Thais warned! You can't use your phone while driving even when stopped in traffic or at the lights

webfact

5 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

i have no interest in talking on the phone, especially a mobile.  I've had a land line home phone for maybe 25 years.  My I phone 6 was given to me, and I don't answer it if I'm driving.   I never text, as my fingers are not compatible with the damned touch keypad on these silly phones.

Years back when I was a salesman on the road I would have loved them.  Now I have no need or desire. 

Wow, you seem to be a Saint....????

5 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

In my Benz the engine turns off automatically whenever I stop the vehicle to save on emissions.

No, no, no they just want you to wear out stuff for more repairs or buying a new car sooner than normal.

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, dave moir said:

So if you have passengers in the car they shouldn't be allowed to talk either as it's a distraction!????

Obviously impossible to impose, but I do recall that on many 'single operator' buses in the UK there is a sign that says:

'It is an offence to distract the attention of the driver without due cause'. (or words to that effect)

And there is a good reason for that which we have been discussing.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, smedly said:

this is a serious crime as recognized in developed countries and is the primary cause of many serious accidents and fatalities on the roads, it is right up there with DUI, then you have speeding and reckless driving, behind it all is lack of proper law enforcement 

Drink driving is a far more serious offense when you will be arrested and attracting an immediate driving ban. Getting insurance afterwards will be extremely difficult and expensive.Use of the phone (UK) is a fixed penalty giving points on your licence but no arrest /court appearance . Reckless and Careless driving also mean a court appearance.

6 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

In my Benz the engine turns off automatically whenever I stop the vehicle to save on emissions.

Does this mean I can still play with my phone?

Actually this was raised in UK and the answer is no. The handbrake has to be on,you have to be pulled over  and the foot pedals cannot activate the engine start.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheScience said:

The phone records! Simple.

You have entered this discussion with the mindset that you can ‘set some laws’ and that will solve issues. 

This is the issue itself - those in positions of decision making power make announcements all the time...  then account that people can't use their phone, they announce a crack-down, they announce that motorcyclist must wear their helmets, they announce a crack-down, they announce no more tolerance for DUI, they announce a crack-down... and so on.

There is an extreme degree of hubris in those who think they can ‘change’ a whole culture overnight.

It is culture that needs shifting, a whole cultural shift to one of social responsibility needs to be applied. 

People need to understand that they are responsible for the safety of others, that they are accountable, that accountability is enforced by those who are incorruptible. 

From the perspective of being law-abiding citizens Thailand is broken...  That said, it is a testament to Thai’s and Thai society itself that that people are otherwise generally so friendly and pleasant to be around... this is simply down to the good nature of Thai’s... its cultural...  however, part of that culture needs a shift towards one of being responsible and not just ‘jai-yen’.... 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Havnern said:

Hmmmm... so no more navigating on google maps?

Well, thats something I actually do do here and I know its not legal in the UK..

Or rather, you can use Google Maps on your phone, but the phone has to be mounted (UK law).

In Thailand I don’t have a phone mount in my car.

I use google maps as the Sat-Nav can be a bit of pain in the backside to plug in the correct location. 

More modern cars don’t have Sat-nav and mirror the Phones google Maps on the in-car screen - this is a good solution IMO (some prefer a standalone sat-nav though).

One of the traffic lights I drive through regularly has a countdown of 300 seconds. I have the choice of a power nap, painstakingly watching the seconds count down, get out of the car and stretch my legs, or check my phone. I do what I expect any normal person here would do. 

• Like 1

I say give the police even more power to fleece the public. If you are commuting the terrible crime of talking on the phone you should be shot, skinned and then everything you owned goes to Joe Ferrari to pay his legal bills. At least it’s a slight distraction from all of the crying and gnashing of teeth of the covid worries, begging for more masking and boosters. 

This has to be a joke. So much idiocy here with this report. So many people use the phones especially on motorbikes. They don't care about any of the laws like the main law of having a license to drive, the use of helmets on motorbikes, seat belts in cars. The police don't give a <deleted>, so why would the people here care if there is a law about using phones, most people don't obey the laws.  Also of all the government departments, why is the Thailand's Anti-Fake News Center giving this warning?