Would you vaccinate your child aged 5-11 (with Pfizer)?

Would you vaccinate your child aged 5-11 (with Pfizer)?  

130 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

Do you have any use for scientific research at all? What does that say about the relative risk of vaccinating vs. not vaccinating children? Rationally speaking, it's obvious that vaccinating is better for kids than not vaccinating.

The title of the poll is "Would you vaccinate your child aged 5-11? It's a hypothetical question for all to weigh in on, if the title had been "Will you vaccinate your child aged 5-11?" Now, the parents with young ones can be polled.  

4 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

the thread asked parents with kids in the 5 -11 age bracket if they would vaccinate their kids. There are some on here who are still on the fence and wishing to discuss with other parents.

If you don’t have kids in that age group it’s a decision you don’t have to make, so your argument is void 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

More children will die from the disease than the vaccine.

Death isn't the only downside to a vaccine which is new. And I won't subject my kid to a new vaccine for the sake of others. The drive I'm taking into Pattaya today is more dangerous  than not vaccinating my kid.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

The title of the poll is "Would you vaccinate your child aged 5-11? It's a hypothetical question for all to weigh in on, if the title had been "Will you vaccinate your child aged 5-11?" Now, the parents with young ones can be polled.  

But the point remains that parenthood doesn't give one any special insight into matters of science.

Moreover, in your previous post, you once again played mind reader and accused non-parents of having selfish motives for supporting inoculating children.

3 hours ago, placeholder said:

But the point remains that parenthood doesn't give one any special insight into matters of science. Moreover, in your previous post, you once again played mind reader and accused non-parents of having selfish motives for supporting inoculating children.

Science says very few healthy kids die from covid.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Science says very few healthy kids die from covid.

Here's what you wrote:

"The title of the poll is misleading, "Would you vaccinate" has folks with no young children voting based on what's best for them and not what's best for the kids."

So not only did you accuse people making that decision based on selfish reasons, but you don't even understand the Science.

It's true that Science says very few healthy kid die from Covid. Science also says that even few kids die from Covid if they are vaccinated. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sungod said:

the thread asked parents with kids in the 5 -11 age bracket if they would vaccinate their kids. There are some on here who are still on the fence and wishing to discuss with other parents. If you don’t have kids in that age group it’s a decision you don’t have to make, so your argument is void 

One reason I say not as relevant is because not vaccinating them has an impact on the rest of us.  We're all in this together.  Sadly.

• Like 1

Not so mild? Hospitalizations exploding among Utah infants, children with COVID-19′s omicron strain

For kids under 5, the omicron variant is not so “mild,” one pediatric expert says.

“I sorry, Mommy. Mommy hugs, I scared. I don’t like it. Mommy!”

Those were the last words 3-year-old Justin Lee Francis spoke to his mother, Yvonne, before he was sedated and put on a ventilator at Primary Children’s Hospital last week, when he was diagnosed with COVID-19, asthma, pneumonia and other illnesses.

“Those words are burned in my memory,” Yvonne Francis said Thursday from the hospital, where Justin Lee still is on a ventilator, still sedated, and slowly recovering after nearly a week in the intensive care unit. “He was really scared.”

Justin Lee is one of nearly 140 Utah children under age 15 who have been hospitalized with COVID-19 in the past two weeks as the number of serious infections explodes, especially among infants and kids younger than 5.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2022/01/21/utahs-covid/

Edited by onthedarkside
disallowed social media content removed, replaced with linked news article

WHO Recommends Reduced Dose Pfizer COVID Vaccine for Under 12s

By Reuters Jan. 21, 2022, at 8:11 a.m

The World Health Organization on Friday recommended extending the use of a reduced dosage of Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccine to children aged 5 to 11 years old.

The recommended dosage for the younger population is 10 micrograms instead of 30 micrograms offered to those 12 years and older.

"This age group (5-11) is in the lowest priority use group for vaccination except, for children who have co-morbidities," SAGE chairman Alejandro Cravioto said at a briefing.

https://www.usnews.com/news/top-news/articles/2022-01-21/who-advisory-panel-recommends-extending-use-of-pfizer-vaccine-to-5-11-year-olds

• Like 1

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2022/01/21/national/pfizer-vaccine-ok-children/

Japan approves Pfizer shot for children age 5 to 11 as omicron spreads among cohort

"Dr. Tetsuo Nakayama, a project professor at the Kitasato Institute for Life Sciences, recommends vaccinations for not only children with conditions that increase the likelihood of severe symptoms of COVID-19 but for healthy children as well. COVID-19 infections can be physically and mentally draining for unvaccinated people, Nakayama noted. Even in cases where the vaccine fails to prevent infection, it can still prevent serious illness, he added."

2 minutes ago, sungod said:

I know a lot of vaccinated people who caught it, and then passed it on to their un-vaccinated kids who did just fine. I think that argument is old hat with omicron.

How many do you really know?  Doubt very many.  And your personal experience isn't really relevant. 

Look at my post above.

22 minutes ago, sungod said:

I know a lot of vaccinated people who caught it, and then passed it on to their un-vaccinated kids who did just fine. I think that argument is old hat with omicron.

so, you would agree that the argument is still relevant for delta which is still prevalent?

24 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

How many do you really know?  Doubt very many.  And your personal experience isn't really relevant. 

Look at my post above.

Well, my son already had it, avoided serious illness thankfully, his runny nose and cough didn't cause us too much stress  either which we are thankful for.

The WHO article was interesting, 1 small dose, no boosters. I can understand why some parents may follow up on that is they have been lucky enough that their kids have not contacted it yet, but for us that would be closing the stable door after the horse has bolted.

• Like 1

https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2021/10/study-confirms-kids-as-spreaders-of-covid-19-and-emerging-variants/

"By studying 110 children aged two weeks to 21 years who tested positive for COVID-19 at Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) or urgent care clinics, researchers confirmed earlier findings that infants, children and adolescents are equally capable of carrying high levels of live, replicating SARS-CoV-2 in their respiratory secretions."

https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-children-can-be-spreaders-but-are-often-symptomless/a-56176606

Coronavirus: Children can be spreaders — but are often symptomless

"So far, many people have underestimated the role that children can play in spreading the novel coronavirus. Researchers say they can contract and spread the virus without showing symptoms."

1 hour ago, sungod said:

so why do you doubt I have lots of friends who have had covid. I live in Pattaya, its ripped through here.

My son is online learning as they have cases at school.

I was questioning the part about passing it along to their kids.  Unless the kids were sick, which is doubtful, then they weren't tested.  So how does anyone know if they had covid?

Kinda like one member here constantly saying he had covid, but then admits he was never tested. 

AFAIK, schools are mandating that kids need to be vaccinated in order to attend.

Bit of a moot point arguing the case for or against 5 year-olds getting jabbed unless you are home-schooling, the school still offers the online learning option or you are not even bothering with school, no?

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, transam said:

You were fully vaccinated and got it, or are you saying because you had you are now immune..?

Fully vaccinated, 2nd dose 3 months ago, then caught it. So much for Jeff's theory it stop transmission.

22 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Do the research.  Which you clearly haven't.

I put up some info on this here:

The good news: Rapid antigen tests can definitely detect Omicron. The bad news: Some research indicates that rapid tests may be less sensitive to Omicron than they are to other variants.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-reliable-are-covid-19-rapid-tests-for-detecting-omicron-11641747601

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Do the research.  Which you clearly haven't.

I put up some info on this here:

This one from the NHS (reviewed 20th Jan) so assume omicron is the dominant strain.

Research shows rapid tests are a reliable test for COVID-19. They give a quick result and do not need to be sent to a lab.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/testing/regular-rapid-coronavirus-tests-if-you-do-not-have-symptoms/