Would you vaccinate your child aged 5-11 (with Pfizer)?

Would you vaccinate your child aged 5-11 (with Pfizer)?  

130 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, sungod said:

Not sure, but omicron is the dominant one across the world and the experts are telling us its forcing out delta. If a deadlier version came along then would reassess obviously. 

Do you have any kids in the 5-11 bracket?

No, but I have great grand children....????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We have already approved for my Son (8 yrs old) to receive Pfizer when it arrives, his school will deal with the logistic - so the answer to the question: Yes, I would (will) vaccinate my child.

I have no great concern regarding potential exposure of my son to known variants of Covid-19, so why vaccinate him.

- There is still a risk of contracting Covid-19 even for children.

- While the risk of serious consequences is low, there is a risk of ‘long covid’ in children. 

- While the risk to health of a child contracting known variants of Covid-19 is currently low, the virus has shown itself to evolve (antigenic drift) quickly - I want him vaccinated and protected in case virus drifts into a variant of concern which presents a greater threat to children.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

This from an Oct 2021 press release;

Today, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration authorized the emergency use of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine for the prevention of COVID-19 to include children 5 through 11 years of age. 

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/fda-authorizes-pfizer-biontech-covid-19-vaccine-emergency-use-children-5-through-11-years-age

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Yes, the last thing those parents need is advice that tallies with the opinion of the medical community.

Exactly, that why I watch what the JCVI are advising, only at risk 5-11 year olds.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Gashead said:

There were pretty much no reports of deaths or serious illnesses

To be fair, children dying of covid is very well documented.

According to the CDC, covid is a top 10 cause of death in kids aged 5-11. 

That said, it is comparatively low compared to adults.

Also, well documented is deaths after vaccines in teenagers  (particularly boys) and adults.

Though, the covid death figures are higher in every age group than the vaccine death figures.

Don't think there have been any deaths in 5-11 year olds following vaccine yet.

1 hour ago, 2009 said:

More than have died of the vaccine. 

Depends on how it's classified:

Alberta's reporting of comorbidities questioned after boy, 14, removed from COVID-19 death count

Nathanael Spitzer's family says he died of cancer, not COVID-19, as province reported

CBC News · Posted: Oct 15, 2021

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/covid-comorbidities-alberta-spitzer-1.6212510

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, thaitom said:

yeah tell that to the government also. my daughter starts school on monday yet again. has only been to school about 4 days in the last two years ! and they plan to start vaccination feb 1 with the second dose feb 28. if she doesn't take it there will be no school for her !...  so I have decided to just keep her out of school for the foreseeable future.  she has learned more at home anyway then the school would have taught her.

Will you get in trouble with the authorities for not sending your kid to school ?

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Will you get in trouble with the authorities for not sending your kid to school ?

that is a good question.  I do see many children where i live that do not attend school, and i always questioned that, wife says it doesn't matter !? does anyone know if homeschooling is legal here ?

1 hour ago, thaitom said:

yeah tell that to the government also. my daughter starts school on monday yet again. has only been to school about 4 days in the last two years ! and they plan to start vaccination feb 1 with the second dose feb 28. if she doesn't take it there will be no school for her !...  so I have decided to just keep her out of school for the foreseeable future.  she has learned more at home anyway then the school would have taught her.

You can teach Thai, Thai grammar, all that stuff that gets taught at school....?  ????

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

I'm totally pro vaccine as you probably know, however I certainly respect your decision on this with JCVI also making those recommendations.

Thanks for this, as I am still looking for information to convince me . If there is no evidence to any benefit why will they make it mandatory for my daughter to go to school. they already told us that the wife and I must be also vaccinated. Which we are.

9 minutes ago, thaitom said:

Thanks for this, as I am still looking for information to convince me . If there is no evidence to any benefit why will they make it mandatory for my daughter to go to school. they already told us that the wife and I must be also vaccinated. Which we are.

My Sons School told me not to come and collect him from School anymore , because I am not fully vaccinated 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, thaitom said:

I've seen it reported a couple of times from the Thai Health Ministry that for those under 12 it is a parents choice. It seems to be a decision being taken by individual schools and there is no national consensus. So long as your child had weekly ATK tests along with the other children then that should be enough, imo.

Of course all the teachers and parents should be vaccinated, that goes without saying.

At the end of the day however you have to weigh up the pro and cons of the effects of missing school for your child, its not just the education, its the important social interaction, cognitive development and mental health. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, thaitom said:

That is where the wife comes in......

My Wife is a Thammarat Masters Graduate....  some consider that a decent education in Thailand, yet she would not even attempt to teach our Son Thai, she knows she is not an educated educator - we leave that to the professionals and outsource his extra curricular Thai to a qualified Thai Teacher. 

The same can be said of the rest of his subjects. While I have a decent education and did well at School and at University, I am not an educator and entrust his education in those who are 'well trained’ to educate him (a good international school). 

This may be the difference..... ‘Well trained educators’... If your child is going to a local temple school, then the home schooling by untrained parents may be of benefit to a child, otherwise denying a child access to a decent school is denying them access to education... Most parents are not better educators than most teachers at most schools.

19 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Try making sense of this :

All the kids are playing together in the playground .

A teacher with a microphone by the school gate calls the kids name one by one . and the kids leave the school one by one with a space between them so not to spread the virus , then all the kids get in the same school bus to go home 

My Son doesn’t use the school minibuses.....  But, at his school, due to Covid-19 measures, occupancy of the minibuses has been halved...  Kids who have been in a class room together all day, playing in the playground etc, then get in a mini-bus which offers minimal distancing at best.

This is not a school policy, but the School following MoPH guidelines - a lot of the regulations are pure theatre thought up by those in positions of decision making power (MoPH) often dictating policy to those heads in schools who are often better placed and better educated to handle such decisions with intelligent balance and critical thought. 

On 1/22/2022 at 11:51 AM, 2009 said:

I really can't agree with this reasoning though.

Children should get the vaccine to protect themselves from serious covid complications and death, not to protect others.

Why should a teen boy die of the vaccine to protect his elderly neighbor (or anyone else) from covid?

Many super spreader events have been linked to schools. And as we know, it's not just about protecting yourself. It's about protecting others.

Stop spreading misinformation. The vaccine absolutely helps Stop transmission. That's well proven.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Saanim said:

Actually, this statement "the vaccine doesn't stop anyone spreading it; people need the vaccines to protect themselves from death" we heard at the beginning, with some wonderful figures, over 90%. 

Currently, it has been modified to: "the vaccines make the illness easier and the dying either". Did I get it wrong?

Yes