Car camera dropping off?

ChomDo

I bought the G-Net G-On 2 dash cam a while ago for my new CRV and the first time my car was parked in the strong sunlight it dropped down. This is not the first time I've had this issue and that was one reason I chose a camera of this flat shape with a large platform for the tape to stick to the windscreen. 

In my old car I had the pipe shaped Hawkeye which is connected from one side only so it's quite obvious that the weight will pull it down one day and that happened with it pulling some of my film out too. Anyway this time I thought I had learned from that experience but can't believe this one came down so quick too.

So the question is if this is just normal in Thailand and how the hell can I get it attached so that it won't come down again? Of course I can take it back to the shop but pretty sure they would use the same tape so what's the point. This is one of the popular and "very professional" car cam shops, but now I've bought two cameras from there and both dropped off so getting a bit upset. I assume the tape comes with the camera so it shouldn't have anything to do with the shop right?

NOTE that the tape didn't drop off the window but the camera from the tape. So now the tape remains stuck hard to the glass but camera is off. Tried putting it back on but won't stay anymore.

I'll attach a picture of the camera if someone knows what those holes in the attachment platform are? If it's meant for the tape only why have those holes there. Would glue better if it's all flat.

Screenshot 2022-01-27 at 16.56.11.png

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I recently had a cracked windshield replaced, had to detach then reattach the dash-cam (Xiaomi Mai A800)...

We used this (below) - the tape from the 3M hooks purchased in 7-11.

That was a couple of months ago - cam still holding fine.

756322770_Screenshot2022-01-27at17_10_40.png.5b5c3e269c9023bf1c88753995253f6a.png

Ok thanks for the hint. I saw that one at Home Pro. I actually tired some M3 "Heavy Duty" double sided tape that's supposed to hold post boxes to the wall and it the cam that ways maybe 100g came down while I was in the shop (without sunlight or heat).

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The holes are for an attachment plate - so that the plate sticks to the window and you can slide your Cam on and off whenever you need. 

I thought so but where are the plates then? You mean they're not supposed to come with the camera?

1 minute ago, worgeordie said:

Super glue , but not too much as you will never get it off.

regards Worgeordie

But that would be gluing the cam to any tinted film you have on your window, and IF you wanted to take it off, so will the film.

2 minutes ago, ChomDo said:

Ok thanks for the hint. I saw that one at Home Pro. I actually tired some M3 "Heavy Duty" double sided tape that's supposed to hold post boxes to the wall and it the cam that ways maybe 100g came down while I was in the shop (without sunlight or heat).

Tired ways!   LOL

14 minutes ago, stubuzz said:

Have the film shop remove a small square of film behind the rear view mirror. Then use 3m VHB tape and attach the cam. Use a backing plate so that the cam can be easily removed.

The issue is the ‘other face’...  i.e. there is no issue with the tape sticking to the windscreen - the issue is that double-sided tape will not stick to the Camera.

It may be that specific type of plastic that tape doesn’t want to stick to, or the surface of the plastic needs cleaning with alcohol etc

39 minutes ago, KannikaP said:
42 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Super glue , but not too much as you will never get it off.

regards Worgeordie

But that would be gluing the cam to any tinted film you have on your window, and IF you wanted to take it off, so will the film.

Not if you glue the ‘double-sided foam tape’ to the camera...    and just allow the other side of the double sided tape to do its job sticking to the windscreen.

The issue there of course is that any glue, superglue etc may melt into the plastic or melt down the foam tape. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, ChomDo said:
36 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The holes are for an attachment plate - so that the plate sticks to the window and you can slide your Cam on and off whenever you need. 

I thought so but where are the plates then? You mean they're not supposed to come with the camera?

IF there is a plate, it should be in the Box with the cam...   If not, then perhaps its not meant to have a mounting plate (my cam does have one - thats why I though it was such). 

Perhaps try cleaning the Cam where the mounting tape attaches with alcohol, or perhaps using some fine emery cloth and actually keying the plastic so the double sided tape sticks to it. 

15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The issue is the ‘other face’...  i.e. there is no issue with the tape sticking to the windscreen - the issue is that double-sided tape will not stick to the Camera.

It may be that specific type of plastic that tape doesn’t want to stick to, or the surface of the plastic needs cleaning with alcohol etc

So it seems. I was actually thinking of sandpapering it a bit to see if that would create a better sticking surface. Actually I shouldn't be bothered to fool around with all this myself since I paid 14,000b for this camera but the camera shop is about 45 min drive away and crazy busy so not fond of the idea of going there – especially if they just use the same type of tape again.

15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

IF there is a plate, it should be in the Box with the cam...   If not, then perhaps its not meant to have a mounting plate (my cam does have one - thats why I though it was such). 

Perhaps try cleaning the Cam where the mounting tape attaches with alcohol, or perhaps using some fine emery cloth and actually keying the plastic so the double sided tape sticks to it. 

Yea I wonder why it would have those mounting holes in the cam if it doesn't come with it. It was installed in the shop so hope they didn't forget to leave it in the box. Anyway not sure if that would help, but I'll check about it.

8 hours ago, Woof999 said:

Does the camera head rotate enough to stick the camera to the back of the rear view mirror rather than the (film covered) windscreen? Clean with alcohol wipe before using double sided tape.

Sure I thought of something like that too. The CRV has a large plastic covering along the windscreen which might work better. I think this whole idea is using stickers is not very smart in the first place. Should always have a proper attachment to the mirror.

2 hours ago, Hitcho56 said:

My M-Pass was doing same. If tape on window is strong , glue some Velcro buttons- strips to tape & dash cam. Strong & easy to take on & off

I thought of that too. Might try if nothing else works.

55 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

You can buy a suction cup on Laz that comes with a variety of different camera fittings 115 baht looks like it may fit. (This is a shot from shopee)

2041158343_images(49).jpg.c30cb89f97b373deceae2565aa48ee03.jpg

Lazada ;

153db0a463f27fb597f4532b19960f3e.jpg_400x400q75.jpg_.webp 6.81 kB · 1 download

As a last option maybe. One reason I buy these flat model cameras is to avoid seeing the camera in front of my face. A very small and flat suction holder might do.

1 minute ago, ChomDo said:

As a last option maybe. One reason I buy these flat model cameras is to avoid seeing the camera in front of my face. A very small and flat suction holder might do.

You will still have the same problem I`m afraid....my dashcam is fixed this way and drops off occasionally.

16 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I recently had a cracked windshield replaced, had to detach then reattach the dash-cam (Xiaomi Mai A800)...

We used this (below) - the tape from the 3M hooks purchased in 7-11.

That was a couple of months ago - cam still holding fine.

756322770_Screenshot2022-01-27at17_10_40.png.5b5c3e269c9023bf1c88753995253f6a.png

I love those. Been in many condos, always wanted to hang things. The 20 baht shop ones always give up after a month or two. Moved up to Ikea ones, they weren't much better. Finally the 3M. Still up after years. Just be sure the surface is clean first.

13 minutes ago, petermik said:

You will still have the same problem I`m afraid....my dashcam is fixed this way and drops off occasionally.

Probably yes. I suppose I'd have to go back to the shop anyway since there are many other issues with the cam. For example I'm not able to set up the G-On Could system (tried everything) and when I look at the videos trough the app (live and archive) the videos are hmm how would you call it like jumping or not smooth...flickering badly Also, non of the fancy lane and collision assist functions seem to be working eventho I switched them on just to test how it works. 

Actually, I'm regretting buying a top of the line camera like this that just has too many functions to think about. The 24hr parking camera is great tho but the rest of it not really needed. But now that it doesn't even stay on the window, I feel more frustrated.

I am having problems with the recording on my dashcam's SB card and have tried various things to sort it out including reformatting the card. I have seen on several websites that they recommend doing this every 3-4 weeks which I have never done in the past.

I am planning to get a new card and wonder what make readers would recommend and where to get it in Pattaya.