Prayut to find Thai workers to fill Saudi labour shortage

webfact

Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-ocha instructed related agencies to find Thai workers willing to work in Saudi Arabia within two months to quickly enhance labour cooperation between the two kingdoms.

Bruhaaawaaa................what could possibly go wrong??   Plane fulls of out of work Thai Masseuses will be boarding in a couple weeks for Riyadh. :cheesy:

1 hour ago, IAMHERE said:

My speculation is more dire; they want Thai muslims attending their mosque's.

A question raised in my mind focused on easier recruiting of Thai labor for Saudi Arabia from the Moslem South of Thailand? Their going and getting exposed to the Wahhabi Islam outlook and coming back to Southern Thailand ... hmm.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, varun said:

It's karma - pure and simple.

How the Thai's treat migrant laborers from Myanmar, Laos & Cambodia is how the Saudi's will treat migrant labors from Thailand.

"Karma"?

For who exactly?

Barely literate, badly educated, dirt poor Thai peasants?

Don't you think they have "enough" already?

Maybe you think Prayuth, his masters, and the people delivering what they all consider to be "livestock", will be wringing their hands in anguish as it is being mistreated?

They couldn't give a ****.

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Thailand used to send loads of workers to Saudi, but after the jewel theft saga and the way the Thais scammed the Saudi that lost the jewels Thailand was banned from sending workers. I wonder how much crow was eaten to get the Saudis to allow Thai workers back.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-60133105

Saudi Arabia and Thailand have ended a 30-year row over a scandal involving stolen jewels and a string of murders.

They definitely know something we don't.

Maybe the Thais have returned some of the real jewelry, maybe even given the Saudis an official 'off-the-record' apology. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, phetphet said:

I recall there was a documentary a few years ago about how the foreign labour, mainly Filipino, Indian and Pakistani were badly treated there, and had pay witheld. Virtual slave labour.

The way immigrant labour was treated was well known among the expats, but of course there was sod all we could do about it, and we were there for the money.

They needed western nurses and doctors so they did treat us quite well, but as one went up the food chain the goodies got quite impressive.

Something that grated with nurses was that depending on origin, nurses got paid different rates despite doing same job. So, American nurses got loadsacash, British got rather less, and the Filipinos got rather less again.

My Filipino charge nurse actually got paid about the same or less than British nurses ( don't remember the amount now, as it was long ago ). An American charge nurse would have been minting it large.

Didn’t the Thai government just sign a law against slave labor? Just look at what’s been going in Qatar for years now, where mostly foreign (Asian) workers have been building football stadiums for the world cup at the end of this year, thousands of them dying because of unsafe working conditions, almost all of them housed poorly. Hope the Thai workers that end up in Saudi Arabia are treated more fairly.

2 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

Didn’t the Thai government just sign a law against slave labor? Just look at what’s been going in Qatar for years now, where mostly foreign (Asian) workers have been building football stadiums for the world cup at the end of this year, thousands of them dying because of unsafe working conditions, almost all of them housed poorly. Hope the Thai workers that end up in Saudi Arabia are treated more fairly.

Yes the Saudis have a long history of human rights.

VIOLATIONS. 

11 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Yes the Saudis have a long history of human rights.

VIOLATIONS. 

I know. Plenty of stories out there of (Filipina) maids not getting paid, having to work 16 hours a day, being treated like doormats or slaves, or even being abused and /or tortured. Not to mention how they treat their own people, especially women. And all because a power hungry clique of royals and clergy want to stay in power, no matter what. And the USA is their biggest ally.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

I know. Plenty of stories out there of (Filipina) maids not getting paid, having to work 16 hours a day, being treated like doormats or slaves, or even being abused and /or tortured. Not to mention how they treat their own people, especially women. And all because a power hungry clique of royals and clergy want to stay in power, no matter what. And the USA is their biggest ally.

Enabled by the dependency on oil and the derivatives by the west

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:
6 hours ago, Moonlover said:

And just how do you know this? In fact given that there's been hardly any international travel since early 2020 how do you suppose they even managed to get there?

6 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

Ever heard of social media - facebook, snapchat, instagram ? 

And have you ever heard of visas and sponsors? Thais do not and cannot just hop on a plane and hotfoot to the middle east whenever they fancy. And that would be especially true when the world was in a Covid lock down.

And before you get anymore involved in your waffling, you're talking to someone who has worked for many years in the middle east and so has my Thai wife. In fact we meet there. So I know things function in that part of the world.

Indeed we had many Thai friends stuck in the middle east without income or the means to home.

13 hours ago, webfact said:

Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-ocha instructed related agencies to find Thai workers willing to work in Saudi Arabia

"P.S.: Make sure you pick ones who aren't opportunistic thieves. We cannot afford another 30 years of diplomatic limbo with the Saudis, let alone suffer a bad image in the eyes of the world"

13 minutes ago, Misterwhisper said:

"P.S.: Make sure you pick ones who aren't opportunistic thieves. We cannot afford another 30 years of diplomatic limbo with the Saudis, let alone suffer a bad image in the eyes of the world"

I somehow feel worrying about a "bad image" bit is abit of a fantasy, the current regime does not project good image, and all ready is world renowned for  its incompetence on many levels.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

I somehow feel worrying about a "bad image" bit is abit of a fantasy, the current regime does not project good image, and all ready is world renowned for  its incompetence on many levels.

Exactly. However, I am quite sure "they" see it very differently.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Having lived in Saudi for some years, I sincerely hope that the Thai government sets up a monitoring program to ensure the conditions under which they live and work are satisfactory, and that they do get paid what they should get paid. Any that agree to go there should not have to pay to do so- that was an atrocious scam in the time I was there.

There is just as big a scam with Thai agencies employing them here...

• Like 1

When I was there in the 80's most of the staff in Saudia Catering were Thai. I did hire some of them occasionally when I held bigger functions at home. They did a very good job IMO.

Likewise, the production manager in the Pepsi factory in Jeddah at that time, who was a Brit, liked his Thai shift much better than Filipinos. He said, they just came in on the shift and did the work without wasting time.

This spectacularly incapable leader cannot solve any problems at home. He has presided over and been responsible for what should be called the PED (Prayuth economic destruction). And now he wants to send his people to a despot nation (run by a foul prince), notorious for abusing foreign workers in countless ways, and not paying what they owe.

Continue the trend Cha Cha. The destruction is now almost complete. This kind of foolishness is expected of you. It is correct this is not because of luck. It was because of poor decision making, a horrible fate for the people, and selling them out, as usual. 

Edited by spidermike007

18 hours ago, steven100 said:

well we know the agency will take their slice every month and they usually charge a months wages for the initial job. As for thai's getting paid,  they should get a proper contract which details monthly salary and conditions,  if those conditions are not met then the Thai's should be able to return immediately ... but i'll bet london to a brick on that that won't be the case ..... normally they keep their passports so they can't leave anyway,  and when they get there and start working .... usually nothing is as it was suppose to be .... wages, living conditions etc ....     but there's not much they can do once there.

desperate times / desperate measures

since this gov't has been slow to allow tourism in, their only option is to send Thais out to get the money. it's a win-win-win for the king, generals and agencies. we will see how the Thai laborers fare, they might be sacrificed for the good of the economy. but at least in Saudi they will have food and a bed for their troubles, whereas if they wait in Thailand, they could be waiting until the day they die.

Prayut has screwed up on all the major decisions, but for the first time, I can say I'm with Prayut on this one. your dear leader got it right this time, steven100. now check the paperwork, the devil is in the details and he can still screw this one up!

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

This spectacularly incapable leader cannot solve any problems at home. He has presided over and been responsible for what should be called the PED (Prayuth economic destruction). And now he wants to send his people to a despot nation (run by a foul prince), notorious for abusing foreign workers in countless ways, and not paying what they owe.

Continue the trend Cha Cha. The destruction is now almost complete. This kind of foolishness is expected of you. It is correct this is not because of luck. It was because of poor decision making, a horrible fate for the people, and selling them out, as usual. 

selling them for the good of the country tho. they will die here, no more gov't welfare funds, no more tourism, no more real estate development. no more options. it's a 3rd world country with lagging education and no prospects. at least it will be fewer mouths to feed back home. Prayut's worked himself into a corner, and this is the only way out. as he found out, leading a country isn't as easy as whatever generals in Thailand do all day. he should have left it to the pros, but that's what you get with a junta coup - indentured servitude

7 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

And who fills in the labour shortage that Thailand has?

migrant workers from myanmar, cambodia and laos usually, though it's not necessarily a labor shortage, more like jobs the locals dont want to do, as happens in many countries.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, steven100 said:

well we know the agency will take their slice every month and they usually charge a months wages for the initial job. As for thai's getting paid,  they should get a proper contract which details monthly salary and conditions,  if those conditions are not met then the Thai's should be able to return immediately ... but i'll bet london to a brick on that that won't be the case ..... normally they keep their passports so they can't leave anyway,  and when they get there and start working .... usually nothing is as it was suppose to be .... wages, living conditions etc ....     but there's not much they can do once there.

Far as I know, and in my experience passports are always taken and a Saudi document called an igama is issued. They know how to make it difficult to run.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sead said:

I hope he can also take responsibility for all the bad things happening to foreign workers ithere. Like taken passports from them etc

Taking passports is normal procedure there, for all expats, far as I know. All expat workers in the hospital I worked at had to hand over our passports soon as arrived.

11 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Enabled by the dependency on oil and the derivatives by the west

Indeed.  I knew few expats that would have stayed there a minute longer than necessary if not for the LARGE wages.

It was so bad that even the LARGE wages couldn't make me stay.

Beautiful country and the Bedouin were lovely people, but otherwise............................................

Considering the reports on what happens to Filipino servants and workers who are treated as slaves by the Saudi's, If I was Thai I would be very wary of working there. I believe word has now got around in the Philippines about the atrocious treatment of their nationals and recruitment is difficult there so Saudi is now looking for fresh meat to fill the gaps

• Like 2