Thais warned! You can't use your phone while driving even when stopped in traffic or at the lights

webfact

3 minutes ago, userabcd said:

It should, the other day standing on the sidewalk in phrakanong observed a foreigner on a motorcycle turning out of one of the small sois, he had a baby in the crook of his left arm and was holding a mobile phone in his right fingers whilst manipulating the accelerator, the lady on the pillion seat was looking at her phone...and on all of them not a helmet in sight.

Just downright criminal.

I wrote in jest. Your incident illustrates the point I was making.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

It wasn't me, it was userabcd ( imaginative user name!)

If the phone is Bluetoothed to the radio, answers automatically, then I think it's OK. Most, if not all, car radios and phones have this facility these days.

''( imaginative user name!)''

Nobody actually cares, does it bother you?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Spotted and corrected, but I still disagree with you as you can see above.

The only solution then would be to only allow the drive in the vehicle, with no music or radio as that is distracting.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, herfiehandbag said:

If it was visible to, and able to be used by the driver then it was just plain stupid. As for boasting about it...

Highly visible, angled slightly toward the driver to make watching youtube vids better.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

If it was visible to, and able to be used by the driver then it was just plain stupid. As for boasting about it...

So what about the multi display touch screens fitted in the dashboard of all cars these days. 

1 hour ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

In my Benz the engine turns off automatically whenever I stop the vehicle to save on emissions.

Does this mean I can still play with my phone?

NO ...  ours runs on battery a lot of the time and the answer is still NO. 

Anyway you have hands free operation available .. if you dont know, how PM me and i'll walk you throug it ... 555

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Geoffggi said:

This has to be fake news, it is hard to spot anyone driving cars or riding bikes who is not on the phone these days .......................LOL

In Thailand yes. I was surprised to find it was not the case in other supposedly undisciplined countries like Brazil or Peru.

52 minutes ago, Guderian said:

If this is the case then there's no point in pulling over and stopping to take a phone call, which is what I always do, now I may as well just take the call while I'm driving since the penalty will be the same in the unlikely event that a cop, who's not checking out his phone while on his motorbike, spots me.

Not sure what you're referring to - that's what the official advice in the article says you should do:

"You should [..] park somewhere if you need to use the phone."

It's only if you're actually stopped in traffic (i.e. still in a traffic lane) or at a red light that they're saying it's illegal to use your phone.

18 minutes ago, userabcd said:

It should, the other day standing on the sidewalk in phrakanong observed a foreigner on a motorcycle turning out of one of the small sois, he had a baby in the crook of his left arm and was holding a mobile phone in his right fingers whilst manipulating the accelerator, the lady on the pillion seat was looking at her phone...and on all of them not a helmet in sight.

Just downright criminal.

Ridiculous, the kid could have held the phone, allowing the rider to free up an arm.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

But if you're going to enforce that, then logically you should also make it illegal to talk to a passenger while driving. If the phone is completely hands-free there's no difference between talking on the phone or talking to a passenger.

Err, let's just get real shall we? ????

Although having said that, I refuse to drive here now. And the main reason is the incessant noise that Thais make with their constant nattering. I do wonder how many accidents come about due to drivers being distracted by their noisy passengers.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

6 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Although having said that, I refuse to drive here now. And the main reason is the incessant noise that Thais make with their constant nattering. I do wonder how many accidents come about due to drivers being distracted by their noisy passengers.

Not sure what you mean. I'm pointing out the illogicality of banning hands-free phone use.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

And if you are driving alone? Oh no, you refuse to drive now! 

• Haha 1

Can someone tell the cops about this law please.

And is there something like dereliction of duty if Thai police officers just don't care?

We would have a lot less accidents and a lot less dead people from accidents if the police would enforce the rules at least from time to time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

using a phone or communication device while driving is illegal

Early this morning I was stopped at the red traffic light (Pattaya Klang), I had 2 marked motorbike police in front of me and 1 behind me, they were on their way to the assembly point on beach road to start work.

Beside me was a guy on a 3 wheeled Honda Wave with his food on board checking his phone.

The lights turned green, as we took off he was still looking at his phone, the cop adjacent did nothing, he was beside him for 50 meters, the Honda Wave guy still looking at his phone.

It's a little unfair and hurtful because these same cops pulled me over in the past and gave me a ticket. It's so sad that the cops don't understand everyone needs a ticket if breaking the law, this is educational, road users learn to obey the road rules, which will result in less accidents, less deaths, less pain and suffering for the family and friends of those who die or get injured. 

Hands-free phones IMO are OK, it should be possible for people to be able to talk, breathe and drive contemporaneously.

Studies have shown using one's hands with a phone has the same impairment level as drink driving.

It's no wonder Thailand has so many motorcycle fatalities, using a phone on one of them is probably a lot more hazardous than using one inside a car.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, userabcd said:

Mobile phones should be banned from motorvehicles altogether.

What rot! Amongst other things I have a very good GPS app on the phone with a HUD function. Just sit it on the dash and displays (reflects) critical information onto the windscreen. Sygic Car Navigation.

• Like 2

If drivers make phone calls, write messages or play games while driving, this is immediately noticeable in their driving style. Many slow down, lose lane, brake for no reason, or brake too late. But the culmination of stupidity are the motorcyclists who are on the phone while driving, with one hand on the handlebar and the other hand on the cell phone to the ear. If they suddenly have to react quickly, they are lost.

Driving a vehicle correctly also has a lot to do with intelligence. And that's what many lack.

• Thanks 1