Thais warned! You can't use your phone while driving even when stopped in traffic or at the lights

webfact

7 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

My I phone 6 was given to me, and I don't answer it if I'm driving.

Then turn it off so the ringing will not distract you from driving.

But if you DID have an accident caused by the phone, blame the person who gave it to you. 

7 hours ago, smedly said:

this is a serious crime as recognized in developed countries and is the primary cause of many serious accidents and fatalities on the roads, it is right up there with DUI, then you have speeding and reckless driving, behind it all is lack of proper law enforcement 

Yes, as you write, "in developed countries".

8 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

In my Benz the engine turns off automatically whenever I stop the vehicle to save on emissions.

Does this mean I can still play with my phone?

No, but there is other things to play with ????

8 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

In my Benz the engine turns off automatically whenever I stop the vehicle to save on emissions.

8 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

In one of my cars I installed a 10" Samsung Tablet as the entertainment head unit.

What phone ? !!

You've got Benz.

Most traffic laws don't include you anyways.

Just disregard the law and continue on.

• Haha 1

Only holding the phone in your hand, in a car, in my country. Cost you 17000 baht.

Already heard something about fining if phone is on co drivers seat. So temptation is now also to be fined?!

On a bike it cost you only 10000 baht. Sadly for walking people, no fine.

The police force here is focused on ANYTHING which can bring in fines, in fact as policeman you get a bad evaluation if you dont do the rate of fines/month. They must ! And they are really hunting . Of course it can help for traffic, but it is merely done for cash flow to government. And the fines get bigger and bigger for everything.

If you want to race, you have to go to Germany. However a guy in a Bugatti, this week, did 414 km/h on the "Autobahn" and now is disputed  if he should get a fine. 

I agree about phones, in the beginning when there was not even internet on it, i did sometimes, but stopped with that.

It is too dangerous, you are distracted.

When i do shopping, i see sometimes people, specially men, they are shopping with phone and have to ask their partner what to buy then, really, how stupid and addicted can you be. 

9 hours ago, smedly said:

laws have to make sense, there should be no need to touch a phone when driving - calls only hands free with integrated BT, surfing Facebook or messaging is very obviously problematic

Yes, talking on the phone while driving should be reserved for the rich. 

9 hours ago, smedly said:

this is a serious crime as recognized in developed countries and is the primary cause of many serious accidents and fatalities on the roads, it is right up there with DUI, then you have speeding and reckless driving, behind it all is lack of proper law enforcement 

In all states of Auatralia it's recognized as a serious crime with serious penalties.

Plus there are many special cameras programmed to look for phones. If the camera catches you you're gone. 

Get caught a second time and the fine goes way up. In some states get caught a third time and you can lose your driving license. 

It's standard for passengers who catch taxi drivers using phone in some way to call police or taxi company and report the driver. Bus etc., drivers caught face instant loss of all driving licenses. 

13 minutes ago, scorecard said:

In all states of Auatralia it's recognized as a serious crime with serious penalties.

Plus there are many special cameras programmed to look for phones. If the camera catches you you're gone. 

Get caught a second time and the fine goes way up. In some states get caught a third time and you can lose your driving license. 

It's standard for passengers who catch taxi drivers using phone in some way to call police or taxi company and report the driver. Bus etc., drivers caught face instant loss of all driving licenses. 

This aint Australia or anywhere else for that matter which is why we love it ...leave the control and laws behind you and relax ...

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

It is not true that your engine turns off automatically. It temporarily stops to reduce emissions as you note, but a movement of the steering wheel, amongst other things, is enough to restart it. If you think your engine is turned off maybe you shouldn't be driving.

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, chrisbangkok said:

This aint Australia or anywhere else for that matter which is why we love it ...leave the control and laws behind you and relax ...

Maybe you 'love it'.

Many don't, and I'm all for rules/actions which reduce the road toll.

And I'm hoping by the time my Thai grandhcildren are adults there will be many initiatives which have reduced the road toll and strongly increased the desire for knowing and following laws and regulations and standard application of laws in all provinces.

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

You must be proud. 

Before they start worrying about phones being used...maybe start making sure the vehicles on the road are serviced and you know small things like brakes which work, Tyres with a tread, and stickers not plastered over the windscreen leaving the narrowest of gaps for the driver to peek through.  

• Like 1

So lets get it straight. You can put your phone on a holder and use it for radio, GPS, Google Maps, hands-free calls and voice activated messaging...BUT hold it in your hand and, if a passing copper sees through your tinted windows, and of course must be travelling faster than you, you can be nabbed.

3 hours ago, Havnern said:

Hmmmm... so no more navigating on google maps?

On the rare occasions when I do use google maps for navigation whilst riding, I have the phone in a pocket and I follow the voice instructions via ear buds. It works just fine so there is no need to look at the phone at all.

Most cars are heavily tinted making it near impossible to see anything inside. Seeing how the obvious infractions go unpunished how do they expect the less obvious ones to be spotted let alone punished? You could be jerking yourself at the lights and not get noticed. Love the freedom in this country. 

Edited by AustinRacing

"Thais warned! You can't use your phone while driving even when stopped in traffic or at the lights"

I am glad that the double standard applies here. It is the first time that it is the favour of the foreigners as we are allowed to use our phones while driving or at stop?traffic light

Ohhh....wait...maybe it means that only the Thai people are warned....the rest of us will be immediately fined without a warning ????