Royal Thai Police to consider removing crosswalk at Kidney Institute Hospital following fatal road accident in Bangkok

webfact

aHR0cHM6Ly9zLmlzYW5vb2suY29tL25zLzAvdWQvMTcwMS84NTA4ODc4LzEwNjcyNDAuanBn-696x522.jpg

By  Nop Meechukhun

Bangkok – The Royal Thai Police is planning to discuss with the Bhumirajanagarindra Kidney Institute Hospital regarding the removal of a pedestrian crossing following the fatal accident of female doctor Waraluck Supawatjariyakul last week.

Royal Thai Police Deputy Commissioner Damrongsak Kittipraphat along with Transport and Traffic officials inspected the crossing near the hospital on Phayathai Road in Bangkok this afternoon, January 26th.

The Deputy Commissioner told the press after the inspection that there were no signal lights at the crosswalk as it was located near Phayathai Intersection where most vehicles would drive at high speed to pass the green lights. Vehicles on the right lane may be visually blocked by other vehicles on the left side, possibly invisible to see any pedestrians.

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/01/26/royal-thai-police-to-consider-removing-crosswalk-at-kidney-institute-hospital-following-fatal-road-accident-in-bangkok/

PattayaNews.jpg

-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-01-27

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 7

After they painted all those little squares on the  side and down

middle of the road, then they thought a bit more ,and decided

the best way was to get rid of it, leaving people to run over the

road to cross it.

regards Worgerdie

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, robblok said:

its more a ploy to aliviate the shame of having a police officer mowing down a pedestrian

Indeed. Tremendous loss of face in having one of their fellow men hit a pedestrian, in what was obviously the wrong place, the crosswalk. Solution? Remove the crosswalk.

Now if it happens again, what was that naughtly pedestrian doing there without a crosswalk? Shameless.

Also, forget all those rumours about the bike not having a plate, not being registered, not even his bike, "borrowed" from the well known RTP toy box called police impound. All FAKE NEWS.

Image credit: Siam Rath, Walmart

kidsandtheirtoys.jpg

toybox.jpg

Edited by CrunchWrapSupreme
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, rodknock said:

sure blame the pedestrians, not the person who hits them.

is this going to be the new Thailand, remove zebra strips from crosswalk that has an accident.

with that mentality why not remove all the zebra crosswalks in Thailand, then you can never blame a driver.

it will only make it a nightmare for pedestrians that want to cross.

the zebra strips at corners with lights are useless!!!!!

set up a random cross walk watch and do there job of writing tickets, that would be a novel idea!!!!! 

Probably smart to remove all zebra crossings.  No driver pays attention, and it gives a false sense of security.

Better drivers?  Law enforcement?  Let's be realistic ????

Move the crosswalk means moving the accident black sport to another location....

Thailand has no safety experts, so import some, to show you how to do it,  & how to drive while they're at it .. but  Thailand knows best !!  it will never happen, the police drive the same as all other Thais   so what do they know ...

• Like 2

How about start removing motor vehicles from certain areas, or at least ruthlessly enforce a 30kmh speed limit, charge with manslaughter any driver who kills a pedestrian and whatever the circumstances. All these changes make steady progress on the different planet I come from.

• Thanks 1

I like to walk the path along the Saen Saep canal, from the RR tracks under the freeway near Suk soi one, all the way to Asoke. The terrible part is at one-way soi 3 where there is no ped crossing, no way to walk under the bridge, and the traffic is coming fast from the intersection a bit north at Phetchaburi Road. One just has to wait for a gap. Thrilling, not.

Guessing most people replying have no idea where said crosswalk is.  It's on a major road, 6 lane divided road.  

https://www.google.com/maps/@13.7591474,100.534994,3a,75y,37.08h,93.43t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-fUJP2Q-_NvNQljSw6MCow!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Sorry, as wrong as the officer 'may' have been, the responsibility of pedestrians crossing is to look before crossing, to make sure it's safe to, then proceed.  Especially at that location, as vehicle cruise rather quickly on that road.  Even though there is an overhead, flashing yellow crosswalk warning sign for drivers, I wouldn't expect anyone driving < 60 kph.

TBH, I would have been cruising rather fast myself on that road.  60 kph easily.

Considering that road, I find it hard to believe the doc did that, looked carefully before proceeding.  As it is straight away, both direction with no blind spots.  People really do need to take responsibility for themselves.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

Royal Thai Police to consider removing crosswalk at Kidney Institute Hospital following fatal road accident in Bangkok.

So much 'consideration', so little action, as with all government functions.

Hope is not a plan.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

My god they're all trying to jump on the bandwagon. Typical knee jerk reactions all round to try and appear virtuous.

"Quick, say something for god's sake. It doesn't matter if it's ridiculous - just look like we're doing something until this awkward incident blows over".

And all because of the status and attractiveness of the victim. As I said on another thread, if this had been some poor, dark skinned, "ugly" cleaner from the same hospital we'd never have even heard of it. It's not like traffic fatalities are rare in Thailand, there have probably been a dozen already today and it's only 10:30am.

This is the Thai equivalent of missing white woman syndrome. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, paddyfield7 said:

Why always force pedestrians to use under- and overpasses, so that the traffic can go straight and fast? How about the motorized traffic going through underpasses or over bridges, and let pedestrians safely walk at ground level?

Well it is 6 lane divided road / highway.  And a long stretch of for city road.  I think the hospital should have built an overpass to accommodate staff & customers, if crossing is needed.

Any 6 lane divided hwy should in itself scream ... be extremely careful when crossing.  Didn't watch the vid, but if described as above, doc should have peeked around that van to make sure the coast was clear before proceeding.  Surely she did not.

• Like 2