Just was told at Hua Hin immigration I need a one time transfer or 800,000 baht into my Thai bank account for Non-O visa!

Of course, if the OP has a spare 800k he could call their bluff, make the deposit then withdraw it after they've granted the 'visa'.

More realistically rather than go full-on like 'Greenmonkey' I would take the official requirements linked by Ubonjoe and use it as a basis for negotiation, as DrJack's post suggests you can get away with 5,500Baht by dealing direct rather than through an agent.

Edited by Eff1n2ret
  • Like 1

OP, if indeed HH immigration do not change their opinion regarding the money in the bank (extortion) you have few options.

1.Call help line 1178.

2.Transfer the funds (extra 400k) and if that occurs you may as well do extension retirement. 

Obviously first step is to plead case that the 800k is bs.

Do not use an agent. Certainly not at the price you mentioned.

You meet the requirements.

Have another crack. Please report outcome. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

Been in Thailand for 21 yrs, and have never used an agent.  HH Imm next month for my 5th extension there.

I don't know anyone who uses  an agent.   Obviously we travel in different circles.

Read my earlier post re HH requiring email from embassy.

Not just the affidavit for covid extension. 

As a result was forced to use agent.

I realize this thread is about non O marriage. 

What circle is the OP traveling in that is causing issue with HH immigration. 

• Like 2

Changed from O-A retirement to O-A marriage extension for past 3 yrs. Udon. Need to take wife & witness with. They haven't ask for insurance although we have Aetna 500k baht family plan. No parked money in thai bank, i show the monthly transfer of well over 60k baht with 1 yr. bank statement showing code for foreign transfer, bank book, map to house, 2k baht. Pick up visa after 3 weeks. Of course, this is subject to change on a whim at any time

2 minutes ago, thaivisareader said:

Changed from O-A retirement to O-A marriage extension for past 3 yrs. Udon. Need to take wife & witness with. They haven't ask for insurance although we have Aetna 500k baht family plan. No parked money in thai bank, i show the monthly transfer of well over 60k baht with 1 yr. bank statement showing code for foreign transfer, bank book, map to house, 2k baht. Pick up visa after 3 weeks. Of course, this is subject to change on a whim at any time

Relevance?.

The OP, is using money in the bank method.

Also he deals with Hua Hin.

You use income method. 

You deal with UT. 

So......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

English alphabet used on road sign, street signs. Hmmmm wonder why that is?  

If you are going to denigrate the country where you are a guest, best to get tour facts straight when trying to "educate" them. 

Latin alphabet, actually, from which English takes its letters and those letters are used on many road signs in English in Thailand to help visitors. 

Does your Country have signs in other languages to help visitors?

PH

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

A checklist in Thai, ahahaa Same as me in Rayong, they gave me a list in Thai and told me next time bring the wife. Can't the idiot IO's think that perhaps one in english might be better, that is if they truly want to assist.

Im fairness you are in Thailand so a document in Thai is a possability. Just translate it on your phone!

1 hour ago, glegolo18 said:

Doesn´t it trouble you or make you wonder, how people working inside thai Immigration, announce and direct information towards foreigners, seemingly seems to refuse to use the english language...

I mean it is like in Sweden the migrant office would purely use swedish and force any foreigner to learn swedish before they hardly even sat foot in the country....  If you find that OK, than I can say...... I do NOT.

glegolo

On that logic, it would be reasonable to expect US Immigration to speak Chinese, Hindi and Spanish. After all, they are the most frequently spoken languages after English.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gizmosgolf said:

I really appreciate all the useful info. (Obvious reference to language gripe! 55555)

We will return tomorrow, bypass the two ladies downstairs and go upstairs with the paperwork. I am very aware of the "Thai face" issue as well as not losing my cool. I will have the requirements printed out and big hi-light marker checks next to each of them. I will report back on how it goes. 

Is 1178 "help line" specific to immigration or is this a general help line along the lines of Tourist Police. 

Immigration hotline. They are usually very good and good English!!

9 minutes ago, Gizmosgolf said:

We will return tomorrow, bypass the two ladies downstairs and go upstairs with the paperwork.

OP, interested in this latest info.

It's not uncommon for the "check list chicks" to have no idea.

Get to an actual io at desk and my guess will be all good. 

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It seems there was some confusion about what the basis was for your non-o visa application.

You only need for 400k baht in the bank on the day you apply based upon marriage to a Thai.

Here is the requirments from the immigration website. https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/6-สมรส-รหัสO.pdf

Had marriage visa for 3 years now. It's always been 400k in the bank 2 MONTHS before visa renewal, with letter from bank (100 baht), copies of all pages of bank book and 2 months printed statements (part of the 100 baht charge by bank). Bank letter and everything else cannot be more than 3 days old (2 days sometimes, depending on their mood). Also need a new copy of marriage license (the wife can get that on her own for 20 baht). This must be within 60 days.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Woof999 said:

Had marriage visa for 3 years now. It's always been 400k in the bank 2 MONTHS before visa renewal, with letter from bank (100 baht), copies of all pages of bank book and 2 months printed statements (part of the 100 baht charge by bank). Bank letter and everything else cannot be more than 3 days old (2 days sometimes, depending on their mood). Also need a new copy of marriage license (the wife can get that on her own for 20 baht). This must be within 60 days.

Your typing about extension. 

The OP is not applying for extension.

He is applying for Non O based on marriage. 

BTW you haven't had marriage visa. No such thing.

You have had 3 years of extensions based on marriage. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

You typing about extension. 

The OP is not applying for extension.

He is applying for Non O based on marriage. 

I was, but the initial requirements to change tourist visa to marriage visa was the same (at the time at least).

You don't say what kind of bank account you have. Is it an account in your namen alone or is it one on your name and your wife's namen ( a joint account)? In case it is only in your name it will be 400K, in case it is a joint account it will be 800K.

5 minutes ago, Woof999 said:

I was, but the initial requirements to change tourist visa to marriage visa was the same (at the time at least).

It's tourist visa to Non O.

The requirement for Non O marriage (using money in bank method) is that the 400k needs to be in Thai bank account on day of application only.

When applying for extension based on marriage the 400k must have been in the bank for 2 months prior to application. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

It's tourist visa to Non O.

The requirement for Non O marriage (using money in bank method) is that the 400k needs to be in Thai bank account on day of application only.

When applying for extension based on marriage the 400k must have been in the bank for 2 months prior to application. 

Aha ok thanks. I do remember at the time that the bank and immigration office put me in a catch 22. Immigration said I needed a Thai bank account before I could apply for the visa and the bank (many of them on at least 5 visits) told me I needed the visa before I could get the bank account.

I finally went to the bank with every bit of paperwork you could possibly imagine and the guy said... "All I need is your passport because you are married".

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Woof999 said:

I do remember at the time that the bank and immigration office put me in a catch 22. Immigration said I needed a Thai bank account before I could apply for the visa and the bank (many of them on at least 5 visits) told me I needed the visa before I could get the bank account.

This is very common.

Many reports of the farang needing bank account for Non O retirement.

First question from bank Clerk...

"Where is your work permit" 

Answer..." But miss I'm retired work not permitted" 

Catch 22 indeed.

For anyone in this situation an agent to assist with opening Bank account good idea. 

2 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

What other language should they learn as most people who come here don't speak English

55555 what would make u say most visitors do not speak English. Even Thai government allows many documents to be submitted in English or Thai, but no other language.

4 minutes ago, alextrat1966 said:

You're in Thailand, boy. 

You think when a Thai goes to live in the UK or the US, they get checklists printed in Thai from immigration, or even get spoken to in Thai? 

If you're here longterm, and have a wife, is it that difficult to learn Thai?

I can speak a fair amount of Thai, but have zero reading skills, as for the checklist, I simply asked my wife to translate and she did,  but would it be so much trouble for them to have the checklist in English?  Their immigration websites are in English, why not their handouts? 

https://www.immigration.go.th/en/?p=14714

As for when Thais go overseas, when my wife went for her tourist visa interview with the US Embassy in BKK the US workers spoke fluent Thai with her, so there's that.