Thais warned! You can't use your phone while driving even when stopped in traffic or at the lights

webfact

4 minutes ago, TheScience said:

Whatever. Your method has / is in place and it's clearly not working. Fines will never, ever change behavior.

You are thinking like a dinosaur.

Thailand has had fines since forever. Even the cops have no regard for traffic law.

LOS have NEVER had suitable fines, in fact last year they reduced some.....????

You may think I am a dinosaur, but at least l have an idea regarding LOS folk thought.????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

do you really think a lowly policeman is going to lock up the driver of a Benz S500

True and no.

That's why they need a special elite traffic force. I'm dead serious. Give them a grounding in traffic law and pay them well. Moreover, if they are found to be corrupt let hell rain down upon them

Singapore did it.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TheScience said:

True and no.

That's why they need a special elite traffic force. I'm dead serious. Give them a grounding in traffic law and pay them well. Moreover, if they are found to be corrupt let hell rain down upon them

Singapore did it.

Hey, the police take care of underage kids on motorcyles to get into their school gates...????

Special Elite Force......????

SAS.jpg.f30f63922a11676ed267150f8f09467c.jpg

4 hours ago, smedly said:

laws have to make sense, there should be no need to touch a phone when driving - calls only hands free with integrated BT, surfing Facebook or messaging is very obviously problematic

i use my phone as a gps..google maps ect ?

It's still LOS, but these days of Covid lockdowns and deprivation and runaway inflation coupled with Government deceit causing massive reduction in available pork ribs for Bar-B-Q's and those only available at double the price LOS stands for Land of Scowls.

While having a moan, just finally getting over chronic and acute diarrhea with severe cramps that lasted over a month and which, had Anutin not banned Disento "for our own good as it had antibiotics we were abusing", would only have lasted a day or so! Alternatives proving, like the Government, to be totally ineffective. 

Back on topic - surprised no one is talking about banning Tom Tom and Garmin GPS units with their visible mapping displays and audio messages which, certainly in parts of BKK's ultra confusing traffic layouts require extreme concentration to follow. What about those cell-phone mapping apps? My wife uses them a lot, phone on her lap giving directions in Thai, at least my TomTom is stuck to the screen in front of me!

Hello, they can’t even enforce a simple helmet law. Food delivery madmen zoom around heeding no traffic laws whatsoever, throttle in one hand, phone in the other. Get real, this will never be enforced unless a cop sees a farang doing so and smells money.

2 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Can police see someone using their phone at 90 kph through the darkened windows?

If I can, they can.

I see drivers all the time at lights using their phone. I drive or ride past cars and see other drivers using their phones in their car while driving.  I see motorcyclists using their phone while riding one handed. 

Whenever on the roads we all see other drivers and riders using their phone while driving / riding.

If we see it, so do the police.

The issue is that the Police are lazy with the juvenile minds of a children, they don’t really want to deal with the conflict of stopping drivers for an infraction neither they nor the driver considers serious (this is where education comes into it)...  Patrolling takes effort, dealing with conflict and pulling over drivers takes effort.... 

I normally don’t respond to many of these topics I read but this one topic almost gave me a heart attack from laughter.

I do apologize as I know using any type of media device in your hand while driving is an accident waiting to happen. The wife is a scary driver as it is but once the phone is in her hand all bets are off. I honestly don’t believe it is possible to change the current situation with cell phones unless there is some radical changes to law enforcement, as it stands there is a very little if any enforcement of drivers following the law.

4 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

This has to be fake news, it is hard to spot anyone driving cars or riding bikes who is not on the phone these days .......................LOL

You can't spot them anyway because they all have their windows blacked out.

4 hours ago, Moonlover said:

This is called 'distracted driving' and has been shown to be just as dangerous as using a handheld set. The driver's mind should be 100% on the task of driving.

I agree with @userabcd, their use should be banned altogether.

So if you have passengers in the car they shouldn't be allowed to talk either as it's a distraction!????

• Haha 1

"Thais warned! You can't use your phone while driving even when stopped in traffic or at the lights"

I'm a farang so does that mean the rules don't apply to me? ????

Or does it mean that they haven't quite worked out how much the fines will be?

9 minutes ago, Joeb said:

You can't spot them anyway because they all have their windows blacked out.

Well in many cases they easily be spotted... 

Additionally.... when the windows are too dark, thats another infraction - so the drivers need to be pulled up for breaking that law.

How many motorcyclists and pedestrians are killed each year because the ‘tint’ is too dark and the driver failed to see the victims ?

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

I wouldn't do it but no enforcement anyway. So why would someone care?

I've never seen a police car on patrol duty, not to mention the illegal dark tinted windows making it impossible to look inside your vehicle.

5 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Rubbish. mine is Bluetoothed to the radio, answers automatically, no hands needed.

It's probably more dangerous/distracting following Google Maps than having a phone conversation.

Hands on or off is not what causes accidents.

Driver included phone conversations in cars are the real problem.

See if you can work out why by comparing their random structure, about anything and with anyone, and its potential for dangerous loss of concentration, with conversations which are virtually pre-programmed, in aircraft, about the activity of flying the aircraft, between pilots and the only agency they are likely to be talking to beyond the cockpit......ATC.

Do not try to do it while you are driving.

Edited by Enoon

It makes sense to stop people holding their phones, looking for texts or phone numbers. Most modern cars allow phones to give directions without touching the phone itself. A button on the steering wheel answers calls. Usually I just say I am driving and will call back. People do understand.

Edited by Purdey
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

In my Benz the engine turns off automatically whenever I stop the vehicle to save on emissions.

Does this mean I can still play with my phone?

No it means you need to learn to hit the auto stop button and deactivate that scourge of modern technology

They can pass any law they want in the land of scofflaws, it's not gonna make a significant impact, if any at all. I remember when they passed the 'only hands free' calls allowed law, I had a feeling that not fewer but more motorists had their phones in their hands. Probably only because I was paying more attention, but in definitely didn't make a noticeable difference.