I left Thailand in 2020 while I was on extension of stay without cancelling it

Dear all,

Almost two years ago, I left Thailand to come back to my home country, but I didn't cancel my extension of stay based on ED visa at Immigration (everything legit, I was actually going to school for studying Thai, no agency involved).

I'm planning to go back to Thailand soon, will I face any problems due to the non-cancellation when I arrive in BKK?

I've read somewhere they will charge me for overstay, is that true?

Thanks for your help.

No problem for you since you had a extension of attending a school.

The only one that can be a problem is a extension based upon working not being canceled. A few offices have insisted that the extension be canceled before they would issue a new one based upon working.l

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

No problem for you since you had a extension of attending a school.

The only one that can be a problem is a extension based upon working not being canceled. A few offices have insisted that the extension be canceled before they would issue a new one based upon working.l

Thanks everybody.

Just one more question, would it be a problem in case I want to apply for another ED visa (while in Thailand) and extension?

I would arrive with tourist visa, convert to NON O inside country and apply for extension after that (for real studying Thai language).

Cheers

17 minutes ago, Cletus said:

Just one more question, would it be a problem in case I want to apply for another ED visa (while in Thailand) and extension?

It will not be a problem as I wrote before.

18 minutes ago, Cletus said:

I would arrive with tourist visa, convert to NON O inside country and apply for extension after that (for real studying Thai language).

How easy that will be to do depends upon the school you are attending.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, natway09 said:

A little off subject but I think you also nowadays need to ensure that a Non B extension is cancelled 

before they will issue an 0 retirement visa.

Some offices actually tell you that need to leave the country, please correct me if I am wrong

To change the reason for your extension in country based on working to another extension type does require the cancellation of your extension based on working. It is incorrect, in principle, to state that you need to leave the country and return before you can apply for an extension (such as retirement) that only requires you be in Thailand on a Non Immigrant entry. Bad luck if you run into officials that try to create their own extra rules.