US SSA benefits less than what's supposed to be

FACTOR

I know this is the Thailand forum, but because of the larger number of US expats in Thailand than in Laos, where I live, I thought I'd see if anyone on this forum had some insights into my situation.  Thanks.

I'm receiving my US SSA monthly benefit at the Lao Development Bank. It seems I'm getting a few dollars less than what SSA shows they are sending out to me. I've confirmed with FBU in Manila the amount I am entitled to and confirmed that this is indeed the amount being sent out.  I checked with Lao Development Bank; they say they only take out a $2 service fee. So $15 is going missing somewhere along the line.  The intermediary bank is Standard Chartered in New York. I have no way of contacting them, however, to find out if they take out a service fee.

I know it's not much, but ... 

Any other US expats in Laos (or Thailand) receiving SSA benefits experiencing something similar?

Thanks.

I'm not a American, but I do receive US social security benefits. I have the monthly payment sent to my bank in Canada without any problems and receive the full amount (such as it is).

It sounds like Standard Chartered in New York is taking your $15.00. Why not contact them via email and see if you can get an answer. There is contact information here:

https://www.sc.com/us/contact/

Please let us know what you find out, I'm sure there are others who have this problem.

Paul Laew

You should be able to get a report each month from the receiving bank in laos. That will detail each step the transfer took, any fees (receiving bank) and the exchange rate used.

If you've determined that the missing amount each month is exactly $15 USD then yes, the intermediary bank in NY, Standard Chartered USA is taking a $15 fee.

This document is called a Credit Advice/Receipt here, and shows the amount transferred by the intermediary bank in USD. You can compare that amount to your total net benefit to determine the fee taken.