Thais warned! You can't use your phone while driving even when stopped in traffic or at the lights

webfact

41 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Sadly those freedoms come at the cost of innocent people….…

…. As the family abc friends of a Dr who recently crossed the road can attest….  And many many more…. 

Everything comes with a cost, yes?

Oh really?! You would never know it is illegal if you rode a bike every day around BKK like I do and saw 9 out of ten riders and drivers constantly on their phones and driving like MORONS who shouldn't be allowed to use a skateboard, is it any wonder the road toll of deaths is so high!?

STOP the pulling out in front of ongoing traffic STUPIDITY, it's a MAFIA like tactic saying "I'm more important than you, so stop and let me interrupt the flow of traffic".

But it's okay to pull out in front of traffic and block a lane while trying to make a u-turn and it's still okay to drive on the shoulder when there is a traffic jam so you can get ahead and then merge back in later to worsen  the jam. It's okay not still not to stop at zebra crossings and it's still okay to bribe cops. 

14 hours ago, smedly said:

this is a serious crime as recognized in developed countries and is the primary cause of many serious accidents and fatalities on the roads, it is right up there with DUI, then you have speeding and reckless driving, behind it all is lack of proper law enforcement 

And that paltry 400 to 1000 baht fine won't dissuade anyone

3 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

image.png.ec72bd04281803947b39da57cb24e8b1.png  https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e6/Thai_Policeman_on_Motorbike_with_Cellphone_-_Pattaya_Thailand.jpg/463px-Thai_Policeman_on_Motorbike_with_Cellphone_-_Pattaya_Thailand.jpg

Obviously checking with their missus before they get to the supermarket so that xtrnuno41 doesn’t think they are stupid and addicted.....????

5 hours ago, xtrnuno41 said:

When i do shopping, i see sometimes people, specially men, they are shopping with phone and have to ask their partner what to buy then, really, how stupid and addicted can you be. 

My Jag (in the UK) had a sim card phone that worked through the music system with a mic above the driver's seat and an "answer button" on the steering wheel. It was no more distraction than talking to a passenger, in fact it was easier to shut up them up!

The car my missus uses (in Bangkok) has the "blackout windows" like most cars in Thailand, so how are the police going to know what is going on inside?

20 hours ago, smedly said:

this is a serious crime as recognized in developed countries and is the primary cause of many serious accidents and fatalities on the roads, it is right up there with DUI, then you have speeding and reckless driving, behind it all is lack of proper law enforcement 

Hope they will also issue a similar picture to motor bike riders and let them know that the law also applies to them.

24 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

What difference does it make if the windows are blacked out? Does everyone here only follow the law out of fear of prosecution?

By and large, it seems most people abide the law. 

I'm fairly law abiding myself.  Though TBO, I violate more than a few laws, traffic & others, but 'safely'.

Have yet to have on oops or incident because of, but do proceed with well thought out caution.

15 minutes ago, garygooner said:

So many warnings, but nothing is ever done. Yesterday I took a motorbike taxi in BK & the rider was doing 40kph while scrolling on his phone. TIT. 

You could have told him to stop and got off. 

Oh, you mean you want someone besides you to do something about it. 

I don't have a problem with the idea; it is the law in the UK, and I think it is a common sense ruling. 

However,  the first logical step towards this, would be to outlaw heavily blacked out windows. 

The second would be to outlaw the phrase, "Do you know who I am?", usage of which, should automatically result in a trebling of the fine!

But hey. Remember I wrote, 'the first logical step',

So, let's all go back to our morning coffee!

• 1 month later...

Yep, As in developed countries if an accident occurs at the 1st the mobile phone companies are contacted to see if the person driving was in fact using their phone at the time of the accident. If they were they can also be told as to what they were doing on the phone at the time of the accident, this can shift the blame 100% on the phone user. Therefore liability can only go one way:-)

2 hours ago, Barefootknobby said:

Yep, As in developed countries if an accident occurs at the 1st the mobile phone companies are contacted to see if the person driving was in fact using their phone at the time of the accident. If they were they can also be told as to what they were doing on the phone at the time of the accident, this can shift the blame 100% on the phone user. Therefore liability can only go one way:-)

So if someone is talking on their phone when a drunk-driver runs a red-light and broadsides them, the drunk gets a pass, sweet!

On 1/26/2022 at 10:47 AM, userabcd said:

It should, the other day standing on the sidewalk in phrakanong observed a foreigner on a motorcycle turning out of one of the small sois, he had a baby in the crook of his left arm and was holding a mobile phone in his right fingers whilst manipulating the accelerator, the lady on the pillion seat was looking at her phone...and on all of them not a helmet in sight.

Just downright criminal.

Great fun, freedom independence and balance