Car camera dropping off?

ChomDo

Ok guys I get the point that super glue has the best hold but it's not my first option to stick permanent glue to my new car's film nor the "overpriced" camera I got. I'll try all other options first, thanks.

If the dash cam is separating from the tape still attached to the windscreen, make sure the camera plate is cleaned with with something like alcohol to remove any oils or chemicals before reattaching.

1 hour ago, chickenslegs said:

It's not 100% clear, but the instruction manual seems to show that there should be a fixing plate attached to the windscreen.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1903559/Gnet-G-On.html?page=9#manual

Great observation! I never thought of that. So actually the bracket was fixed to it and now I managed to get it off. Now if I can find the strongest tape I would probably have a better chance to use a bigger surface area to stick to the window.  My car is hardly in the sun but it seems that any time you have to park in the hottest sun, even the best tapes would melt so it's a big problem for sure. Also in this G-ON model the cables are very stiff and the curved front cam cable kind of pulls the cam down a bit. Maybe have to set them better first. 

I'll add a few pics of the set up now without the camera. The CRV does have that big plastic think along the windscreen that could maybe be utilized. 

Screenshot 2022-01-28 at 12.36.47.png

Screenshot 2022-01-28 at 12.37.44.png

Screenshot 2022-01-28 at 12.38.29.png

Screenshot 2022-01-28 at 12.40.58.png

18 hours ago, seedy said:

I paid 20,000 THB for a Pioneer double DIN Android auto compatible stereo that will pair 2 fones and has a front and rear camera

Sounds great for you but won't help my issue here.

Well thanks for all the other answers here and I'll see what I can come up with. From my experience up to now, holding up a car camera in Thailand is a real pain in the ass. That's why I would reconsider buying just the cheaper ones.

14,000 for a dash cam.....bought mine off Lazada 6 years ago 700+ and it,s still going strong....but of course it drops down on the odd occasion same as...wet the back of the suction cup and away we go again....nowt to worry about,the heat/humidity here affects virtually everything at some point.

I just set up the M3 velcro stickers. Not sure if it would last but at least the velcro padding ads some suspension to the contact between cam and windscreen. That could help a bit, but I have a feeling theses would also melt in the sun. Will see soon.

That flat surface with slots in the OP's first picture is where the dashcam can clip onto an optional short bracket that in turn, uses a sucker to stick to the glass. It is not meant to be a glass mounting surface. Since the dashcam has the swiveling lens and doesn't come with a bracket, looks like the reseller provides some double-sided tape instead. Epic fail IMHO since windscreens aren't flat. Fixing that dashcam body direct to the hot glass will only mean its gets way hotter than it should.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/dash-5360-dvr-gps-i1176190518-s2785748917.html

clip.jpg.c25dfbf235157ddba2992ebc9bb02b97.jpg

If not on lazada, available for a few baht at any dashcam reseller on their accessory display.

Edited by NanLaew

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

That flat surface with slots in the OP's first picture is where the dashcam can clip onto an optional short bracket that in turn, uses a sucker to stick to the glass. It is not meant to be a glass mounting surface. Since the dashcam has the swiveling lens and doesn't come with a bracket, looks like the reseller provides some double-sided tape instead. Epic fail IMHO since windscreens aren't flat. Fixing that dashcam body direct to the hot glass will only mean its gets way hotter than it should.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/dash-5360-dvr-gps-i1176190518-s2785748917.html

clip.jpg.c25dfbf235157ddba2992ebc9bb02b97.jpg

If not on lazada, available for a few baht at any dashcam reseller on their accessory display.

Thanks for the idea. At the moment it's staying up nicely with the M3 velcro sticker but didn't leave the car parked in the sun yet so hard to say how it would last in the heat. That suction model might work fine but one of the main reasons I only buy the flat model dash cams is that I want it hidden behind the mirror and not hanging down in front of my face. If this suction model is small it may be possible to still have it behind the mirror tho. Might be worth getting one anyway to try if the velcro drops down later. 

18 hours ago, ChomDo said:

Thanks for the idea. At the moment it's staying up nicely with the M3 velcro sticker but didn't leave the car parked in the sun yet so hard to say how it would last in the heat. That suction model might work fine but one of the main reasons I only buy the flat model dash cams is that I want it hidden behind the mirror and not hanging down in front of my face. If this suction model is small it may be possible to still have it behind the mirror tho. Might be worth getting one anyway to try if the velcro drops down later. 

I can appreciate hiding it out of sight. I have a cheaper one with the little viewer screen which is normally turned off for regular driving but I have it high enough that it fits 90% behind the mirror using the shortest after-market suction cup gizmo that I could find.

There's also some 3M branded double-sided tape available that's specifically for higher temp/vibration use. I use it to hold my rear dash cam holder against the back window of my truck. I bought the tape at HomePro, normally overpriced IMHO but they had a BOGOF offer that fitted my wallet better.