immigration procedures.

With Test & Go 'part deux' requiring AQ for the second, mandatory PCR test, along with the five people who walked out of their AQ hotel a few weeks back and this Estonian couple, I wonder if it's because the numbers show that some visitors simply can't be trusted to do what they have agreed to do when they applied for and received a Thailand Pass?

I guess that is why they are requiring you to get a room for for second test too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I wonder if it's because the numbers show that some visitors simply can't be trusted to do what they have agreed to do when they applied for and received a Thailand Pass?

Which "numbers" exactly ?  Personally. I don't believe they had any possible way of correlating the figures of arrivals under the scheme with those that actually undertook the 2nd test or not.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Daily News reported that the Ban Yindee Boutique Resort in Patong, Phuket called the Thai emergency number 191 to report that an Estonian woman with Covid-19 had left with her husband and two other tourists bound for Koh Samui.

Sheer stupidity.

7 hours ago, RandiRona said:

Well it would really become more fun when they would be tracing each and every tourist when they wont show up for 5th day SHA+ testing. What can you say , its tourist hunting season.

Only tourists who defy the law and put us  all in danger. I say to  the police 'Happy hunting'

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, khunPer said:

It's sad when people don't care about others and just ignore rules. Seems like many Thais are scared about Covid - no wonder, quarantine can be bad for the maintaining a family income - when tourists acts like that it might cause that Thais avoid tourists.

And of course all Thais comply with the isolation rules? With no social net to cover earnings, kids to feed, bills to pay? I know some Thais who did not isolate as they had no symptoms or just went out to get some food. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Petey11 said:

And of course all Thais comply with the isolation rules? With no social net to cover earnings, kids to feed, bills to pay? I know some Thais who did not isolate as they had no symptoms or just went out to get some food. 

I know Thai who stil drive while being drunk or under influence of drugs.... apparently the rules the country has for such do not apply either?

But the main issue here is she left quarantine while being instructed not to do so. That you should not do in any country. Just follow the rules. If you have asymptomatic covid its sounds not fair. If you have omicron which is less severe and which after 3-4 days does not even transfer anymore it is also hard to maintain the quarantine.

But is Thailand that should change the rules for such not the tourist.  They can learn from what is happening in the rest of the world. If they choose not to look at external data they make a mistake in my opinion.  But also then it still is Thailand who decides and makes these rules and regulations and not others. 

Given how covid regulations are imposed on tourist i would not visit Thailand at the moment but i would prefer to go to another country with a more relaxed covid policy. But that is a different discussion.

• Like 1

Are not all foreigners leaving Phuket supposed to present their passports for inspection at the check-point before leaving the island. If her van driver stopped and complied with this regulation why was this not picked up there by the Immigration officials, this is exactly why the check there which inconveniences many of us is there. If her van driver did not stop and comply will he also be hunted down and brought to justice for his or her complicity in this 'escape'

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, sbf said:

Are not all foreigners leaving Phuket supposed to present their passports for inspection at the check-point before leaving the island. If her van driver stopped and complied with this regulation why was this not picked up there by the Immigration officials, this is exactly why the check there which inconveniences many of us is there. If her van driver did not stop and comply will he also be hunted down and brought to justice for his or her complicity in this 'escape'

You can drive straight through the Sarasin checkpoint when leaving, no need to show a passport and no need to stop unless waved down.

On 1/22/2022 at 1:27 AM, gearbox said:

Interesting how much they would charge a couple. And what's "correct treatment" - they don't seem to need any treatment at all,  just isolation.

It would appear that the only suitable and correct treatment here is the surgical removal of as much cash as possible. What these jokers did is wrong and wreckless and deserve punishment. Home isolation when asymptomatic, or minimal symptons, should be supported. The draconian rules for enforced hospitalisation of foreigners is clearly just a cash grab nowadays. Sadly I don't expect anything to change for a long time. Therefore the economy will flounder for the foreseeable.

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, beechbum said:

You can drive straight through the Sarasin checkpoint when leaving, no need to show a passport and no need to stop unless waved down.

Yes thanks for the input. I know that one can drive straight through by staying in either Lane 1 or 2 as largely the inspections of Thai citizens has stopped. In fact over the last month I have only seen one time when they were inspecting for Thai citizens, and that was the day the gunman went beserk down in the fish market in Phuket town. However road signs prior to the check point still indicate that foreigners must go through Lane 3, so does anyone know if we are still officially meant to stop and show our passport every time or not. I have seen nothing to say we do not. 

On 1/22/2022 at 2:15 PM, RandiRona said:

Well it would really become more fun when they would be tracing each and every tourist when they wont show up for 5th day SHA+ testing. What can you say , its tourist hunting season.

It's Omicron hunting season, you're all going to get it no matter where you go, and most don't know they have it, this will keep happening and some may test positive for a few weeks even though they are over it. RT PCR tests are no longer reliable and we're very good at false positives even with Delta. 

• Thanks 1