Immigration seem to be deliberately making marriage extensions more difficult

1 hour ago, konaboy said:

I've been working for months to get approval for my extension on retirement out of Buriram Amphur. They sent me back to CW for another stamp. Off to US Embassy to stamp my Pass Port. Have Thai Birth Certificate and Thai PP for my son. Then wanted MORE documents translated! I am going around in circles. Asking for a child extension.

Is this covid extension you’re talking about, or extension based on parent of Thai?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Wookie said:

Well they accepted black ink for 12 years. What's annoying is the constant changing of the requirements. Seeing other people's posts it is also obvious that each office has different rules

You know what it's like, you are just expected to know and doesn't mean they weren't cursing you behind your back for 12 years.

I learned on my first job, I used to sign in with red or black pens until I someone plucked up the courage, other occasions when I have forgotten the wife has pulled me up. My OCD hates it, I have never used blue bullpens in 50 years .. anyway, its just pen color, dont want to go on, but maybe someone else reading this will learn.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

It's been on the cards for some time. Can only see it getting worse too. 

I got pelters on here back in 2018 for suggesting it was reticent government policy to reduce the number of long stayers in Thailand over the next few years.

Looks like I was right and even without COVID that is over a 50% reduction in retirees. 

Have stated as such on innumerable occasions since the junta took up office. Some won’t see any difference, but in general it does look like it’s getting trickier and marriage would be the first port of call for change. If they are indeed doing a squeeze, do folk think it’s in favour of incoming long stay visas for the well heeled and Elite visas?

That piece of flimsy red card they give you for marriage has 14 requirements on it, plus they demand you have 2 copies of everything.

I now have a 13 page photocopy of my passport after the last fiasco. That is what they will get everytime they ask for it.

Edited by OneeyedJohn

4 hours ago, zoza said:

they are doing their best to iradicate  the ''marrige visa'' 

it took me three weeks last year, and every thing that

could be challenged was challenged.

i even had one demand that was the total opposite of

what another farang sitting next to me ,who had what

they said was correct, but he got denied. the wife gave

them 12k everything was then ok,

I did my second marriage extension last October at Kamphaeng Phet and the lady IO there turned my first application down because of the many errors (my fault) in it. She explained the problems to my wife and we went back 2 weeks later I passed with flying colours. No money changed hands, and the IO was cheerful and helpful.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I did my second marriage extension last October at Kamphaeng Phet and the lady IO there turned my first application down because of the many errors (my fault) in it. She explained the problems to my wife and we went back 2 weeks later I passed with flying colours. No money changed hands, and the IO was cheerful and helpful.

Good to read another take on "story" of experience.

Problems with extensions based on marriage possibly the most common if threads.

Even more so when using income method..

Many folk don't have a clue what's required and are not organized.

If someone deals with office and gets a hard time with (for example) income method then ain't rocket science to use money in back. etc etc.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

did my marriage visa at Jomtien this year ,last year so easy ,but this year for some reason she said my bank letter was wrong ,as it did not show money going in and out ,i said thats because i dont use it for that ,except the 2k i took out this morning ,anyway sent us back to the bank ,they were as flumoxed as me ,but rewrote the bank letter ,she took one look at it ,said ok ,thats better (it was no different)lol ,immigration police came few days after ,took a couple of pics of our neighbour and us on the lawn then left ,they have only ever come into the house once ,

ps always use blue ink.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Good to read another take on "story" of experience.

Problems with extensions based on marriage possibly the most common if threads.

Even more so when using income method..

Many folk don't have a clue what's required and are not organized.

If someone deals with office and gets a hard time with (for example) income method then ain't rocket science to use money in back. etc etc.

That is of course if you actually have the money in the bank and are happy for it to be tied up and/or replaced every year.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, billd766 said:

That is of course if you actually have the money in the bank and are happy for it to be tied up and/or replaced every year.

I find that such a lame excuse.

The 400k tied up for 2-3 months and then can be used to live from for next several.

The married guys financial requirements are such a cheezy break.

If someone married to a Thai can't tie up 12k USD for couple of months then how sad is that. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

18 hours ago, Wookie said:

we had to re- sign them at the bottom of their stamp.

Marriage visa has always been more difficult that retirement visa which is a one stop service where as marriage must be proven. The resigning is a new thing as we used to just sign the bottom of the copy but there is a boxed stamp that the signature must be within to show that you actually signed it in the presents of the officer. The proof of income or pension is normal as you would do with the retirement extension, letter from bank etc. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Nickelbeer said:

. Like many people, I didn't arrive here with 12 thousand dollars to park in a bank.

Yet you can live in a foreign country be married to Thai and can't put 12k USD into a bank for couple of months.

The very money that you are then allowed to spend and live off, as the funds do not need to remain in the bank. Spare me. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

10 hours ago, Lite Beer said:

Anyone considering applying for extensions for Marriage would be advised to not read this topic.

If you qualify and have the correct documents you will have no problem. Simple as that .

Don't read the trolls in this topic.

Agreed.  I've been on marriage extensions for 9 years and the only time I have had problems is when I have changed Imm. offices which have different requirements.  In those cases I have taken notes to make sure its all correct the following year.  My last extension was in September and it was easiest I have ever done actually requiring less paperwork (only 1 copy of everything and only 3 months of bank statements.  I have only ever had one home visit where they did hint at petrol money which I ignored suggesting that needed to be taken up with their boss....end of story. 

I take the money in the bank route and have never touched it bar the interest, maybe that has made it easier I dont know.  However I do take a filing cabinet of documents each extension application time just in case lol and my app is printed from my PC so no pen colour issues.  I sign with whatever pen they give me.  Maybe I have just been lucky.

• Like 1