Unexpected Cars

When cruising on saturdays or sundays with the family and we see somewhere a classic car, we always pull over a have a closer look.

My (thai) wife and kids lived in Europe for some time, and she loves anything classic, old, antic, etc. So whenever we see something we have a look.

Last week, outside Chiang Mai, at a second hand car dealer we saw

A HILLMAN (1950-1960)

We asked the price, it was around 80.000, which is not crazy expenses. And bargaining was possible.

The car needed some extra work, but in all it looked quite ok.

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool, :) Love the Desoto.

Yeah the Desoto made my smile. Couldnt work out why it looked weird, apart from a roof chop, the fins have been heightened. Possibly a first. The interior was pretty horrific though.

There's LOADS more pics where that came from. For example, the owner of Nong Nooch botanical gardens in Pattaya has a multi-million dollar collection, including a GT 40.

Will try to get around to posting them.

Edited by Charger770

It's mostly all over Chonburi, spotted '07, -'08. I used to rent 400 or 650cc bikes and just ride the highways all day, sometimes doing 300+ k's in a day.

The thought horrifies me now - shorts and T-shirt, plastic bucket type helmet, 120kph+, Thai drivers. Must of had a deathwish...

My daily rides for 6 months

P2030012.jpg

laugh.gif haha!

Nice eclectic set of pics, Charger.

Anybody seen a DeLorean in Thailand? That would be an interesting find, IMO....... My neighbor growing up back home had one and he still keeps it in his garage - haven't seen it in over 5 years but it was pretty friggn' awesome the last time I did see it.... (actually it's kind of a POS, but still, just being in Back To The Future makes it pretty dam_n cool...)

Tried to post an E63 BMW 6-Series, but it's really nothing special, pretty much par for the course in certain parts of BKK. I've, however, seen an E24 M635CSi and that is a beauty....

edit: Thinking of neighbors' garages, was reminded of a BMW M1 that another neighbor had and basically peed my pants as a kid over that thing. I think I would do the same if I saw one in BKK jap.gif

Edited by jcon

Not in any Tescos I've been to for a while.......Seat Leon Cupra R, recently voted the best hot hatch of all time.

Does it come in a 3-door version? I think that would be cooler... though to be honest I'm not really a fan of the hot hatch. Small cars freak me out (I just got a forwarded email with some pics of the result of a motorcycle hitting a small car at speed - don't want to post here as it would kind of dampen the mood...)

Also, please tell me the car you posted was not an auto transmission (or at least not a full-auto)!!!! Normally I wouldn't ask, but TIT! tongue.gif

edit: What happened to the DeLorean when the shop closed down???

Edited by jcon

Err T/A......did you miss the fact that this car was in the car park at Bira in Thailand and is on UK plates ?

In light of all the negative posts about importing a vehicle here that was what caught my eye, not so much the make and model :P

Oh, no idea what happened to the DeLorean.

Cheers

Err T/A......did you miss the fact that this car was in the car park at Bira in Thailand and is on UK plates ?

In light of all the negative posts about importing a vehicle here that was what caught my eye, not so much the make and model :P

Oh, no idea what happened to the DeLorean.

Cheers

There was a perfect De Lorean at the Bitec Motorshow 18 Months ago, in the classic car section.

Car with UK Plates is possible. A Swiss guy i know had a car with Swiss Plates in Pattaya. You can drive in from Singapore, but after 2 months car has to go out. So go out where? Back to Europe? Long and pricy trip for showing some collector piece to local peaple overhere. BTW, The swiss guy tought he was supersart and never drove the car out from LOS until the cops came and confiscated the car.

All the Swiss are a bit strange ;)

Spotted these two in Sri Racha today, black one obviously a RR, but what is the Yank ? Cadillac ?

Cheers

It's a 74 Cadillac de Ville, i guess!

Edited by stingray

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome vid Hak and great driving thanks for posting !!!!!!!!!!!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

+1 !!!

Cool vid hakku :jap:

Here is a Honda NSX I saw today - haven't seen one in quite some time.... still looks nice after all these years:

post-68285-006455200 1279099006_thumb.jp

If you want to see something distinctly "unexpected" take a look at the "Blower Bentley" in the showroom on the corner of Thepprasit and Sukhumvit. Ok, not quite a "Blower", and not quite a "Bentley", but definitely unusual.

For anyone who doesn't know, Nong Nooch has an interesting car collection - not quite the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu or the Schlumpf Collection, but worth a visit (and a drool!).

If you want to see something distinctly "unexpected" take a look at the "Blower Bentley" in the showroom on the corner of Thepprasit and Sukhumvit. Ok, not quite a "Blower", and not quite a "Bentley", but definitely unusual.

For anyone who doesn't know, Nong Nooch has an interesting car collection - not quite the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu or the Schlumpf Collection, but worth a visit (and a drool!).

The "Blower Bentley" with the Benz Gril and the Jeep front wind shield, they ask over 4 million for it.

There is an indoor place between Thepprasit and Chiayapreuk full of old (60's and earlier) Mercedes-Benz, it has only appeared fairly recently - not sure of the cars are for sale or being stored, place always looks locked up, will try to snap a pic next time I'm passing.

Cheers

There is an indoor place between Thepprasit and Chiayapreuk full of old (60's and earlier) Mercedes-Benz, it has only appeared fairly recently - not sure of the cars are for sale or being stored, place always looks locked up, will try to snap a pic next time I'm passing.

One corner has old Merc's, the other old BMW bikes and a Z3; they first had some there three or four years ago, with some old Thai carts. I believe they are being stored/shown off privately, possibly by the husband of the owner of the "Gecko" light shop who also has a number of old BMW bikes scattered around the shop - not interested in selling!

The "Blower Bentley" with the Benz Gril and the Jeep front wind shield, they ask over 4 million for it.
4 million dong - a bargain!

This is for EvilDrSomkid (hakku too but I think you're more into the "classics" - perhaps this doesn't qualify as a pure Porsche to a purist...)

Unexpected ride? Well maybe not in the USA/Europe - but fun as hel_l in BKK at night...

post-68285-016243100 1279653861_thumb.jp

Took her up to "EvilDrSomkid speeds" tonight ( :P :P ) on the Second Stage ChaengWattana expressway.... top down so I pretended not to hear the nagging passenger :P(err owner)....

I will get my hands on a 911 Carrera 4s this long-weekend in Pranburi so I'll kick it up a class.... and if I'm a super good boy, a 360 Modena Spider...

Now I feel like a grandpa in my RR :(...

must.

work.

harder.

!

Sorry can't edit - my bad. I didn't mean to post that giant picture, I meant to post a video - ugh but none of my icons for anything is working (aka add media, emoticons, bold, font, etc.).... maybe I'll post later next week perhaps when I get a few more videos to make it worthwhile to view. Sorry bout that giant picture though.

Here is another favorite of mine - 430K THB in refurbishment alone, but holy hel_l it's mint now and a beauty.... richardsmith if you want to re-spray your L322, I think I can recommend a guy. But if I were you, I'd pick up one of those horrendous orange/burnt sienna RR Sport Supercharged LRs at a discount (discounted because of the nasty colour) and then re-spray that baby in the white you wanted before.... That way you don't have to ruin the nice black on your L322 RR and you can pick up a Supercharged Sport instead (500+PS and 550+Nm of torque.... wowza!!!) - which It think is better for BKK as it's a bit smaller than your L322. (Yes, I know you posted about re-spraying your a long time ago but I never forget a post about a Range Rover!)

Here is the refurbished P38:

post-68285-097177900 1279659496_thumb.jp