77-year-old motorbike rider dies in front of his home after being hit by a pickup truck in Ban Bueng

webfact

9YQx5MFpvXfibGhT_180616-1-696x392.jpg

PHOTO: Wisarn Sangjaron / Top News

By Goong Nang(GN)

Ban Bueng – A 77-year-old driver has been pronounced dead at the scene directly in front of his house after his motorbike collided with a pickup truck in the Ban Bueng district.

Emergency responders were notified of the accident on the Nong Chark – Hua Goonjae Road in the Nong Chark sub-district over the past weekend. They arrived at the scene to find the damaged motorbike under a black pickup truck.

The body of Mr. Somphon Suyaitham, 77, was found lying on the road. He was believed to have been killed instantly in the accident. Near his body was a sealed box of beer that he had been carrying.

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/01/24/77-year-old-motorbike-rider-dies-in-front-of-his-home-after-being-hit-by-a-pickup-truck-in-ban-bueng/

PattayaNews.jpg

-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-01-25

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Probably explains the accident, driving at speed, wrong side of the road, talking on the phone, no drivers license, tax and insurance.............. 

And the scum is blaming the deceased. Typical Thai male pick-up driver. Causing death by dangerous driving is a common occurrence here unfortunately.

• Like 1
  • Confused 6

10 minutes ago, Maejo Man said:

Why is the pick up on the wrong side of the road?

Passing the other pickup parked facing the wrong way......

I am not sure it is easy to carry a case of beer and drive a motorcycle at the same time .....

What is it with Ban Bueng.... so many of these accidents. Sad....

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Near his body was a sealed box of beer that he had been carrying

What! Do they mean that the impact was so great that the man died instantly, but the box of beer had such quality it was still sealed beside him? Did I read that right?

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Probably explains the accident, driving at speed, wrong side of the road, talking on the phone, no drivers license, tax and insurance.............. 

...move over, I'm coming through...RIP

Edited by tandor

Sealed box of beer, suggests that rider had not frunk any, so cnnot be blame as being drunk.

Pick-up driver, male or female difficult not to e at fault if on the wrong side of he road, even in Thailand.  wife is always telling me that general rule in Thailand is that larger vehicle is always at fault..  What do they say about women drivers?  Even more likely to have been using her phone?

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Typical poster not reading the full story before commenting. The FEMALE driver was 27.

SHE !

So being a Thai female makes it ok to be on the wrong side of the road and kill someone does it ? Typical Thai apologist.

Edited by Excel
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, mancub said:

My guess....they were both overtaking a parked pick-up without being aware of each other's presence, but the poor old boy was on the wrong side of the road.

He would have been if he was in the US but he was on the correct side of the road for Thailand. The pick up was on the incorrect side of the road.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Maejo Man said:

He would have been if he was in the US but he was on the correct side of the road for Thailand. The pick up was on the incorrect side of the road.

Yes, of course, if passing a parked vehicle, it would be. The point of impact damage to the pick-up and the road position suggests the motorcyclist was also on the wrong side. I doubt that neither were going particularly fast nor that the poor old boy was wearing a helmet.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, transam said:
9 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

That's a wild assumption

Yes it's wild but not an assumption. 

Sadly accidents happen too often with my above description. 

It's Thailand, I wish people would be more safety aware when on our roads. 

Too many lives lost. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

8 minutes ago, transam said:

That's a wild assumption....

Yes, assumptions indeed.  Looks as if scooter crossed the path of the truck, since underneath it, and would confirm what driver stated.  Sudden & couldn't stop.  No mention of traffic signal or stop sign, so no implied 'violation' for not stopping for cross traffic, and happening outside home.  

Possible when turning into driveway ?  That's why they're called accidents.  Sure the BIB will sort it out.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, transam said:

Well, you seem to be the "hang 'em high" brigade.....????

Really ? Well I consider causing a death by dangerous driving a despicable act but it appears by your comment you see no problem with it - shameful on your part in my opinion.

• Sad 2

14 hours ago, Maejo Man said:

Why is the pick up on the wrong side of the road?

Swerved to avoid the motorcyclist who had just pulled out in front of her. 

14 hours ago, Excel said:

And the scum is blaming the deceased. Typical Thai male pick-up driver. Causing death by dangerous driving is a common occurrence here unfortunately.

Haha - its a her !!... (27 y/o female) - driving dangerously ?  I’m not sure, the impact damage looks utterly minimal - it certainly does not look as if she were speeding.

Was the old boy wearing a helmet ?...  Could this have been a readily survivable ‘bump’ ? 

14 hours ago, rwill said:

Hard to tell from one still photo what actually occured.  Even though he is on the wrong side of the road it could have been after he swerved to try and avoid him.  Also look at the damage on the truck.  It appears to be on the left side.  It could have been the motorcycle driving the wrong direction.  See them doing that so often.

Hard to say anything for sure without a video.  The truck may have had a camera recording.

This is exactly as my CSI mind imagines (assumes) this accident occurred... of course we do not know. 

What I do know is I witness motorcycles pulling out into traffic all the time. 

What I also witness is ‘older people’ who potter out into traffic and they do so slowly enough that they think everyone else will can can avoid them.