Jump to content

The day the cows came home.


up2you2
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Paulaew said:

I'm a longtime Mac user. In fact I was a professional Apple system engineer for some years, installing Macs and Appletalk networks at Stanford and Xerox PARC in the late 80's.

welcome to the club 🙂

4 minutes ago, Paulaew said:

Apple is a religion, perhaps even a cult. When you're inside it seems like the true path for computing, but eventually you see the light and deprogram yourself.

Amen to that 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, recom273 said:

The last gen airport express are highly sought after, they use airplay 2.

Yes, I have 5 devices with airplay 2 a couple I bought for about ¥4,000 so I can have 4 different sets of speakers playing the same podcast or music.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Then you are clearly not a Linux user and did not use the Terminal app, that allows you to get a low level as you want quite probably to a much lower level than is available in current windows. Very few use it but it’s there if you want. You can also run as root if you have the knowledge, or like the ability to completely cripple your OS..

 

Just because there is a successful series of books for neophytes labelled  as “for dummies” doesn’t change it pejorative meaning or make your ad hominem insult any better.

 

Your lack of knowledge of any one you know personally who has got incompatible parts has little meaning as to the rate of it happening. I don’t personally know anyone who has died in a motor vehicle accident but I know that thousands die annually.

 

What? Linus is not the childish proprietory Mac OS. What are you talking about. And the rest of your comment is just silly pedantry. No more from me. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Speedhump said:

What? Linus is not the childish proprietory Mac OS. What are you talking about. And the rest of your comment is just silly pedantry. No more from me. 

That is again showing your total ignorance of Mac OS this may show your general lack of basic computer knowledge or just your prejudice against Mac OS as well as your inability to distinguish between Linus Van Pelt,  Linus Torvalds and the Linux, they are all different just in case you’re having difficulties Mac OS sits on top of Linux in a little bit of a similar way that most windows OSs sit on top of DOS, though it is possible to do things on Mac OS using the Terminal controlling the underlying free BSD Darwin Linux

6BB2349D-4B00-4EFA-868A-9AC184036162.jpeg.8a52b10cbf50c360b314d8f29b1f802e.jpeg

here is a little taste of the Darwin loading screenEB067BDA-F827-4A59-A658-07E0C3E8884F.thumb.jpeg.3c607d12ddab93c5a079d5ec512061be.jpeg

 

and the Terminal App

53424909-255B-43C5-914F-E56538E0CC19.thumb.jpeg.dcbeddf902132093a6b4206cb1c78aa9.jpeg
 

so no pedantry, but maybe just too sophisticated for a poor wintell user? 😉 

 

Edited by sometimewoodworker
Link to post
Share on other sites

Linus = typo, you appalling pedant. 

 

So you can use Darwin like a Windows command shell, to SIMPLY perform many powerful tasks without bothering the GUI? Linux opened in MacOS is that simple? 

 

I have no wish to expand the knowledge of Linux I garnered many years ago when it couldn't even install a printer without giving me a near coronary. I'll remain ignorant, thanks. 

 

I like most others replying to you, are not biased against Mac so much as seeing that its days are over except for those that are in too deep to get out. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, GrandPapillon said:

I am an Apple IIe fan, and still run it on my Win10 PC 😛

 

I have like 20 version of Apple II ROMs to test 😛

 

awesome little machine 🙂

 

At least it's proper UNIX based. 

 

Using Windows til not so long ago you had to learn the stupid, complicated DOS commands, if like me you do a ton of things with the Terminal. 

 

Not to say the inconsistent mess it is graphically. and the kernel riddled with code from decades ago. Windows is a mess and it will continue to be.

Link to post
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, alextrat1966 said:

At least it's proper UNIX based. 

 

Using Windows til not so long ago you had to learn the stupid, complicated DOS commands, if like me you do a ton of things with the Terminal. 

 

Not to say the inconsistent mess it is graphically. and the kernel riddled with code from decades ago. Windows is a mess and it will continue to be.

DOS is easy to learn, seriously, you have to be very lazy or clueless not to use it

 

OSX is not proper unix, it has a proprietary layer on the top of it, messing up things a bit, but you can still manage things efficiently with a console. Mac users are not Unix fans and have no clue how to use the root console on MacOS X

 

The file organization structure on MacOS X is also a mess, compared to a real UNIX system like Debian. Of course Win10 is far worse, but you don't use Windows to play with the console all day.

 

I prefer the UI of Win10, compared to the Finder in MacOSX

Edited by GrandPapillon
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

That is again showing your total ignorance of Mac OS this may show your general lack of basic computer knowledge or just your prejudice against Mac OS

isn't MacOSX based on the MachTen kernel, not the Linux kernel? so technically not Linux,

 

or maybe that changed recently if MacOSX switch to a full Linux kernel,

Link to post
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Speedhump said:

 

I like most others replying to you, are not biased against Mac so much as seeing that its days are over except for those that are in too deep to get out. 

There seem to be few here, it is the Apple forum after all. On the subject of its days being over that is too comical for words, it has been the chorus for the past 25 years from when it was a tiny competitor to Microsoft to being double its value in 2015

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, GrandPapillon said:

DOS is easy to learn, seriously, you have to be very lazy or clueless not to use it

Easy to learn doesn’t mean I should. When you come from UNIX, DOS is very confusing. Thankfully recently they realized this fact and created the Ubuntu FS whatever that is.

 

4 minutes ago, GrandPapillon said:

OSX is not proper unix, it has a proprietary layer on the top of it, messing up things a bit, but you can still manage things efficiently with a console. Mac users are not Unix fans and have no clue how to use the root console on MacOS X

Correct. Most macOS users I know use the Terminal daily, not saying there are many who don’t; mainly those I know are in the same sector as mine. 
 

5 minutes ago, GrandPapillon said:

The file organization structure on MacOS X is also a mess, compared to a real UNIX system like Debian. Of course Win10 is far worse, but you don't use Windows to play with the console all day.

Yes the FS is not that great, but miles ahead of Windows.

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, GrandPapillon said:

isn't MacOSX based on the MachTen kernel, not the Linux kernel? so technically not Linux,

 

or maybe that changed recently if MacOSX switch to a full Linux kernel,

It’s been based on FreeBSD since Mac OS X 10 so unless that’s another name for MachTen not really. But you can download all the Mac OS open source versions if you want to check

https://opensource.apple.com/releases/

Link to post
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

There seem to be few here, it is the Apple forum after all. On the subject of its days being over that is too comical for words, it has been the chorus for the past 25 years from when it was a tiny competitor to Microsoft to being double its value in 2015

Top class branding targeting gullible trend-sensitive fashionistas (which most certainly encompasses media/publishing people with money to burn). 😎

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Speedhump said:

Top class branding targeting gullible trend-sensitive fashionistas (which most certainly encompasses media/publishing people with money to burn). 😎

Top class branding only gets you so far, if the products don’t justify the prices charged the best branding will not get repeat business.
 

Apples business model gets it an incredible profit margin, for the industry, nobody in the tech sector comes remotely close, and it is still value for money. Of course you will not agree.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Top class branding only gets you so far, if the products don’t justify the prices charged the best branding will not get repeat business.
 

Apples business model gets it an incredible profit margin, for the industry, nobody in the tech sector comes remotely close, and it is still value for money. Of course you will not agree.

No, I won't agree with baseless fanboy blather, and I already explained what their business model is! Anyway, thanks for the chat. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

It’s been based on FreeBSD since Mac OS X 10 so unless that’s another name for MachTen not really. But you can download all the Mac OS open source versions if you want to check

https://opensource.apple.com/releases/

pretty sure it's based on MachTen which might be a BSD fork, will have to check

 

not that it really matters, MacOS X UI is still sh*t 🙂

 

Edited by GrandPapillon
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...