Just was told at Hua Hin immigration I need a one time transfer or 800,000 baht into my Thai bank account for Non-O visa!

11 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

Also the requirement to "have a wife". I do, she's not Thai, do I need to leave?

No, but perhaps you should go back to school and learn english first properly. 

I said having a Thai wife is even more of a reason to learn Thai. My wife is also not Thai btw ????

you’re making up the rest

Edited by alextrat1966

6 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Learn the language if you want to live here.

Most of us have non-immigrant status, we are not residents, just tourists. You forgot that ?

Why should tourists learn the language they visit, do Thai and Chinese tourists have to learn the language of your home country when they visit your country ?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, mosan said:

Who's the idiot here? I'm guessing you know how to get something translated. Their native language is Thai not English...  

Online it's both English and Thai, how hard would that be for them to print out. I don't have a little lady holding my hand as I do business. 

1 hour ago, alextrat1966 said:

Not hard enough, apparently.

In fairness, especially if people are older and have impaired hearing, learning a new language can be very difficult. I know enough Thai spoken and written, to get by. However, I would struggle if I was starting from scratch now.

Have been dealing with hh immigration on and off for 12 years. 

My experience is that if you have all your ducks in a row correctly, they will do it by the book. 

You can get the letter from the embassy very easily and is easier than filling out more paperwork. 

Highly advise avoiding counter 4,the young guy is enthusiastic about enforcement and agent fees. 

You can take 2-3 tickets and just ignore him if he calls your number. 

Counter 2/3 are best, the old guy and nuch are very helpful and although both have agent contacts, both are honest and useful. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Learn the language if you want to live here.

Waste of time, if it was not I have a GF here, I would have been on my way to Mauritius by now ????

I might bring my gf in the future to a new destination. I really do not have high hopes for Asia in The future, hope I'm wrong

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, JeffCordeiro said:

They gave my wife a small photocopied list of requirements and one was 800,000 baht! Clearly they have just made this requirement up! I completely agree that they are just trying to get me to pay a bribe or use an agent! (I did contact an agent and they quoted me 21,000 baht) My problem now is how to move forward! My lovely but brainwashed Isaan wife won’t question authority and I know enough 

Where is your wife from? Up country is a bit easier some places, but I had only good experience with His Hin when I lived there. 

Guessing there was a misunderstanding between Non O Retirement and Marriage easily sorted out. 

Over 6 years my experience with Immigration office Udon Thani is excellent. Every member of the staff I’ve dealt with have been very helpful and considerate. 

Hopefully I don’t stir the angry pot.. but let’s try and be thoughtful and not call people names demeaning them.. . It only make situations more intense.... Thanks and enjoy the day.... 

... When US Embassy stopped issuing Income affidavits .... if I remember correctly the notice basically 

said we know from comments it’s considered by some a pain in the rear and costly to go get the Income letter .. IMO be cautious what you ask for and yes some people working at Embassy, Gov.

angency read the forum.. 

On 1/26/2022 at 11:38 AM, DrJack54 said:

I did read report of exactly what you state.

Was upcountry not HH but clearly some offices allow a joint account as long as it has 800k.

I would love if that was available for retirement extensions. 

Joint account for retirement will need 1.6 Million

18 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Of course but that option is not available anywhere

I have seen report of some offices accepting a joint account that had 1.6 million for a married couple applying for extensions based upon retirement.

11 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I have seen report of some offices accepting a joint account that had 1.6 million for a married couple applying for extensions based upon retirement.

Really surprised. Haven't seen any. Possible only available if married, even if extension based on retirement. 

Think would be excellent option.

Just now discussing with partner (not married) the need to make a Will in order for her to have access to my "retirement extension" bank account.

A joint account of 1.6 mil would be great. Unfortunately not available at CW. 

Edited by DrJack54

I'm very surprised that nobody has caught this yet (UbonJoe)?

The OP said he arrived on a Tourist Visa and wants to change to a NON-O visa within Thailand.

I believe that does indeed require 800,000 baht on the day of application. Then once he has been granted the NON-O visa, he can apply for an Extension of Stay (married to Thai National) which requires only 400k baht held for 2 months prior to submitting the application.

Edited by khunjake

14 minutes ago, khunjake said:

I believe that does indeed require 800,000 baht on the day of application

I stated this on page 2...

"2.Transfer the funds (extra 400k) and if that occurs you may as well do extension retirement.".

Not sure but think if he obtains the Non O based on retirement the io will make him do extension based on retirement.

Can change to marriage following year. 

Edited by DrJack54

29 minutes ago, khunjake said:

I'm very surprised that nobody has caught this yet (UbonJoe)?

The OP said he arrived on a Tourist Visa and wants to change to a NON-O visa within Thailand.

I assume you did not read my post on page one.

On 1/26/2022 at 6:02 PM, worrab said:

I have been using Hua Hin Immigration for a number of years and this does surprise me. Never used an agent as the IOs there are all easy to get on with. I would suggest that the person concerned downstairs completely misread the situation and it would have been better to just go upstairs and speak with one of the proper IOs. There is one who normally sits on the far left as you walk in and he is very easy to get on with. As he speaks reasonable English, he would have seen if you did indeed have a problem.

Never heard of bribes or many agents being involved as they are probably one of the best Offices in Thailand but I could be wrong.

Well worrab, your experience is entirely different from mine. I've been there 6 times by now and the only time it was painless and quick when it was handled by the young officer you mention. IMO the worst are the two female IO's, I have been sent back for just stupid things, like she couldn't see the roof of my house in the photo.... although it was perfectly OK on previous occasions. And you know where I live, 2.5 hours drive each way. The fat one asked for 500 baht to transfer visa to my new passport, although it is FOC. So now you've heard of bribes.

The absolutely worst was when we applied for married extension for the fist time, the Lawrence IO that handled our application made us wait through the lunch, and when we came back he said smiling in Thai to my wife that he will keep us until they close, for no reason at all. Fortunately he's no longer there....

The best office IMO is the small one in SingKhon where I go for 90 days. Always smiling and joking. And even with a stack of Myanmar passports to process they will always service me first. In and out in 1 minute. Unfortunately, they don't do extensions...

Edited by SpaceKadet