Wife wants divorce, have child together. Looking for advice.

Married for 7 years, have a kid together. Wife said she wants a divorce. I'm here on a non-O marriage visa. I work remotely for a company overseas. I'm not old enough for a retirement visa, and I doubt I'll be able to get custody. Shared custody might be possible.

What are my options for staying and being a part of my son's life?

Edited by zarman
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, FridgeMagnet1 said:

Really, how? 

You don't need to. 

After the divorce instead of getting yearly extensions of stay to your Non-O VISA for being the spouse of a Thai, you would get them for being the father of a Thai. 

In the end it's the same, you would just have to provide different documentation.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

If the Op pays maintenance towards the child, then why should the wife be uncooperative?

There are numerous examples of uncooperative mother making access to child difficult.

Even more so if they live in the boonies. The village folk can make life difficult.

Sometimes the opposite is the case and mother happy to place child in father's care.

Check out divorce forum for some colourful reading. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I assume you are on a extension of stay issued by immigration not a non-o visa issued by a embassy or consulate.

You could apply for a one year extension of stay  based upon being the parent of Thai.

Most offices will accept the application if you have joint custody of your child.

Yes, that's correct.

I looked into it and that seems like the go to option.

Thank you.

12 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

OP how old are you. Asking as to how long before you can obtain extensions based on retirement.

You could look into PE visa. 

There is also marriage/divorce forum and you might obtain general advice/support there.

Not just about visa options.

If the wife is uncooperative re shared custody then it's an uphill battle. 

I'm in my 30's. Not planning on retiring here, even though it's far away for me.

Thanks for the advice on the alternative forum.

It's 50/50 as to whether she'll be cooperative or not. We'll see in the next few days. This bombshell was dropped on me this morning, so it's gonna take awhile to come to terms with it and figure things out.

Thank you.

• Sad 3

13 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Sorry to hear that. 
Pretty sure you’ll need paper from court regards custody to be able to use that method to extend. Don’t think merely being on birth cert is enough. All the best. 

Yeah I use this method of a visa too, they always need various papers including the birth certificate but also from the mother. So I wonder too how that would be possible unless having court papers with custody, and before that is arranged can take years too.

Even only the birth certificate would do, try and be the one who still owns it, there is only one.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

2 hours ago, zarman said:

I'm in my 30's. Not planning on retiring here, even though it's far away for me.

It's 50/50 as to whether she'll be cooperative or not. We'll see in the next few days. This bombshell was dropped on me this morning, so it's gonna take awhile to come to terms with it and figure things out.

Wish you all the best, I had made a very decent proposal at the time where I would pay all for my son as well would still help her out for a year until she figured what she would want to do. Then she initially agreed, to then not stick to it, then stick to it again etc etc. 

I did simply solve the visa issue by using an agent tho, plenty of ways to get that part sorted. As of this very moment, I am still dealing almost daily with the drama she keeps causing. 

Try to keep your head calm, I know how hard it is. Feel free to PM me.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

There are agents who arrange that. Also many corrupt immigration agents and offices. Very common here. 

I have had a work permit here for 10 years and seeing how much documentation the company has to present I can imagine how many hands would have to be greased to get this through.

i also had to pull out all of my degrees and job history to justify issuing my permit. They even cross checked a few!

Has to be an easier cheaper way.

5 minutes ago, DTL2014 said:

my friend got joint custody but he had to do a paternity test and register the child as his  at local govt office.

Even without the mother to agree on that / not married? Wonder how long those tests are valid for and if you need to bring the child in person or wether bringing a swab or piece of hair etc.

I did do some online DNA test where you provide the samples and ship them but already read up to that this is not good enough for family court (this was just to be sure he was mine).

Edited by ChaiyaTH

16 minutes ago, rct99q said:

One never knows. I know in my situation it would be a cold day in Hell my daughter would stay with her mother. 

Another farang that thinks he is a sheriff.

Think you will find, custody wise that the mother is generally in the driver's seat.

Edited by DrJack54

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

So stop paying util she's completely co-operative.

If she doesn't change, at least you're financially better off.

I love to pay for my son tho, not paying her. Only in the initial phase for 12 months and supporting in rent, so my son doesn't live in a cracky apartment and has his own room / space to play. Do pay for all his cost, interschool, whatever. 

But yeah, the next steps are quite heavy and cost a lot. Would prefer that to be the last resort. Might try for a while in between cutting all funds, to see if that changes a thing.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

8 hours ago, zarman said:

Thank you.

All I can say is best of luck.  I hope things work out in a way that is good for everyone involved.